Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Girls Scouts Have Awesome Response To 'Family' Group That Wants To Ban Trans Sco

Started by traci_k, May 21, 2015, 02:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traci_k

Girls Scouts Have Awesome Response To 'Family' Group That Wants To Ban Trans Scouts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/21/girls-scouts-transgender-girls_n_7371782.html?utm_hp_ref=transgender

The Huffington Post  |  By Cavan Sieczkowski

Posted: 05/21/2015 2:01 pm EDT Updated: 23 minutes ago

A "family" group doesn't want transgender girls accepted into the Girl Scouts of America, but the Girl Scouts sure don't care.

Last week, the American Family Association launched a petition demanding the Girl Scouts rescind their policy welcoming transgender girls. The petition reads: "This means girls in the organization will be forced to recognize and accept transgenderism as a normal lifestyle. Boys in skirts, boys in make-up and boys in tents will become a part of the program. This change will put young innocent girls at risk."
In a May 14 blog pot, Archibald noted that the scouts have "valued and supported all girls," not just "one type of girl," since the organization was founded in 1912.

"If a girl is recognized by her family, school and community as a girl and lives culturally as a girl, Girl Scouts is an organization that can serve her in a setting that is both emotionally and physically safe," she wrote. "Inclusion of transgender girls is handled at a council level on a case by case basis, with the welfare and best interests of all members as a top priority."

-------------------------------------------------
I guess the Girl Scouts are still being harassed by the American Family Association because there have been almost daily posts.

I love the line "valued and support all girls. not just one type of girl."

And if a girl is recognized by her family, school, community and lives as a girl they will support her!

KUDOS to the Girl Scouts!!!!

I'm buyin' all the cookies I can find, (especially if they're coated in chocolate)
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

Erica_Y

This is an example of some great social leadership by an international organization. I think there is going to be some cookies in my future as well and I hope they go straight to my butt and hips  ;D

Just awesome!!
  •  

suzifrommd

Massively triggers me. How much better adjusted socially would I have been if I'd had an opportunity to join the girl scouts. I was a boy scout, and found it quite alienating.

Andrea Archibald, here's to you!
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Ms Grace

I tried out a boys group thing once (only at the unrelenting insistence of a friend), I never went back. Boy group things were not for me so I can relate to what you're saying Suzi.

Quote"This change will put young innocent girls at risk."

Because apparently young trans girls are neither innocent nor at risk...  ???
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Laura_Squirrel

•  

Laura_7

At risk for what ?
If she is for example on anti androgens it demasculinizes.

Australia's highest court ruled in 2011 that people who are transgender can be legally recognized as the gender by which they identify without undergoing sexual reassignment surgery. Knowledge of a person's genitalia are not required according to the decision, because the characteristics that define a person's gender are "confined to external physical characteristics that are socially recognizable."

This is from another posting:
Quote from: iKate on May 10, 2015, 10:08:32 PM
I agree but it's a price we pay to live in society without discrimination. If that mindset was applied when we were dealing with segregation and were told that we had to be "sensitive" to the "needs" of people who were uncomfortable among people of color we probably would never have ended it.

We all need to learn to get along and respect each other. That includes cisgender and transgender people learning to coexist.
  •  

iKate

•  

Lady Smith

Girl Scouts are awesome!  Reading about the Girl Scouts and their inclusiveness towards all girls has really made my day.  If the Girl Scouts took over governing the US I think it would be a major step forward for the whole country.
  •  

Greeneyedrebel

Some local Council's don't like this policy much. Here in Louisiana, one of ours has published their own policy in direct contradiction to what the National level has put forth.

http://www.gsle.org/genderstatement/ (original Girl Scouts of Louisiana East statement)

and

http://www.gsle.org/memo-council-ceo-board-chair/ (update memo reaffirming original statement)

I'm a former Girl Scout, and some friends and I are quite disappointed with this. It's causing a bit of a stir down here.
To be or not to be....that is the question
  •