Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Yeson voice feminization surgery 2.0

Started by anjaq, July 21, 2015, 07:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denjin

I'm just about to book my tickets and just had a last minute question for those who've been to Yeson.  How long did it take to get a decent voice quality again?  I just worry since my job involves speaking to so many people day to day, both 1-1 and in groups, with presentations, etc.  Last minute jitters!
  •  

Ritana

A post-op woman
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Denjin on January 11, 2016, 02:04:23 AM
I'm just about to book my tickets and just had a last minute question for those who've been to Yeson.  How long did it take to get a decent voice quality again?  I just worry since my job involves speaking to so many people day to day, both 1-1 and in groups, with presentations, etc.  Last minute jitters!

Some heal fast, some heal slow. For me I was up and running in a month. For others they didn't get good quality until 3-4 months. Most around 2 months...
  •  

anjaq

For me, I could have conversations 1:1 again after 5-6 weeks as long as it was not long talks, but just short and with breaks. at 6 weeks it was ok for me to have longer and multiple conversations throughout the day (meetings, doing tutorials). Presentations were harde  I had my first long presentation after about 4 months - a 2 hour presentation with break in front of about 30 people in a room made for 50 without a microphone - it worked ok, but I definitely became weaker towards the second half and afterwards I really wanted to rest my voice.
So I think the 1:1 conversations are going to be possible rather soon as long as its not a noisy envorinment, the presentations may be more of a problem if they are too long or the room is to big without a microphone.

•  

iKate

I did have problems with power in the 1st month. However, endurance was never a problem for me. In fact the day after I started speaking I had a 50 minute session with my gender therapist and I did most of the talking.
  •  

Denjin

Thanks, Kate and Anja. :)  I've read the entire thread and healing does seem to vary quite greatly - as one would expect I guess.  Currently I'm working on getting in even better shape to help in healing.  When I had my SRS I got myself into insane shape before surgery and I healed up very quickly.  Since I'm a few years older now it's probably even more important.

I will need some sort of doctor letter to take more than two weeks off this early in the year, though. Legally you get five weeks paid holiday, but I think my employer would be a bit upset if I did that early in the year.
  •  

anjaq

In week 4-8 I could speak longer, but not too loud. I could talk to people for a 45 min meeting at week 5 or 6, but when I met a friend at a restraurant and talked to her for 2 hours in an increasingly noisy environment, I totally became weaker and the next day I was very weak in the voice and did a day of total voice rest...

I had a letter from my ENT that declared me unfit for work for the whole time from the day I had the surgery up to ybout 2-3 weeks after the surgery, I then went to work as mute as I was for about 2 weeks before I could talk again, this was a bit of a weird situation - and frustrating... but overall I did not have to take a single day vacation as it was all a medical procedure that my doctors judged to be necessary for my health and so she could declare me unfit for work without giving an explanation about it on the letter to the employer.

•  

iKate

I went back to work the Monday after I came back. I spend most of the day behind a computer so I can get away with not talking.
  •  

Charlotte_W

I've got a quick question. I'm obviously trying to do everything I can to stop coughing, and in doing so I do a lot of what I would call internal coughs where I stifle anything from coming out. So no sound comes out at all and it all feels like any cough only gets to the point of where the tickle in my throat is located and my chest kind of convulses with the internal cough. Is this okay or would this too do damage?
  •  

Ritana

Charlotte,

If you really need to caugh then let it out but open your mouth mouth wide open to let the air escape.  I sent you a friendly pm while here in Seoul. Sadly you didn't reply.

Rita
A post-op woman
  •  

Charlotte_W

Quote from: Ritana on January 11, 2016, 08:50:45 PM
I sent you a friendly pm while here in Seoul. Sadly you didn't reply.

Hi Rita, I replied to you just before I sent my previous message about coughing. This is the first time I've visited this site in a few days :-)
  •  

Ritana

I also found that drinking lots of water helps make the phlegm more fluid, making it easier to get rid of it though blowing air.
A post-op woman
  •  

anjaq

Acetylcystein also helps with that, I believe. I brought some with me, its OTC. It makes the phlegm softer...

•  

Denjin

Hope you're healing well, Charlotte. :)

I'm schedule up now for the very end of March. Now to do the math on paying with my MasterCard versus the wire transfer and then wait for time to pass.
  •  

Ritana

Thanks Denjen! It was me. Rita, who asked the question.

A post-op woman
  •  

Denjin

Quote from: Ritana on January 13, 2016, 04:54:14 PM
Thanks Denjen! It was me. Rita, who asked the question.
Oh yes sorry about that. :)  I missed some replies snuggled in amongst the others!
  •  

Charlotte_W

Well I've been back from Seoul since Saturday evening. Thankfully there were no issues in China and weirdly after queuing for 2 hours at their international transfer and security on the way there, we didn't queue at all on the way back. Not a single person was in front of us.

Anyway, my checkup with Dr Kim showed that the surgical site was healing well on Day 6, however the bad news is that I have had a horrible cold since Day 5 (what are the chances?), so to what extent this will affect my final results, I don't know?

I have tried to control and stifle as many coughs as I can, as well as sneezes, but inevitably a few coughs get through, though never at anything like full volume.

The flights back were the worst, door-to-door it took 24 hours and the 11 hour flight from Beijing to London was hellish with a sinus headache, blocked nose and bonus stomach cramps. The good news is I think I'm over the worst of the cold, so fingers crossed it has caused minimal damage, if any.
  •  

Ritana

I was very lucky that I had recovered from a nasty cold just the week before surgery. That minimised my chances of contracting another one postop. A cold is the worst thing that can happen to you after surgery. That is why Dr Kim wouldn't operate on you if you have any cold symproms as the coughing and sneezing would deal a serious blow to the surgical site.

Glad tou hear you handled it well and that you are recovering.
A post-op woman
  •  

anjaq

Oh no, getting a cold after the VFS is annoying. If it is just a cold with running nose, ok, but to suppress coughing while having a cold is probably hard. I had very strong codeine anti cough medication with me, just in case... Hope it all goes well for you. I had also a cold and flu before the VFS and it just cleared up with antibiotics 2 days before, I just continued the antibiotics until the morning of surgery and then continued with the ones from Dr Kim - seamlessly ;)

The flight back was the worst ever for me too. No waiting at all in China either. Apparently if you come from another Asian country its not so bad as if you come from Europe? It took us also about 24h overall to get back and I was not able to speak, my friend who came with me had a flu or something severe infection, she barely could walk... it was pretty crazy and I was so glad to be home.

•  

anjaq

Ok, I am closing in on my 12 month post op mark. 3 weeks from now it will be one year since the surgery...
I know its still 3 weeks and all that but I think I can assume that the changes until then will not be enourmous.

So what happened to my voice with surgery was not what I expected, I would say, but its still good. What I expected was a significant increase in pitch (+75 Hz), some change in timbre and the inability to go down into a male pitch range, probably some loss at the top end as well - all of this allowing me to speak without thinking in a female pitch and staying there even if I am startled, tired or whatever. I also expected my own perception of my voice to change , so that I would not feel "fake" anymore when I speak or try to change my voice.

Now what happened was that my pitch increased a bit (+35-45 Hz), timbre changed significantly and over time with a lot of unlearning and getting settled, my average pitch stabilized into a low female range and it became less and less straining to speak, compared to pre OP. So most of the time now I do not think about my voice, have not been misgendered or asked about my voice and because of the change in timbre even if my pitch drops very low, I still don't get weird looks. It has overall improved my self confidence a ton, my self perception of the voice is mostly female and I lost that feeling of "faking something" when speaking, which allowed also my inflections and laughing and all sorts of things about my voice to just run free and I guess my "natural femaleness" rushed in to make those good as well :). When I am among other women I do not feel like I stick out because of my voice anymore, giving me a better feeling of belonging.
But some things did not play out as I expected. While in the beginning I was still expecting a slow pitch increase over the months as Dr Kim described it to me, that did not happen. I went up by 35 Hz right at the day of surgery (of course that means 4 weeks later when I was able to speak) and basically changed to possibly 40-45 Hz increase over time - but that is probably more because I changed my speech patterns and inflections. Interestingly though involuntary sounds changed more than I expected (like squeaking when being surprised or moaning or crying). And while my comfortable speaking pitch ("my sweet spot") changed up, my lower vocal range at first decreased (lowest possible pitch went up by the same 30-45 Hz) but then went back, so I now still can reach once more down to about 90-100 Hz. Luckily it is not happening involuntarily though. My upper range at first significantly decreased from over 900 Hz to 750 Hz, but recently seems to be betting a bit better and I found a new way to produce squeaking sounds ("whistle register") at well over 1000 Hz (C6,D6 even E6) for short moments. Not sounding presentable but still - I never could make a sound like that before.
So that surprised me the most. My vocal range did not really change a lot, I still have my lowest lows but my comfortable pitch changed within that pitch range.

This seems to be a bit unique though as I heard from many others that their average pitch did increase by those 75 Hz or even more and that their lower range was indeed cut off significantly. So I am probably not the best "poster case" for this surgery, just wanted to share it as well, maybe also for those who also experience having stil a low range and all that - the cahnges in perception of my voice by myself and others still has changed massively and is liberating - no matter what pitch ranges and average pitch change says ;)

•