Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Warning about Smartphone Apps

Started by Shantel, October 11, 2014, 11:04:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shantel

Something all Smartphone users should be aware aware of.

Warning about  Flashlight Apps on Smartphones.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q8xz8xKEFvU
  •  

Pikachu

I'm somewhat concerned, as I'm typing this message on my smartphone, but I can't waste my limited data watching videos. I don't know what a Flashlight app is, though, so I guess I'm okay?
  •  

Jaime R D

Never installed a flashlight app and wouldn't. I'm always careful about apps, I don't even use them on fb.  I have antivirus on my phone too.
  •  

Apples Mk.II

More like being aware about what permissions the app requests before installing it. The old history with the flashlight app was that it was a disguised tethering app... something that apple totally did not like.
  •  

shikapo

Like your feedback very much. Great pleasure.
  •  

LordKAT

Good thing I still only use a dumb phone.  It is the only one I can figure out how to use and then only half of it.
  •  

AnonyMs

Has anyone checked the permissions of the Tapatalk app used for Susans?

On Android it requires "Identity".

Needless to say I'm not using it. My username is quite literal.

•  

Shantel

I suppose everything now has some kind of malware or spyware, I even have a Safeway customer card that allows me discounts, they know all my grocery shopping habits and I'll bet they can even tell how many squares of TP we use on each trip to the bathroom. Privacy has become such a joke, when I get a privacy statement from those I do business with they go right into the recycling bin unread, no point in further insult.
  •  

Wynternight

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/flashlight.asp

Old thread, I know, but bad info is bad info, regardless of the age of the thread.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

ImagineKate

I deleted all my flashlight apps when iOS7 came out. It has a built in flashlight feature.
  •  

Stephanie2

I just got a smart phone a few months ago. It can be a scary thing to have. Always worried about the privacy thing. I don't even go into my own email on it. Viruses are another thing. I heard that if your phone gets a virus, at least it isn't transferred to your home computer.
  •  

kelly_1979

My main phone is still a Nokia 808 (yes, the Symbian with 41mp camera). There are really no issues there.
Trying to emerge to my real self
  •