Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Hair restoration surgery question

Started by ChiGirl, June 01, 2015, 10:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiGirl

I found a great doctor near me who not only does hair restoration for transwomen, but actually advertises it on his website. 

My question is how long should I wait after I start HRT to do the hair restoration?  I'd love to get my hair done soon, but I'm not on HRT yet, I should on a low dose in a month or 2.

Thanks,
Charlotte
  •  

KristinaM

I think it partly depends on what kind of HRT drugs you're on.

For instance, estrogen may not have much (if any) effect on restoring hair loss, spiro may have some effect since you're reducing testosterone (the main culprit), but finasteride (a DHT blocker) is actually prescribed to genetic males for hair loss.  So, once you work out what drugs you'll be taking and whether or not there's anything else you should be using (minoxidil, etc...) and have let that run it's course (a year?) to see how any of it affects your hairline, THEN you can start thinking about surgery for hair loss.

At least, that's my opinion/understanding.  Medication is less invasive and you never know how they or hormones will actually affect you until you start taking them and have been on them for a while.

Talk with your HRT doctor and explain these concerns and they'll probably start you on drugs more specifically tailored to this need instead of something else for instance.
  •