Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Devyl's Brew, round two!

Started by Tracey, August 01, 2015, 09:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Five gallons of jalapeno wine this time around.   >:-) >:-) >:-) >:-) >:-)

81 peppers, 10 lbs sugar, 5 lbs raisins, 5 lemons and 2 teabags for tannin.
  •  

RaptorChops

No offense but I feel like that would put me on the toilet for a few days  >:-)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I dunno.
  •  

Devlyn

Someone on Facebook saw the recipe and proposed to me on the spot!
  •  

stephaniec

•  

Devlyn

No, cacti are a rare commodity here in Boston!  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

iKate

So I'm curious. How does it taste? Like peppery booze?
  •  

Devlyn

Yes! It starts hot, then you taste the fruit flavor of the jalapenos. Then your tongue falls off.  >:-)
  •  

stephaniec

try throwing some agave in with it next time
  •  

Yukari-sensei

I'm curious to hear about it being used for cooking!  :o

In all honesty, I fear the idea of drinking that... and I grew up with my grandma's chile pequin salsa strait from the molcajete as a rite of passage!
  •  

Devlyn

It's made for cooking, I brew it bone dry, no sweetness at all. It's great in spaghetti sauce, chili, soups, sloppy Joes, I put it in anything that could use a pick me up! Of course, if I let some spoil, I'll have jalapeno vinegar. You ever seen a salad burst into flames?  >:-)  :laugh:

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Oriah

What an awesome idea.  I brew a bit in my spare time.   :D. Where do you get your yeast?  Purchased or cultivated?
  •  

kelly_aus

Reminds me od a recipe for prison hooch..
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Oriah on August 31, 2015, 09:34:32 PM
What an awesome idea.  I brew a bit in my spare time.   :D. Where do you get your yeast?  Purchased or cultivated?

Ebay, I use Lalvin EC-1118. It will take wine up to 18% alcohol, but this one is light on sugar and probably runs about 12% maybe?
  •  

HoneyStrums

Omg, you crazy people.

And Im sorry if that is found offensive. It is however, my go too term of endearment for those who dare.

•