Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Addiction Free without 12 Step or any other Tx.

Started by Newgirl Dani, April 12, 2015, 11:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newgirl Dani

DISCLAIMER:  Right up front I want it understood that this is not to be about any percieved negative aspects concerning ANY 12 step program.  Having worked in drug treatment for many years, I have witnessed the positive transformation these programs have produced.  Nor is this to be about any comparison between any organized addiction treatment, OR the advocating/dangers of NOT using the above treatment methods.  Also not really necessary to give extensive history of use, or method of quitting, this is mainly about how we STAY addiction free.

OK, with the above in mind, I'll start with a little personal info and I would find it very interesting personally to hear others share.

I used from 1964 until 1996, almost exclusively injectable meth for the first third, a mixed bag (no pun intended  ::)) the second third, and almost entirely alcohol the last third of my using.  The first few years of sobriety was consumed by mostly a mental fog, and trying to figure out how to hold a job (had never worked a job in all the 60's, 70's, 80's).  Looking back on these early years, roughly 1998 on, I believe I drew most of my strength from having never been within any part of society.  What I mean by this is, my loner lifestyle provided the survivor skills necessary. 

As time went on I began to realize that while the tools of survival alone would indeed in all probability continue to work for staying clean and sober, I realized how important social contacts would play a role.  Problem was, was that I had no clue whatsoever what people did, what they talked about, their values, or how they got through each and every day.  To this day, I have no idea why 12 step never occured to me, but due to the nature of the above disclaimer, that can be some other discussion. 

I began to "people watch", I looked at and examined their every move (body language), notions, methods of diverting conversations away from sensitlve areas/and trying to figure out why, the masks they wore and what purpose those masks performed.  Slowly I began to pick through all this information, discarding some, and incorporating others.  There came a point when I became confident enough to place myself into a learning/social environment, meaning I started college.  This was a huge learning experience, funny thing was, I failed interpersonal communication class three times  :laugh:, so I finally took a speech class to make up for it, I was still far too outspoken and did not have the ability yet to be concerned with others feelings.

Well three degrees later, an number of different employment situations, a total of about 19 years sobriety, and a daily regimen of self examination, I finally reached gender issues etc., and now here I am  ;D.  For now I suppose that is good enough to start, and like I said I would really like to hear how people live on in their daily lives, problems, wins, tools etc..

Have a cool day.   Dani   
  •  

sam1234

With or without the 12 step, what you did was admirable. Its not easy to overcome addiction of any type, let alone without a lot of outside help. I lost a good friend to infection secondary to shooting up and watched him go through hell for several years. In and out of detox programs, counseling etc. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever known. Even if he was in his own crisis, he would put his aside to help someone else. His death at 31 was tragic.

Pat yourself on the back for those 19 years of sobriety. its a huge accomplishment and a role model for those who are addicted. As far as how you did it, It think what works for one person may not work for another, and its an individual thing. I do believe you have to be ready though or no amount of counselling or detox is going to stop an addiction.

Congratulations!

sam1234
  •  

kelly_aus

I was a meth and coke addict for a number of years and one day, after I'd been awake for way too long, I realised I was at a crossroad. I could quit and move on or I could stay on the road I was on and let the inevitable happen.

I choose life. I quit. Cold turkey. Yes, I felt like death for about 2 weeks, but that was part of my plan - I never, ever, ever want to feel that near to death again. Staying clean hasn't been hard - I just think of how bad I felt when I got clean.

I'm familiar with the AA 12-step program and feel it wouldn't work for me, there are several aspects to it that I plain don't agree with. Like the "once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic" line.. I'm not a meth or coke addict any more and haven't been since the day I walked away from it. I've had both on 2 or 3 occasions since and I wake up the next day and think, 'Why the hell did I do that? I feel like crap." and have no pressing need to keep doing it.. The "faith" aspect also doesn't sit well for me.

My method doesn't work for everyone, but in the same idea, I don't think a 12-step program will work for everyone either.
  •  

Newgirl Dani

Thanks for your words sam1234, and congrats to you kelly_aus on your own style of personal strength.

As to both of your comments about us all being a bit different, and that what works for one may or may not work for another, is the main reason for the thread.  It is our differences that I'm hoping for.  A place where someone just may be able to pick out that one thing from that one post that will make the difference in their success.  I will probably be a bit too busy in the near future with my garden work to stop in here much, so thanks in advance to any and all who reply.

Anyone who needs anything is welcome to PM me anytime.   Dani
  •  

allisonsteph

I have been clean 332 days after a life long battle with alcohol, barbiturates, and opiates.

The last day I used I attempted suicide and was hospitalized for 12 days. One of the conditions of my release was that I begin attending 12 step meetings. I started attending with no intention of it working, I just wanted my five signatures as proof that I had attended five meetings. I'm not a fan of the steps or the faith based aspect of it, but I was able to find comfort in the meetings. I enjoy the sense of community. I found people that I could share with, people who understood me. It was the first place I didn't feel like I was being looked down upon for being trans. I go to maybe one meeting a month now at most, and I don't work the steps at all; but the point I am trying to make is that even though I have not used the program as it was intended to be used, I did find it to be helpful.

I think it is very important to remember that different things work for different people and no method of getting clean should ever be brushed aside. If you are suffering from addiction and are ready to change, please, please, please don't dismiss any method of quitting.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •