Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Any other snake owners here?

Started by shadowcat, July 26, 2013, 02:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowcat

Was wondering if there were any other snake owners hanging around here.

I'm fairly new to owning reptiles, e.g. I got my first snake last October (had to wait til I was on my own cause my mom hates snakes... and then I just forgot) A juvenile amelenistic Corn Snake, to be exact.  I'm considering getting a Kenyan Sand Boa once my corn outgrows the 10" tank, and maybe a Boa someday when I have the room and am confident I can handle an 8 ft snake. (5'2" ftw) But for now it's just me and the corn, who's name is Fenris.

I've heard once you get started its hard to have just one  :laugh:
  •  

alex666

I'm not a snake owner currently, but I really want to get one eventually. My mom won't let me get one either haha. I want to get a kenyan sand boa and then maybe a spider ball python. A morph I really like is called nuclear spider but they're wayyyy too expensive haha. I haven't owned reptiles before but I have a lot of time to read up and stuff. My brother used to have a red tail boa named Spunky and now he has a leopard gecko. Geckos are neat too I want to get one some day.
  •  

cmh91

Actually its not much work owning a boa, babies can be nippy though, but after lots of interaction they mellow out, mine was the most relaxed snake i ever owned.
  •  

big kim

I had a one eyed trouser snake for 37 years
  •  

jonjon

I used to own a corn snake. Always wanted a common boa but never had the confidence like you say to handle one. But I know boas are the most docile things on the planet, so it's not the worry it'll attack me, more so if it required moving ie vets and such - that would be impossible for a little guy like me with no car! :/

I'm more of a lizard fan however, but unfortunately down own any at the minute :(
Please check out my vampire novel project!

https://www.facebook.com/thickerthanbloodproject?ref=bookmarks

Please like, follow, share and support! :D
  •  

Ms Grace

Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: big kim on April 22, 2014, 09:08:54 AM
I had a one eyed trouser snake for 37 years
*spits out water on monitor*

You have to warn me about these things. LOL
  •  

kao

Small blotched python, beautiful little thing but nippy since i haven't been able to handle it as much as i should
Labels and closets are for fashion, not people
Boxes are for items, not ideas
Moulds are for desserts, you arn't supposed to fit
Live life your own way
  •  

alexis.j

I kept a ball python/royal python for a few years, several years back.
Low on maintenance, but just keep its cage temperature warm, some water and the occasional food, and all is well.

Just dont let them get ill... it will cost you!
  •  

FreyasRedemption

I technically have never owned a snake, but during my short kind-of employment in a pet store I became very attached to a baby rainbow boa (I call the species "rainboa"). I was super happy to feed her and even on one occasion hold her when her little terrarium was being cleaned. We even got along nicely. The folks who ran the pet store warned me that a young snake of her kind is very eager to bite, but she didn't mind me handling her.
Anyway, I named her Wadjet, after an ancient Egyptian snake goddess. The name fit her. I hope she has good owners now. That is, if she has been sold in the first place. I did play around with the thought of buying her myself, but since I have never owned a reptile of any kind before, I think I should start with something a little bit easier to manage than a multi-meter constrictor serpent from the Amazon.
There is a better tomorrow.
  •  

sam1234

People have a habit of allowing their large snake to drape across their shoulders. Although a boa couldn't eat an adult, if frightened, it could easily squeeze your neck hard enough to cut of your air supply and blood vessels.

Corn snakes are pretty. Usually have good tempers if they are handled regularly.

If you aren't already, use frozen dead rodents for  food instead of live. I've seen shakes that were given a rat and when they didn't eat the rat, the rat chewd and ate the skin and muscle on the back until the vertebrae were exposed. Many people will put their snake in a seperate cage to feed. This is a good idea with the more aggressive eaters. That way, they know they will only get food in the other cage and not strike at your hand everytime you reach in because it thinks you have food.

If you do want to get a python in the future, ball pythons are by far the best tempered. They do have a tendency to have uneven sheds though and sometimes the eyecaps don't come off with the shed.

Don't be tempted to give your snake large prety. You will find articles that say you can give the snake any size it can swallow. While you can do that, its much easier on the snake to give smaller prey more often to avoid difficulty in digesting the prey.

There are a lot of articles about "belly heat" and keeping the snake with a heating pad under the cage and a hot rock in the the cage. Both of those things can be trouble. What you want is the correct ambient temperature which you can get by hanging a ceramic heater above the cage. Hot rocks can malfunction, and although snakes feel pain, they may lay on a hot rock until they have third degree burns.

Put two thermometers on the cage at the height where the snake will be. There should be a cool side and a warm side. Temperatures at night should not fall more than ten degrees from during the day.

Find yourself a good veterinarian who is used to handling snakes. They will check the snake for mites, intestinal parasites and feel the belly for obstructions or tumors. Its a good idea to have a working relationship with your vet so they know your snake and what is normal for it. The worst time to try and find a vet who sees snakes is when there has been an accident or your snake is ill.

sam1234
  •