Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

These Insurers Offer Transgender Health Care Coverage

Started by traci_k, May 29, 2015, 08:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traci_k

These Insurers Offer Transgender Health Care Coverage

http://www.cheatsheet.com/personal-finance/these-insurers-offer-transgender-health-care-coverage.html/?a=viewall

Personal Finance Cheat SheetCare Coverage

Chloe Della Costa
May 27, 2015

More employers than ever are embracing health coverage for transgender employees, as well as non-discrimination protections. This is largely a result of the proven low cost of providing transgender-inclusive care, since transgender adults represent just 0.3% of the U.S. adult population.

Despite the growing number of inclusive employer-sponsored plans, the American health care system remains a challenge for people seeking transgender health care, as transgender individuals continue to face discrimination, harassment, and barriers to access. Even finding a covered therapist or psychologist who deals with gender dysphoria can be a challenge, particularly for patients with certain insurance plans, such as HMOs and EPOs, that limit coverage to a specific network of providers. On top of that, local providers may already be at full capacity.

----------------------------------------------------
Came across this article from the other day on Personal Finance Cheat Sheet reporting on a Dec 2014 Report by HRC  listing insurers who offer insurance that provides for transgender health care inclusive of GRS.

Clarification - It is my understanding that these are for personal policies. Employer coverage, even under these carriers may still exclude transgender health coverage.

Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

suzifrommd

Warning: Most employer-provided plans, even through these carriers, have specialized exclusions based on the preference of the employer. For example, I get Aetna through my employer, but my plan does NOT cover SRS.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •