Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery 2.0

Started by anjaq, July 21, 2015, 07:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anjaq

I also asked after the surgery how much they sutured. They said it is about 40%, so they can definitely tell you, but will usuall ynot do so unless you ask. They usually also dont give you pictures or the examination, I think - many are not interested in these things, they just want it done and want it to work, so the only spread more detailled information upon request

•  

Dena

Quote from: anjaq on August 06, 2015, 03:07:16 PM
I also asked after the surgery how much they sutured. They said it is about 40%, so they can definitely tell you, but will usuall ynot do so unless you ask. They usually also dont give you pictures or the examination, I think - many are not interested in these things, they just want it done and want it to work, so the only spread more detailled information upon request
I understand what you are saying. Dr Haben knew I had been studying the surgery and voice from the exchange we had before surgery and in his visit after surgery in the hospital, he gave me my pictures. The followup visit the next day he pretty freely gave me the 40% number and the 60-80hz gain number. I am not so sure all of that would have come out with somebody who was less interested in what was happening.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

iKate

Something interesting is happening now. My voice is now fully internalized as my voice. "His" voice is gone and mine is here to stay. But I find that when I think, I hear my voice.  I did have a generic female sounding voice before in my head but now it matches my real voice.

Also, I talked to a friend this morning and hearing a male voice was so foreign to me. It's as if I know that I am different.

I think that underscores the importance of having a good, feminine voice. Not only does it help you pass, but it also helps make the authentic you more real to yourself.
  •  

anjaq

I think this is one of the biggest improvements for me - I had a very low pitched, but in most cases identified as female voice before the VFS, now I have a low pitch but up to now always recogniszed as female voice. So it did improve my "passing", I believe. Extensive tests on the phone are still not happening, lets see.
But even if again yesterday I was told my voice did not really change from before the VFS by some people I last met a year ago - there is a difference in my head - to speak in that "alto" female voice now is just happening, if I laugh or am expressing something funny, the pitch naturally goes up in a very feminine range - I have no low timbre and no fear of getting into much lower ranges - the sound of my voice and laughter is just like that of the other women when I am in a circle of women chatting and this really creates a sense of rightfully belonging instead of feeling "different" as it was before. I feel more authentic, more like myself and makes me dare to show behaviour that I woould not have dared before

•  

Lynne

I could never internalize my voice as mine since puberty, I never liked to hear it but after puberty aaaargh.... I really hope that with training I can at least get by until I can afford this surgery.
  •  

Dena

Quote from: iKate on August 09, 2015, 12:09:45 AM
Something interesting is happening now. My voice is now fully internalized as my voice. "His" voice is gone and mine is here to stay. But I find that when I think, I hear my voice.  I did have a generic female sounding voice before in my head but now it matches my real voice.

Also, I talked to a friend this morning and hearing a male voice was so foreign to me. It's as if I know that I am different.

I think that underscores the importance of having a good, feminine voice. Not only does it help you pass, but it also helps make the authentic you more real to yourself.
Years ago when I started using the mouth voice, it took a little while to lock it in but after years of using it, I found it was near impossible to drop back to the chest voice for some testing I was doing. A couple of months ago when I found the Falsetto voice, I was using it the next day and I locked it in just over a week. My current voice is still pretty unstable changing form day to day so I really can't lock it yet but I know it's going to happen. The issue I already can see is I have lost the clear division lines I had between the voices before and it's pretty easy to work the range between 170hz and 400hz with only a few rough spots in it. It is going to be interesting to see what the final voice is like.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Teslagirl

Quote from: anjaq on August 09, 2015, 03:04:47 AM
I think this is one of the biggest improvements for me - I had a very low pitched, but in most cases identified as female voice before the VFS, now I have a low pitch but up to now always recogniszed as female voice. So it did improve my "passing", I believe. Extensive tests on the phone are still not happening, lets see.
But even if again yesterday I was told my voice did not really change from before the VFS by some people I last met a year ago - there is a difference in my head - to speak in that "alto" female voice now is just happening, if I laugh or am expressing something funny, the pitch naturally goes up in a very feminine range - I have no low timbre and no fear of getting into much lower ranges - the sound of my voice and laughter is just like that of the other women when I am in a circle of women chatting and this really creates a sense of rightfully belonging instead of feeling "different" as it was before. I feel more authentic, more like myself and makes me dare to show behaviour that I woould not have dared before

Hi Anja.

The authenticity you mention is something I wanted, but I am very nervous about eventually hearing my voice properly. I make mistakes from time to time, and it really does not sound any different at all at the moment (I'm two weeks after surgery). If the worst does happen, and I get no improvement at all, I wonder if Dr Kim would operate again? Have you ever heard of anyone going back for a second surgery? I wish I had asked him for a 50% suture now, and taken a chance.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Teslagirl on August 09, 2015, 05:00:05 PM
Hi Anja.

The authenticity you mention is something I wanted, but I am very nervous about eventually hearing my voice properly. I make mistakes from time to time, and it really does not sound any different at all at the moment (I'm two weeks after surgery). If the worst does happen, and I get no improvement at all, I wonder if Dr Kim would operate again? Have you ever heard of anyone going back for a second surgery? I wish I had asked him for a 50% suture now, and taken a chance.

At two weeks I would be surprised if you actually had a pitch increase. Four to eight weeks minimum is how long it would take. I said a few things by accident 2-3 weeks post op and it was pretty low. Nothing close to what I sound like today.

So just hang tight.

I, too thought, gosh I should have gotten the 1/2 suture but as it turns out I'm just fine with 1/3.

There is, according to legend, one person who went back but she shouted and ripped the suture early on so that doesn't really count.
  •  

Dena

Hi Anja.

At this point you shouldn't worry. I am just short of 4 weeks and it's only been the last few day that my voice has comfortably moved from the 170hz range to around 200hz. Experimenting I dropped in the chest voice which was 80hz and it has move to 140z where my mouth voice used to be. You could incorrectly controlling the new voice and you are ending up in the wrong range. Control of the new voice is nothing like the old so you can't depend on just a few word to determine that your voice hasn't changed. With the limits off me, I am still not sure of how much improvement I have because the voice still needs another month of healing.
  •  

Dana88

Hi Anja.

Take a deep breath. It takes time. I accidentally used an emergency word two days after I arrived home and there was no pitch increase. Late this past week (week three) I purposely used my two emergency words and recorded it. My natural pitch was already a major third higher than around where I used to sit. But that early sound was no different. Try and be patient and don't assume the worst. Also, short of you ripping the suture, it's physiologically impossible for you to get no pitch increase. The variance in the timing of the pitch increase is only due to how fast and well you heal, mostly surrounding how quick the scar tightens around the sutures and how quick the swelling of your vocal folds goes down. But short of you ripping a suture, you will get a pitch increase.
~Dana
  •  

iKate

Where I am  now. And yes, it's the rainbow passage. I just wanted it for an exact comparison to my old voice and to others who had the surgery.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1LUAaOtaKDw
  •  

Starfire

Quote from: iKate on August 09, 2015, 06:49:48 PM
Where I am  now. And yes, it's the rainbow passage. I just wanted it for an exact comparison to my old voice and to others who had the surgery.

iKate, you sound fantastic!!
  •  

iKate

Thanks. I really have zero problems with it now and power is coming back rapidly. I do hydrate a lot though. I drink maybe 10-12 glasses of water per day, I think this helps a lot. Keeps things lubricated too.
Month 2 is almost here and I will start the exercises soon.
  •  

anjaq

iKate, this is amazing. You are one of the very lucky ones - fast and great results - no waiting forever for the voice to change and you even already get volume back. Very great. You should do regular recordings and videos - Dr Kim may want to add yours to that of Jenny which he uses for his promotion and consultations ;)

Well two weeks is really too early. I tried and sounded horrible by then. you cannot really fully use your voice and that feeling of authenticity for me mostly comes from involuntary expressions, laughing, etc - all of which is not allowed before week 8 ;) - At week 5-6 I was already noticing that the low undertones are gone, which was good to hear.

So that higher pitches seem to be readily happening when I am saying somethign in surprise or laughing, the other changes are not so much pitch related. My speaking pitch has not changed a lot - it is officially up by 30 Hz, so I am now in the same range I used in daily life by putting in a little effort to increase pitch pre OP. (135 Hz relaxed pre OP vs 160-170 Hz relaxed post op, pre op trained voice with little effort was usually at 140-150 Hz). So the change that is most noticeable for me in normal speaking is the loss of the low undertones, so the way my voice sounds in my head is different - less "rumbling" and such. This makes my voice sound similar to that of other women to my own ears when I speak. I am not even sure how pronounced that difference is perceived by others, but to me it is a big difference.

I am not aware of anyone getting a second surgery of the same type unless something ripped. I know of someone who got a CTA after a glottoplasty that did not work out well - but that was in Germany. And someone I know of is planning to do laser tuning of the vocal chords after glottoplasty to increase the pitch, because her speaking pitch is still low after glottoplasty - but again this is not a Yeson patient. To be honest, I did ask Dr Kim in my 6 month update email now if that option (laser tuning) would be a viable one after his kind of surgery. I am not sure I would do it, but I am just checking options for pitch change. I am happy with the other effects of the surgery so far as I described them, but maybe that massive coughing spell directly after surgery just did not allow my pitch to go as much up as it could have. I guess I should have forgot about the $1500 I would have lost and postponed the surgery by a year or so when I had that cold right before the surgery date and it just barely was over - it probably is what caused that coughing :( - I would love to know if Dr Kim would agree on that, but Jessie always told me that as long as the suture held - and that it did - the coughing in the wake up room should not have done any damage.

•  

Teslagirl

Quote from: iKate on August 09, 2015, 06:49:48 PM

WooHoo!! That is so good! You could do voiceovers!! (A new career beckons?) What do Yeson say? Are they pleased?

Absolutely wonderful result Kate.

Sarah.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Teslagirl on August 10, 2015, 11:42:50 AM
WooHoo!! That is so good! You could do voiceovers!! (A new career beckons?) What do Yeson say? Are they pleased?

Absolutely wonderful result Kate.

Sarah.

I'm going to send them one at month 2.

As for voiceovers, LOL! Hey Disney/Pixar, Dreamworks, are you listening? LOL.

Thanks for the kind words. I post these as encouragement for you and others because once you heal it is a totally different world. Like tooooootally different. My confidence is now 10000x what it was, especially. This is the best thing I've done in my transition so far.
  •  

Dana88

Alright! Here she is boys! Here she is girls! Here's one month  :).

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1mTgXYD1QQM

I, like iKate decided the Rainbow Passage was tired  :P and I recorded the opening paragraph of my favorite book "The Pillars of the Earth." I measured in Praat. My original fundamental frequency was 152hz. This recording was already 195.9hz  :D. My voice is still weak and breathy, but I'm already so happy and can't wait to see what the next several weeks bring.
~Dana
  •  

iKate

Wooohoo Dana! You're sounding good for 1 month.

Yeson class of 2015, we rock. :)
  •  

Dana88

Quote from: iKate on August 10, 2015, 12:00:35 PM

Thanks! I'm already so happy. I literally started crying after I opened my mouth. When I was a kid I loved my voice, and when it changed it was my first super bad bout of dysphoria, and it put me on a long road of hating my voice. So to open my mouth and hear even a sliver of what my voice used to be, was amazing. I'm so thankful to Dr. Kim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~Dana
  •  

ReDucks

Quote from: iKate on August 10, 2015, 12:00:35 PM

Great results Dana88 and iKate
  •