Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Chicago to expand insurance for transgender employees, pay for gender reassignme

Started by traci_k, August 06, 2015, 06:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

traci_k

Chicago to expand insurance for transgender employees, pay for gender reassignment

http://opuschicago.com/2015/08/05/chicago-to-expand-insurance-for-transgender-employees-pay-for-gender-reassignment/#

Opus Chicago
John M Livelsbergeron   August 5, 2015   

Transgender persons working for Chicago will have expanded health insurance benefits —joining Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C.

On Oct. 1, the City of Chicago will begin covering its employees' gender reassignment surgery.  Union leaders worked with the city to provide the coverage—for both union and non-union workers.

Sorry for posting this, but being in Chicago, this is very dear to my heart. Plus if anyone is looking for a job, perhaps looking for one with the City of Chicago may be a path to transition, or Philadelphia, San Francisco, ir Washington DC or one the the five states that have already mandated coverage for either state employees or for all employer sponsored plans.
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

ChiGirl

Yay, Chicago! Of course, my wife, who had a habit of half understanding things, said, "SO, this means your transition will be covered?" Well, maybe, if I actually worked FOR the city, which I don't.  I don't even work IN the city.  But I think this is great.  Proud of my hometown.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

•  

traci_k

Well, if we could get the state to mandate coverage like several other states, who knows, it could get covered. Like we've got a snowball's chance in you know where with a Republican governor, but with a super-majority in the legislature and enough lobbying, it could come to pass. Still working on things at the hospital I work at. I'm told it's moving slowly but surely.
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

gennee

Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Wynternight

I wonder if anything else might be covered. If they offered VFS, FFS, and BA I'd go looking for a city job.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Wynternight on August 08, 2015, 10:44:04 PM
I wonder if anything else might be covered. If they offered VFS, FFS, and BA I'd go looking for a city job.

They may cover a speech therapist, but no insurance i know of will cover VFS. FFS maybe if you have really bad damage but even then it's uphill. BA is sometimes covered.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: iKate on August 11, 2015, 11:06:43 AM
Quote from: Wynternight on August 08, 2015, 10:44:04 PM

They may cover a speech therapist, but no insurance i know of will cover VFS. FFS maybe if you have really bad damage but even then it's uphill. BA is sometimes covered.

I have heard, and maybe from someone here, that their insurance covered their entire transition but it took a lot of fighting and back and forth calls and letters from therapists, doctors, etc. I plan on doing everything I can to prove medical necessity for the VFS and FFS and see what happens. I may end up fighting them for a year but in the end they may say yes.
Stooping down, dipping my wings, I came into the darkly-splendid abodes. There, in that formless abyss was I made a partaker of the Mysteries Averse. LIBER CORDIS CINCTI SERPENTE-11;4

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •  

iKate

Quote from: Wynternight on August 11, 2015, 12:22:01 PM

I have heard, and maybe from someone here, that their insurance covered their entire transition but it took a lot of fighting and back and forth calls and letters from therapists, doctors, etc. I plan on doing everything I can to prove medical necessity for the VFS and FFS and see what happens. I may end up fighting them for a year but in the end they may say yes.

I have only heard of that happening in other countries that have a nationalized healthcare system (eg UK).

But good luck anyway. I am approaching my insurance about SRS but I don't know if I would like their choice of surgeon so I'm prepared to pay cash anyway. Even if it hurts. I want a good result and that's all that matters.
  •  

Wynternight

Quote from: iKate on August 11, 2015, 12:23:52 PM
Quote from: Wynternight on August 11, 2015, 12:22:01 PM

I have only heard of that happening in other countries that have a nationalized healthcare system (eg UK).

But good luck anyway. I am approaching my insurance about SRS but I don't know if I would like their choice of surgeon so I'm prepared to pay cash anyway. Even if it hurts. I want a good result and that's all that matters.

It's happened in the US but it's a fight. I'm willing to fight the fight and if I win I'll be all over here letting people know how I did it.

HRT- 31 August, 2014
FT - 7 Sep, 2016
VFS- 19 October, 2016
FFS/BA - 28 Feb, 2018
SRS - 31 Oct 2018
  •