Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

people are following me around

Started by PastyPrincess, May 25, 2015, 01:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PastyPrincess

generally i like to have bows in my hair when i go out. people normally accept it in my area, it's never too much of a big deal, however there's this one group of people that every so often they start following me around and start yelling homophobic and transphobic slurs at me, throwing rocks at me and carrying on like that. It's usually when I'm around the park that's close to my home, and i'm afraid of what's to happen if i keep going out when they're around. Can I go to the police for this? will they do anything? i've had some incidents with them before about threats to my father and they've done nothing about it, but is this different?
Seventeen and strung out on confusion,
Seventeen and coming clean for the first time,
no mom and dad will never understand,
what's happening to me.
  •  

Cindy

Report it to the police straight away. These people are threatening you and assaulting you. These are criminal offences.
  •  

Mariah

The fact they are actually hitting you with those rocks or just barley missing you I would contact police and file a report. Cindy's right they are criminal offenses they are committing. Regardless, I wouldn't go near that park and would give them the time of day. Once they realize they have no audience that is paying attention to their bad behavior hopefully they will move on. Either way don't let them get you done. Be safe. Let us know how things go. Good luck and Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Ms Grace

If there's anyway you can catch their behaviour on camera without them knowing you might have stronger grounds for them to act on it. Talk to the police to see what they can or will do.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Cindy

Just an addition. You Dad is supportive of you so do let him know. Not that we want him to confront them but he needs to know you are safe.
  •  

suzifrommd

In addition to police, I'd try to contact whatever LGBT support organization operates in your area. If there's a PFLAG chapter, that's a place to start. The police often avoid dealing with whatever seems minor to them, so it may help to have an advocate.

You have a right to feel safe and secure in your person. Please demand that right and please don't allow yourself to be satisfied until you are safe.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Lady Smith

Having been pelted with stones once myself by a gang of youths when I was going through transition I feel sorry that you've suffered something the same.  As the other ladies have said you need to report this to the Police because it's assault pure and simple and no-one should have to suffer that.
  •  

katrinaw

hugs ...that's so scary, and criminal, really feeling for you...

Your safety is important, do you need to walk past the park?

Do you have a friend that you could walk with, and maybe as Ms Grace suggested get a video on your phone...

L Katy  :-*

Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

rachel89

OMG, where is this, how are they getting away with it. Get the police involved if you can, if they are willing to throw rocks and get away with it, you cannot be sure of what they might do next. i would also carry something like pepper spray (or bear spray for these animals) or a taser if you can. This seem serious, so I would go out of my way to avoid the park until the problem can be solved.

•  

Jayne

This is terrible, report, report, report!!
If they are not confronted by the police over their actions then there is a good chance their behaviour will get worse.

I was at an LGBT meeting last week here in the UK, we had two members of our local police LGBT team and they urged us to report EVERYTHING, every person who shouts or mutters abuse should be reported according to them. This means that they can build an accurate picture of which areas need an increase in patrols & education.
  •  

Marly

I'm not a lawyer.  But I have a degree in legal studies. So this is not legal advice.
But I can tell you this. If they throw a rock at you, it's criminal assault. If they hit you with a rock, it is assault and battery. You can also seek civil damages (sue them) for injury, and/or intentional infliction of emotional distress.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: PastyPrincess on May 25, 2015, 01:27:09 AM
generally i like to have bows in my hair when i go out. people normally accept it in my area, it's never too much of a big deal, however there's this one group of people that every so often they start following me around and start yelling homophobic and transphobic slurs at me, throwing rocks at me and carrying on like that. It's usually when I'm around the park that's close to my home, and i'm afraid of what's to happen if i keep going out when they're around. Can I go to the police for this? will they do anything? i've had some incidents with them before about threats to my father and they've done nothing about it, but is this different?

You say the cops did nothing about threats to your father? Verbal or physical? The fact that the "yoots" are throwing stones rises this to the level of physical assault which is a misdemeanor if not a felony (it is a felony if someone uses a weapon, in this case a rock would qualify!)

I agree about getting local LGBT organizations involved. If the police aren't being responsive maybe these guys can raise the volume.
  •  

PastyPrincess

Quote from: Cindy on May 25, 2015, 03:07:01 AM
Just an addition. You Dad is supportive of you so do let him know. Not that we want him to confront them but he needs to know you are safe.

It's tough to say but I haven't seen my dad in quite a while.
Seventeen and strung out on confusion,
Seventeen and coming clean for the first time,
no mom and dad will never understand,
what's happening to me.
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: PastyPrincess on June 03, 2015, 03:35:16 AM
Quote from: Cindy on May 25, 2015, 03:07:01 AM

It's tough to say but I haven't seen my dad in quite a while.

Sorry Honey. I misunderstood your post.

Did you report to the Police etc?
  •