Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I formally notified work

Started by CrysC, July 30, 2015, 10:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrysC

Due to a mix of things I set my RLE date for work to be Nov 1.  The company policy says you should give 3 months notice sooo...  I told my boss and his boss yesterday. 
Now I will admit that I was terrified of this.  It's the jumping off the cliff moment, or was in my mind. 

So thus said, their reaction was very positive.  They said they wanted to go above and beyond to make sure I felt comfortable and hoped I didn't want to change anything about my job.  This was great as I didn't want it to affect my job and worried that at best there would be some changes like try to move me to another org or some such thing. 
I was apologetic for any disturbance this would cause and my boss' boss grabbed my shoulder and said it was nothing and what I was going through was a lot bigger.
Later in the evening he sent mail thanking me for the meeting and having the courage to tell them.  He also reiterated his support for anything I needed to make this smooth. 

It's still scary but definitely going in the right direction.  I wish that this would be the norm for everybody else but wanted to share just so everybody here knew that sometimes employers can be real cool about this.
  •  

Confetti

That's amazing news! I'm so happy for you that they were so positive and understanding.
Goodluck for the future!
  •  

Dena

I have only been on Susan's for a couple of months and my last exposure to the community was over 30 years ago. I am somewhat stunned by and envious of how much more accepting the community has become of us in the time I have been away. Stories like this make me hopeful that in the future we will be accepted as people with a run of the mill medical condition and nothing more.

Congratulations on coming out at work and may the rest of your transition be as trouble free as this was.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

KimSails

Wonderful! Congratulations!

Quote from: CrysC on July 30, 2015, 10:44:42 AM
I wish that this would be the norm for everybody else ...

I agree that it is not the norm, but I think (hope) it is getting better! I got a similar response from my boss and manager two months ago, and over the last few weeks I have read on Susan's of at least four others here (you included!) that have had a positive response from an employer. I still see negative responses too, but hopefully we are turning a corner.

Kim
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Unknown 

~~~~~/)~~~~~
  •  

CrysC

Thanks everybody for the well wishes! 
The real test will of course be when I start going to work as a woman but I have to admit I am now very hopeful. 

I'm sorry Dena for what you faced and hope things are smoother now for you. 
  •  

Dena

Quote from: CrysC on July 30, 2015, 09:33:17 PM
I'm sorry Dena for what you faced and hope things are smoother now for you.
I still hold my last job that I took in 1986 and I work in the family business as well. I am near retirement age and while I am not at peek earning levels, my cost of living has gone way down as well.

I don't worry about the past as it doesn't do any good, I just went out and started all over again. Someone had to be the first and I also know that others had it worst than me. I am happy that over the years everything has improved for the people following me and I hope that what I do here makes even better for the people who are just starting on a life I have enjoyed for so many years.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •