Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Can't use my name?

Started by BenKenobi, May 10, 2015, 09:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenKenobi

I'm not one for jumping to conclusions. I see facts and evidence and go from there for the conclusion. With that, a while ago I asked when I could use my preferred name at work. My boss says when i officially change it. Fair enough I guess. Now I see some of my coworkers who have differing names on their nametag than whatever on the weekly schedule that's posted. It's not just a shortened version either like Jake vs Jacob or something. It's completely different. Am I being singled out or is there some behind-the-scenes thing I'm not noticing?
  •  

Laura_7

Its quite often that people don't like their birth names and choose a nickname.
This nickname does not need to be related to the birth name.
  •  

suzifrommd

You are being discriminated against.

If other employees are allowed to choose the nicknames on their nametags, you should have that right too.

Can you find a gentle but firm way to tell your boss this? Something like, "From now on, I will be putting 'Ben' on my nametag. Since other employees have been using nicknames, I'm assuming I'm accorded the same right they have."
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

BenKenobi

Quote from: Laura_7 on May 10, 2015, 09:14:49 AM
Its quite often that people don't like their birth names and choose a nickname.
This nickname does not need to be related to the birth name.
I'm aware of this. That's not what this is about though
  •  

BenKenobi

Quote from: suzifrommd on May 10, 2015, 09:35:24 AM
You are being discriminated against.

If other employees are allowed to choose the nicknames on their nametags, you should have that right too.

Can you find a gentle but firm way to tell your boss this? Something like, "From now on, I will be putting 'Ben' on my nametag. Since other employees have been using nicknames, I'm assuming I'm accorded the same right they have."
I've been thinking about that. Though I'm afraid that if I do bring it up people will lose the right to use their own preferred names since my boss is a stickler for rules. I could hunt around the employee handbook for anything about it but my boss likes to cockblock us and just say what's in it without letting us see it
  •  

FTMax

Perhaps instead of going on the offense right away, you should ask your coworkers how it is that they came to have nicknames on their nametags. Different places have different style nametags, so it's not always as simple to change it. I've had some that were engraved in hard plastic, and others that had an insert section for laminated paper. It would have been much easier to change that latter.

I'd personally see how they went about it, and then take that knowledge to your supervisor. If they push back after that, go straight to HR and explain the issue, because they've then crossed a line.

Do they collect the badges when people leave? Some of the places I've worked had a container of old ones. If you had forgotten yours and didn't want to put a sticker on, you could pick another name. Ben is pretty common if that's what you're looking for.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

BenKenobi

That is a good idea. Our name badges are just plastic with a laminate sticker on it. Only assistant managers and up have engraved badges. I'm not going on the offensive. I just wasn't aware if any other business worked like this.
  •  

BenKenobi

Just spoke to my comanager about it. She said it's their legal names because it's their middle name so I'm SOL
  •  

FTMax

That's unfortunate.

Depending on where you are though, a legal name change might be the most painless part of transitioning for you. Mine was $40, a trip to the court house to drop it off, and a 2 week wait. I know it's less than ideal if you weren't planning to do it so soon, but it's not the worst option.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

BenKenobi

I think I'll stick with it because i want to change it once i start hormones. I can still ask people to call me Ben. The real issue is my voice. I'm more or less okay with it for now. It was the principle of it, really.
  •