News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

First time in public

Started by takotsubo, July 19, 2015, 03:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

takotsubo

Hey everyone,
I'm an MTF...ish, and I'm working up the courage to make my first public appearance as a female during a Pride festival in a couple of weeks. Right now I'm trying to come up with an outfit.

What troubles me most is my broad shoulders. That means no dresses that leaves shoulders exposed, right? Are there any shoulder-slimming tips I should be aware of?

Also, are there any general rookie mistakes I should try to avoid? For instance I'm considering this dress, or something similar to it:

My reasoning goes: a) I like it; b) it covers shoulders, which should help hiding their size; c) marked waist takes advantage of that I'm skinny, while slightly wider skirt creates illusion of hips; d) skirt seems wide enough that I don't have to combine first time in heels with first tucking experience. Does this make sense?
All input is greatly appreciated!
  •  

KarynMcD

Quote from: takotsubo on July 19, 2015, 03:54:44 PM
What troubles me most is my broad shoulders. That means no dresses that leaves shoulders exposed, right? Are there any shoulder-slimming tips I should be aware of?

You can wear dresses/tops with exposed shoulders. You just need the right style.
There are plenty of articles out there on what to wear
https://www.google.com/search?q=hide+broad+shoulders
  •  

Danielle89

This dress is so cute ^^

However, in my opinion, to cover your shoulder, you should not wear clothes which are too tight. If you have muscle arms, it will appear this way. 
<3 Que Sera, Sera <3

My Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/TrangDanielle
  •  

takotsubo

Quote from: KarinMcD on July 28, 2015, 04:37:42 PM
You can wear dresses/tops with exposed shoulders. You just need the right style.

Oh, thanks! I'll check that out!
  •  

takotsubo

Quote from: Danielle89 on August 01, 2015, 07:16:24 PM
This dress is so cute ^^

However, in my opinion, to cover your shoulder, you should not wear clothes which are too tight. If you have muscle arms, it will appear this way.

Yeah, I think so too. :-)

I see your point. I don't have terribly muscly arms, but maybe enough that I should consider less tight clothing. On the other hand I find that less tight often looks less feminine.

Thanks for the input!
  •  

Mariah

This most definitely. Hugs
Mariah
Quote from: KarinMcD on July 28, 2015, 04:37:42 PM
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

barbie

Exposing your shoulders does not make them look wider. Actually, it can help belittle them.
I love tube-top dresses.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

takotsubo

Quote from: barbie on August 02, 2015, 03:09:47 PM
Exposing your shoulders does not make them look wider. Actually, it can help belittle them.
I love tube-top dresses.

barbie~~

Oh, well that's good news. So many of the clothes that I'd like to wear exposes the shoulders.
  •  

barbie

Yes. Nowadays I wear tube tops everyday.

I sweat so much, and I indeed need to expose my shoulders in summer.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Obfuskatie

Psh, you don't have to worry about your shoulders Barbie, you look amazing in those photos. Still, by having a neutral on top, and the pattern on bottom, you are using color and pattern blocking to draw the eye away from your shoulders anyway.
If you have wide shoulders, v, deep v, and scoop necks disrupt the line of the shoulder, making hem appear shorter. 3/4 sleeves make the arms look shorter and peplums or tops that draw attention away from your upper half and A-line skirts create the hourglass shape you're going for.
Stay away from heavy patterns above your chest, pencil skirts and skinny jeans if you have a very small waist. Then all the other taste rules apply to matching pieces together [emoji2]
Essentially, watch What Not To Wear, with Stacy and Clinton, or Love Lust or Run with just Stacy and you'll get lots of good ideas for outfits because they are fashion geniuses.

Hugs,
- Katie
Sent from Katie's iPad using Tapatalk

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Obfuskatie on August 04, 2015, 06:19:30 AM
Psh, you don't have to worry about your shoulders Barbie, you look amazing in those photos. Still, by having a neutral on top, and the pattern on bottom, you are using color and pattern blocking to draw the eye away from your shoulders anyway.
If you have wide shoulders, v, deep v, and scoop necks disrupt the line of the shoulder, making hem appear shorter. 3/4 sleeves make the arms look shorter and peplums or tops that draw attention away from your upper half and A-line skirts create the hourglass shape you're going for.
Stay away from heavy patterns above your chest, pencil skirts and skinny jeans if you have a very small waist. Then all the other taste rules apply to matching pieces together [emoji2]
Essentially, watch What Not To Wear, with Stacy and Clinton, or Love Lust or Run with just Stacy and you'll get lots of good ideas for outfits because they are fashion geniuses.

Hugs,
- Katie

Oh. Katie, thanks for nice comments and advice.

Yes. My shoulders are broader than most GGs, but narrower than most men here. Actually, I like women with wider shoulders, as they look healthier.

I do not wear jeans or short pants as I have some skin problem in my buttocks. I always wear skirts, but I enjoy it. Today I am wearing another tube top dresses and am going to have dinner with my old female friend in a restaurant. I am enjoying summer!

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

takotsubo

Quote from: barbie on August 04, 2015, 01:19:56 AM
Yes. Nowadays I wear tube tops everyday.

And you look great, so keep on wearing them. :-)
  •  

takotsubo

Quote from: Obfuskatie on August 04, 2015, 06:19:30 AM

Hugs,
- Katie

Thanks for all the tips! I'm rather fond of skinny jeans, but maybe I'd better stay away from them when I dress en femme.

Actually, I chickened out of my planned first time in public. :( But I'm feminising myself step by step, so I'll get there eventually.
  •  

Obfuskatie

Quote from: takotsubo on August 06, 2015, 04:03:58 PM
Thanks for all the tips! I'm rather fond of skinny jeans, but maybe I'd better stay away from them when I dress en femme.

Actually, I chickened out of my planned first time in public. :( But I'm feminising myself step by step, so I'll get there eventually.
There's a ton of styles to go with, and you can always pair skinny jeans with a neutral top and cool accessories. You don't always have to try to create the hourglass figure with your clothing, especially after body modifications with transition. Just stay very far away from tops that draw attention to your shoulders if they make you feel insecure.
For instance, I stay away from the camisole without something over it. I don't do shoulder-pads, crew-necks and most boat-necked tops. I inherited my mom's large shoulders. We have the same shoulder-width, which makes me feel better about it, although I don't like how I look in clothes that accentuate them. Plus I don't like wearing animal print, for some reason I'm not sure about.
Finding clothes you feel comfortable and confident in is more important than the list of rules. I'm sorry  to hear you backed out of your first public outing. If it's any consolation, I was on HRT for a year and a half before I presented female fully. And I was a nervous hot mess, but I had my mom with me so it was manageable, especially with lorazepam [emoji41] But after going full time I've been happier than I can properly express, the last time close to this level was when I was a child and my parents were still together. So yeah, it's a big deal, but I trust that you can find your way to being confident with enough time and nerve. [emoji6]

Hugs,
- Katie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •