Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

lgbtq task force turning there back on us?

Started by amber roskamp, April 14, 2015, 11:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amber roskamp

I'm sure some of you know about Michigan's women's music fest and how they have been opposed to being inclusive of trans women for like 30 years. And equality Michigan had a petition to boycott the event which the task force initially signed, but then reversed its opinion stating that it is an important event for women. What is ur thoughts on this?
  •  

Devlyn

The story I read said they were dropping the petition in favour of direct talks?

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

amber roskamp

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on April 14, 2015, 12:01:55 PM
The story I read said they were dropping the petition in favour of direct talks?

Hugs, Devlyn
yes but direct talks have been happening for years and years.
  •  

suzifrommd

Until our community stands up for itself, these sorts of things will happen. We can't expect others to fight our battles.

Lunch counters in the south didn't open for black people until they were forced. The MWMF is the transgender women's lunch counter.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

amber roskamp

I think there is some kind of shift going on within the orgs I mentioned. Equality Michigan now has a new executive director and the old one, who resigned yesterday, was an amazing ally to the trans communities and put trans specific issues at the forefront of their agenda. I also know that they lost lots of funding over the michfest petition. I am not great with political stuff but the timing is wierd.
  •  

skin

Transadvocate also dropped their support for the petition as well. I think this is a case of them legitimately believing a less adversarial approach is best as opposed to them turning their backs on trans people.
"Choosing to be true to one's self — despite challenges that may come with the journey — is an integral part of realizing not just one's own potential, but of realizing the true nature of our collective human spirit. This spirit is what makes us who we are, and by following that spirit as it manifests outwardly, and inwardly, you are benefiting us all." -Andrew WK
  •  

Jill F

There are a lot of high profile artists including The Indigo Girls that refuse to play Michfest until transwomen are welcome.

I personally would not attend such a thing because they exclude men as well. I don't believe in exclusion of any kind, and quite honestly I don't think it would be much fun to spend the day in that kind of atmosphere. 

I also much prefer heavy metal.
  •  

amber roskamp

Quote from: skin on April 14, 2015, 12:42:59 PM
Transadvocate also dropped their support for the petition as well. I think this is a case of them legitimately believing a less adversarial approach is best as opposed to them turning their backs on trans people.
yes maybe but are we sure that trans women within the the task force were the ones who made the descision to drop the name off the petition or was it cis people making the decision and claiming that it is what is best for trans women. Also other national queer groups have used  done some shady stuff with how they "included " trans people in there "advocacy" as recently as last year here in Michigan. I won't go Into details, but let's just say we got sidelined and then blamed when the outcome didn't go the way we hoped.
  •  

skin

Transadvocate the organization dropped their support.
"Choosing to be true to one's self — despite challenges that may come with the journey — is an integral part of realizing not just one's own potential, but of realizing the true nature of our collective human spirit. This spirit is what makes us who we are, and by following that spirit as it manifests outwardly, and inwardly, you are benefiting us all." -Andrew WK
  •  

Dee Marshall

According to what I read on Transadvocate's website today, Michfest refused to even negotiate with any group that signed the petition. Transadvocate basically said, we withdrew our signatures, now put up or shut up. There was a strong implication that the signatures would go right back if talks didn't start soon. I don't think I can blame them for "unsigning". Personally I don't go where I'm not wanted or accept what's offered grudgingly. It's a shame that the event is held in a state park. I would love to see a coalition of trans women buy the venue, then happily let them use it even if we're disinvited. I know we, collectively, are more mature than they're acting.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

amber roskamp

yes I just read the open letter they posted today. so I see that all three groups are working together, but I still think it is kinda ridiculous. I mean say they chat (probably won't happen) and they desire to make it inclusive. It doesn't mean that the event is truly gonna be welcoming to trans women , or that the events  organizers aren't transmisogynist. The best result would be if michfest was shut down and a new more inclusive women's music fest was started instead
  •