Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Possible transphobic art tutor

Started by Dean, July 19, 2015, 08:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

Hello! I am new here, so I hope I didn't put this in the wrong place. If I did, my sincere apologies.

I'm a minor under sixteen and homeschooled. I have to go back to school in September due to being behind, but I'm uncomfortable as this means I won't be able to wear boxers etc at school, which I will probably have to be at for over nine hours altogether.

Anyway, I have an art tutor who is a Jehovah's Witness and is very strong with her beliefs.  There is an extremely strong possibility she's homophobic (my mum has been teached under the JWs religion-wise and she's homophobic). I want to ask her her opinion on transgender, but if she turns out to be transphobic, I want to cut all possible ties with her so I don't need to see her often as I feel extremely uncomfortable just knowing she is possibly transphobic. Is this the correct approach? My mum was transphobic at first after I told her, but a few weeks in she accepted me, but my tutor is a strong-minded woman and doesn't waver in her beliefs at all. My mum's known her since she was a child, so I don't know how much defence I will get from her, if at all. Thanks.
  •