Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

what to do?

Started by questions, September 07, 2007, 02:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

questions

So, I have been taking advice and not outing my brother to everyone we knew but he happened to show up the other day when an old friend was over and I was in the garage or something, anyways, my friend introduced themselves kind of inquisitively like they should know my brother and then he said "I am ___ formally known as her sister ____" . Then he came and found me and said- "you didn't explain anything?!"  Now, what am I to do? Do I tell everyone his new situation in case he might show up or not mention anything and let him do it on his own and let it trickle through the grapevine.  I'm not really sure how to bring up the subject anyways.  I was going to tell my friend but it usually then ends up dominating out time together and we had just begun our visit.  If I happen to be using his new name in context and someone asks I will then explain that he is transgendered etc. and try and answer questions.  I just don't think it needs to be something I have to tell everyone.  Any advice would be helpful.  I feel like my post might not have been quite clear so if any clarification is needed just ask. 
Thanks in advance!
  •  

Alison

Ask your brother what he wants :)

If he wants you to tell your friends so that there isn't weirdness when he is around your friends then go ahead and tell them.  But if he'd rather you not, it's more his news to tell :)

None the less spreading this news through friends/family is definitely difficult... Usually I start with asking whoever I'm telling if they understand the term "transgendered" .. If they do, great, build on that... If they don't then I explain to them...

It's all about education... let them ask questions... :)
  •  

Teri Anne

I think Alison's correct:  "ask your brother what he wants."  Of course, you have to feel comfortable about it, too.

I'm somewhat surprised that your brother would EXPECT you to have explained the situation.  I certainly never wanted that and, to this day, don't want that.  I moved to another city to avoid such "outings." 

Recently, I went with a friend to a get-together in another state, California.  I had a nice evening talking with everyone.  I particularly enjoyed talking with the host of the party.  Transsexualism never came up in the conversation.  Imagine my surprise when I found out from my friend that she had, before the party, discussed my male past with that host.  Many post-op transsexuals like me want to forget about our past.  When people know of my male past, it brings up, in my mind, a discomfort:  "What are they thinking and not saying?"  It means that, when I'm talking about the presidential race or the environment, they may be nodding their heads and talking about the same thing but, in the back of their minds, they may be thinking, "hmm, this lady was a guy, huh?"  Without the tip-off, I'm 99% passable.  Even if they agree, in their heads, that I look and sound like a woman, who needs it?

I'm not on this earth to act as an example of transsexualism.  Maybe, in less bigotted times, I'll feel differently.  But when gays are still fighting for a simple thing like marriage, I know it's going to be a long time before acceptance becomes a NORMAL thing for people like me.

My ex never talked to others, "outing" me.  She felt that "good news travels fast -- especially, anything to do with sex."  When I transitioned, the pychologists, as part of the program, demand that I be "honest" with co-workers and friends.  I outed myself so many times.  It lead to long discussions which, as you say, "ends up dominating the out time together."  It can get tiring after awhile.  You long for normal conversations.  I'm guessing that your brother is new to transitioning and, presuming from what you say, likes to talk about it.  He too, like me, may tire of it.

At times, I fight for TS causes.  Most of the time, though, I want to live as any average middle-aged woman would, in peace.

Teri Anne
  •  

questions

You're right- he is new to transitioning.  So we all are new to transitioning.  Again we were out and saw someone I knew so he hung back and was happy when they asked who he was.  He was happy he passed as male, all they said was, I've never met your brother- only your sister.  I just left it at that.  No need to explain to everyone. Soon it won't be an issue I know it just seems to be all encompassing right now......
  •