Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Is there such thing as a gender therapist who accepts insurance?!

Started by Tristyn, July 14, 2015, 09:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tristyn

I really want to apologize if this question has already been asked a thousand times, which it probably has. If there is another thread still floating around here on this topic and if you know where it is, would you be a dear and link it here in a post? :) I would really appreciate it. ;) And then I would either delete this thread or the moderators could. I try to avoid reposting the same exact thread as previous ones. I know it annoys people and I just want you guys to know I ain't do it on purpose.

Its just, this is like something I have been trying to do for a while now and have had no luck with it. I mean, finding a gender therapist that takes my insurance let alone insurance, period....

Now I am beginning to wonder if such gender therapists even exist. I am fresh to this whole tansitioning process and I, like all transgender folks, need guidance and in America, they are required(definitely in the state of Florida) to obtain the necessary documents to change gender identity legally and definitely for HRT and SRS(a whole other thing together, I mainly just want to focus on changing gender legally for now).

Even my social worker and current regular therapist are running out of ideas...

Any thoughts out there on this? Help!! :o
  •  

AndrewB

My gender therapist accepted my insurance, and my insurance was more than happy to pay him. Granted, my situation is much different from yours: my insurance has its own healthcare providers and facilities (Kaiser Permanente), so my endo put in the referral for the therapy sessions (specifically to obtain my letter) and that basically ensured that he would be covered under my plan. I think the key is to maybe not look for someone titled "gender therapist" but a therapist with experience/practice in the area, that might word it a bit differently. For example, my gender therapist's website states he offers treatment for "sexual self-esteem and identity," and he followed WPATH and I certainly wasn't the first trans person he'd helped.
Andrew | 21 | FTM | US | He/Him/His

•  

Tristyn

Quote from: AndrewB on July 14, 2015, 09:20:15 AM
My gender therapist accepted my insurance, and my insurance was more than happy to pay him. Granted, my situation is much different from yours: my insurance has its own healthcare providers and facilities (Kaiser Permanente), so my endo put in the referral for the therapy sessions (specifically to obtain my letter) and that basically ensured that he would be covered under my plan. I think the key is to maybe not look for someone titled "gender therapist" but a therapist with experience/practice in the area, that might word it a bit differently. For example, my gender therapist's website states he offers treatment for "sexual self-esteem and identity," and he followed WPATH and I certainly wasn't the first trans person he'd helped.

You know, I'm beginning to think maybe the therapist who said that to me about gender therapist only taking cash might only want money herself. I dunno. But I do appreciate this advice. I didn't think about that. You brought up a very great point; a lot of these type of therapists might not go strictly by this title.

I'm glad you achieved your transition goal! ;D And also, you sound as though you are quite pleased with the results. May I ask what your gender therapist's website is? Just to see what he is all about?

Another reason I did not believe that all gender therapists rely on cash is because I was recommended to one who strictly was a gender therapist but took the wrong medical insurance. ???

I hope I can be as fortunate as you were as far as your eligibility with insurance for not only gender therapy but for the whole process of transitioning(HRT and SRS).
  •  

AndrewB

Quote from: King Phoenix on July 14, 2015, 09:39:01 AM
You know, I'm beginning to think maybe the therapist who said that to me about gender therapist only taking cash might only want money herself. I dunno. But I do appreciate this advice. I didn't think about that. You brought up a very great point; a lot of these type of therapists might not go strictly by this title.

I'm glad you achieved your transition goal! ;D And also, you sound as though you are quite pleased with the results. May I ask what your gender therapist's website is? Just to see what he is all about?

Another reason I did not believe that all gender therapists rely on cash is because I was recommended to one who strictly was a gender therapist but took the wrong medical insurance. ???

I hope I can be as fortunate as you were as far as your eligibility with insurance for not only gender therapy but for the whole process of transitioning(HRT and SRS).

I'm not too clear on the rules as far as links go, but his name is Steven O'Dell at The Lighter Heart PC, so that should help you find his site. Thank you for the congrats, and I hope your transition goes over smoothly once you find the right therapist to get things rolling!

As for being suspicious of your current therapist, I'm not quite sure... it could be a ploy to keep you around, but it could also just be experience from the colleagues she has in the back of her mind. Who knows!
Andrew | 21 | FTM | US | He/Him/His

•  

Tristyn

Quote from: AndrewB on July 14, 2015, 01:17:51 PM
I'm not too clear on the rules as far as links go, but his name is Steven O'Dell at The Lighter Heart PC, so that should help you find his site. Thank you for the congrats, and I hope your transition goes over smoothly once you find the right therapist to get things rolling!

As for being suspicious of your current therapist, I'm not quite sure... it could be a ploy to keep you around, but it could also just be experience from the colleagues she has in the back of her mind. Who knows!

Well, you have a name and location, so that is a big help! ;D

I will definitely check him out. Thanks!

And even if this does not work out, gonna keep pushin' forward pass all these stone doors of opportunity that almost never seem to budge for me. Ha.....

Plus I have a very helpful social worker to my aid as well as a Christian therapist. So I do have a rather excellent artillery of support right now, just null from the fam.... :embarrassed:

Oh, I'm not too worried about what the gender therapist said about zero insurance-accepting ones ever existing.....I have an even stronger feeling she may have been mistaken.

But yeah, thanks for this recommendation. I'll absolutely research that! :D
  •  

Jenna Marie

I certainly don't know about your area specifically (sorry!), but mine was a specifically "specializes in trans people" gender therapist and she took insurance. She also charged on a sliding scale for people who didn't have insurance, but I never paid more than my $20 copay for a visit - and she billed Blue Cross about $350 per.  I suspect it's harder to find than a standard therapist simply because many *insurance companies* don't or at least didn't pay for gender therapy, but anyone who tells you ALL gender therapists demand cash is either lying or misinformed.
  •  

Mariah

Both of mine do worth with insurance despite the fact the one I have to pay up front and then get payed back the difference by the insurance once the claim is processed. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

suzifrommd

I have out of network mental health coverage, which I use with my current therapist. She doesn't "accept it" per se, but the insurance company will reimburse me. I have Aetna Open Access PPO.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Jessie Ann

I have Blue Cross and I have to submit my bills for reimbursement.  I have reached my maximum out of pocket expenses for the year and now get my sessions fully paid for with no co-pays.  I've had to fork over too much $$ this year for transition costs but I'm worth it ;)
  •  

FTMax

If you're not able to find one that accepts your insurance, consider looking at online options. Both that I worked with were roughly $45 per session, and the one who did my referrals was willing to do discounted package deals for certain referral needs. It's an excellent option if you don't mind the lack of face to face interaction.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •