Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Personal sessions at Sephora

Started by G4, June 28, 2015, 11:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G4

I am currently questioning, and have next to zero knowledge on makeup besides some videos I've watched, so that I know what certain things are called and what they do. What I mean is I have never touched any makeup to my face so I would not know where to begin at all.

I am also 100% masculine male presenting right now. But I want to start seeing what I can do to change that. Wigs and makeup seemed like the best first steps.

Have any of you ever gotten a personalized session/makeover/whatever you want to call it at Sephora? They don't look too terribly expensive, and since I don't want to come out to anyone I know yet that could help me, I am seriously considering walking up in there and asking about it. http://www.sephora.com/store-locations-events?tab=services

Maybe if I have a wig, that would help more if/when I go in for help, in which case I need to address that issue first..!
  •  

Mariah

I have had one and it's not bad at all. Do know the cost of makeup adds up quickly, but a personal session is easily covered by your purchases. I believe you have to one way or another pay 50 dollars if I recall correctly. You won't even have to wear a wig to the session if you don't feel like it. I didn't and it wasn't an issue. The people who generally work there would put makeup on virtually anyone if asked generally. Also even though locations don't say they do the full costume make overs they do. Just time is harder to come by when it comes to the smaller locations. Good luck and Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

kittenpower

I had a complimentary makeover at the Estée Lauder counter at Macy's; it was a good experience, and I purchased some foundation and concealer, but they don't require you to purchase anything, and my makeup consultant gave me a few lipstick and eye makeup samples.
  •  

G4

Quote from: Mariah2014 on June 28, 2015, 11:14:29 PM
I have had one and it's not bad at all. Do know the cost of makeup adds up quickly, but a personal session is easily covered by your purchases. I believe you have to one way or another pay 50 dollars if I recall correctly. You won't even have to wear a wig to the session if you don't feel like it. I didn't and it wasn't an issue. The people who generally work there would put makeup on virtually anyone if asked generally. Also even though locations don't say they do the full costume make overs they do. Just time is harder to come by when it comes to the smaller locations. Good luck and Hugs
Mariah

I'm expecting a semi-steep initial payout for this process, which is fine (I will just put off getting an Xbox One..  ;D)

Full costume makeover?? Meaning hair, makeup, and clothes? What in the world. I only noticed they give you a service if you spend $50, which I think wouldn't be much of an issue for my first investment in products.

I guess I could call the few locations nearby and ask, couldn't hurt  :D
  •  

Mariah

Clothes and hair are not included. Custom makeover is just of your face. Makeup will exceed that cost easily and I don't recall 50 dollars needed upfront to even schedule it.
Mariah
  •  

Sydney_NYC

I know someone that is a trans woman that goes around to different Sehporas in the NY/NJ/PA area and does makeovers and yes they will do anyone.

I've had a complimentary one done at bareMinerals when I was I first went full time. I was wearing a heavy concealer to hide what beard I had left (I had just had my 3rd or 4th laser session) and wanted something light and that help better. I told them I was trans and still had some beard left and they were happy to help me. They removed my makeup and redid my face and I loved it so much better. The woman even wrote down what she did and I've based my makeup routine of of that since then. It's very natural looking and feels so natural as well. I forget I have it on.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

Dee Marshall

I'm pretty sure a full makeover at Sephora is a hundred dollars, not fifty, but it is a purchase thing not a fee. You walk out with the makeup. I may do that or I may just set my friend's daughter loose on me. She does YouTube makeup videos and used to work at Sephora.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Mariah

The one is 50 but for the one where they walk you around Sephoria and do more is 125.
Mariah
  •  

G4

Quote from: Mariah2014 on June 28, 2015, 11:41:15 PM
Clothes and hair are not included. Custom makeover is just of your face. Makeup will exceed that cost easily and I don't recall 50 dollars needed upfront to even schedule it.
Mariah

I misunderstood what meant "full costume" then, no worries :)

Quote from: Sydney_NYC on June 28, 2015, 11:53:54 PM
I know someone that is a trans woman that goes around to different Sehporas in the NY/NJ/PA area and does makeovers and yes they will do anyone.

I've had a complimentary one done at bareMinerals when I was I first went full time. I was wearing a heavy concealer to hide what beard I had left (I had just had my 3rd or 4th laser session) and wanted something light and that help better. I told them I was trans and still had some beard left and they were happy to help me. They removed my makeup and redid my face and I loved it so much better. The woman even wrote down what she did and I've based my makeup routine of of that since then. It's very natural looking and feels so natural as well. I forget I have it on.

If I do go, I will only have shaved in preparation. I live in a much more rural/conservative area than NJ and big cities. It's whatever though, I doubt I will know anyone in that store which is fine! Less embarrassment

Quote from: Dee Marshall on June 29, 2015, 07:29:43 AM
I'm pretty sure a full makeover at Sephora is a hundred dollars, not fifty, but it is a purchase thing not a fee. You walk out with the makeup. I may do that or I may just set my friend's daughter loose on me. She does YouTube makeup videos and used to work at Sephora.

I wish I could let someone loose on me, too! It would be a huge money saver. But I don't have any female friends where I currently live (just moved back to home town after living at uni for 5 years) and I definitely don't want to ask my sister  ;D
  •  

RoseH

I simply went to the Make Up For Ever stand and was asked if I wanted to have my makeup done by one of the employees (for free).
It's great to get an experienced person to do your makeup, both in the start but also every now and then. They will have an idea about what works on your face and how to highlight your features. They will make you see yourself in a new light. I can highly recommend it! I ended up buying some of the makeup because I was so positively surprised by the result and how nice the makeup artist was  :)

•  

ChiGirl

I had someone recommend Mary Kay because they do it in the privacy of your home or theirs.  Anyone ever use Mary Kay?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

•  

Dee Marshall

Never used Mary Kay. Sweetie sold it at one time. Anyone can sell it, so their make up skills may not be up to snuff.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

April41

Another vouch for Sephora. Be sure to schedule it in advance. It takes about 45 minutes and it does require at least $50 in product purchase. They keep track of what items they are using on you and will likely send you home with samples of items you didn't purchase. IF you choose Sephora, be sure to sign up for their Beauty Insider program. They're always giving away samples and racking up points is fast (I got VIB In a year of just buying about 5 products). Also, who ever you go to, take notes and ask questions, not just from what they use, by why they use it and even how they're applying it (how hard, what the strokes are, etc).
  •  

kittenpower

^^^I agree that knowing why a product is being applied is key to doing your makeup properly.
  •  

takotsubo

A Sephora session seems like a very good idea. I will definitely consider this for myself. I would expect to spend 50 dollars very swiftly anyway, so getting a consultation on top of it sounds like a very good deal.
  •  

G4

Thanks everyone!! I may have been convinced to go and do it. I got a wig today, so if I go in there with that plus get the makeup done, I think seeing this 'closer to final' product will really help me
  •  

takotsubo

Good luck! Make sure you tell us how it went!
  •  

Monica Jean

I've never tried Sephora, I just walk into Ulta in guy mode and tell them what I'm looking for...the nice makeup shows me and then I have a choice to buy or not to buy.  I always tell them to go with the cheaper products, I love Urban Decay but I I can't afford their products most of the time.  They're really great. 

Tell the younger ones you're transitioning and they will fawn all over you! 

I'll have to try Sephora some time though, sounds like a great store. 
  •