Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Finding the right size

Started by missskyler, June 02, 2015, 10:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missskyler

Hi my name is skyler I am in the process of transitioning but having some trouble with the sizing in women's clothes. I wear a 29 x 32 in pants and medium size shirts. I mainly shop at american apparel and some other high end stores. Is there a conversion chart that is helpful in picking the right size. I haven't started hormones, i am fine with no breasts yet.   

any help girls?
  •  

katrinaw

Welcome to Susan's Skyler

Happy for you to be here...

Things that you should read

Site Terms of Service and rules to live by     Standard Terms and Definitions     Post Ranks (including when you can upload an avatar)     
Reputation rules     News posting & quoting guidelines     Photo, avatars, and signature images policy     

I know the Australian sizes, will look for others...

You could try this board.. https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,23.0.html

Look forward to seeing you about the forums...

L Katy
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

Mariah

Hi Skyler, welcome to Susan's. I look forward to seeing you around the forums. It's not as simple as converting that. Multiple points are used to in figuring out what size. Different brands and styles also run differently size wise. Woman's size's tend to very greatly. What's more important are the actual measurements and not the sizes your in now. Good luck and Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Abby Claire

Every store should have a sizing chart that will help you out. For starters, use a measuring tape and figure out your waist, hips, and bust. Each brand is going to be different in sizes and they also don't account for other parts transwomen have to deal with (feet and shoulders), so trying stuff on always helps. For example, I have to wear a size 3 skinny jean simply because my feet don't fit through smaller leg sizes, and I usually have to wear medium or large shirts because I'm a bit tall (5'9") for some brands and my shoulders are slightly broad.

So basically, there's no reliable conversion chart. You have to measure and go by brand sizing charts.

Shoes are easy though. Womens shoes generally run a size and a half smaller.
  •  

Laura_7

Here is a sizes table:
https://www.susans.org/wiki/Clothing_Sizes
but you should also check if there are measurements given by the stores... or if reviews say a certain piece will be smaller or larger than expected.

You might start with second hand stores...
clothes are not likely to change sizes like some new clothes do after washing...

and its possible your size changes a bit over time, too...

clothes there are often not even sorted by gender, so you could get aquainted slowly with the sizes...

hugs
  •  

missskyler

hey girls, thanks for the suggestions.
  •  

Katiepie

We are more or less similar in size.
I am 62 inches, 28x30 waist/inseam, not sure my shoulders though I suspect very broad, or waist for that matter.

These other girls know what they are talking about, yes. :) and I am taking notes as is myself!

Pants wise I fit in size 4 short, though in my own opinion probably fit in a 2 or 3 skinny jeans
My life motto: Wake Up and BE Awesome!

"Every minute of your life that you allow someone to dictate your emotions, is a minute of your life you are allowing them to control you." - a dear friend of mine.

Stay true to yourself no matter the consequence, for this is your life, your decision, your trust in which will shape your future. Believe in yourself, if you don't then no one will.
  •  

RavenL

Skylar I'm kind of close to your size as well. I'm 30/32 for the waist my hips are kind of wide so a size 6 fits me pretty well. As for the tops I've tired size 14 just a little tight but size 16 fits me perfect. Just measure and compare charts. It was daunting for me at first but once I figured it sizing it got easier.

•  

Louise

When I first started dressing I used the chart in the JC Penny catalog to get some idea about what sizes in women's clothing would fit.  Most of the size charts are based on three measurements--bust, waist and hips.  These measurements can be a bit misleading for those of us with a more male-shaped body than a feminine figure.  To get a good fit for my waist I have to go with a size that is a little big in the hips.  It makes a difference what garment you are looking for.  In my experience, the waist measure is the most important in looking for skirts and jeans but the bust measure is the most important in looking for tops.  The problem is complicated by the fact that one manufacture's sizes are not necessarily comparable to another's sizes.  What may be a size 16 for one may be a 14 for another.  The only real solution is to try things on and see what looks good and feels good.  Shopping at second hand stores is a good way to try to find what works.  Good luck.
  •