Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Passport help?

Started by FTMax, May 28, 2015, 04:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTMax

I had to get a passport for work this year in January. This was prior to my name change and obtaining documentation from my doctor about my transition, so according to my passport, I am female with my birth name.

I called and spoke with a customer service supervisor who told me that because I was changing my name and my gender marker, that I would need to pay for a whole new passport. If you are just getting your name changed and your passport was issued less than 2 years ago, there is no fee. Yet, when I go on the website to fill out the forms, it keeps telling me that there is no fee, and telling me to print out a form for a name change instead of the new application.

Has anybody been in a similar situation that could offer guidance? I am already really angry about potentially having to pay another $100+ to get this corrected, and now I'm confused about what I actually need to take in to them.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Sydney_NYC

I had a similar experience with the State Departments website. When going through the web wizard, pretend that you are changing your name and you have lost your passport (but know your passport number.) The correct forms get printed this way just make sure you put the new information in and when it ask you for the old passport information, there will be the option of the old name it was under. I did this October 2014 and had no issues, new passport with correct gender was in my mailbox 4 1/2 weeks later.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

FTMax

Thank you ma'am! That was the procedure that my lawyer had told me to follow, so I was very confused during my conversation with their supervisor. I'll maybe print off the form she told me to fill out and take it with just in case.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •