Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Emigration issue

Started by BlackSword94, August 11, 2015, 08:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSword94

Hello,

My name is Yousef and I'm a 21 year old ftm from Kuwait. I live in an islamic arab country that does not acknowledge transsexualism as a medical condition that requires transition. The only treatment is conversaion theraby which we all know is not very effective. My only choice is to emigrate after I graduate from colleg yet I am confused at how to do so.

I am studying to be a computer engineer and I would like to go to Canada but I'm not sure they would hire a non-experienced young engineer and give a residence right away. I came across the term asylum or refugee programs that I can access the country through. If I contact a lawyer and explain my condition would I be able to emigrate there?

If anyone has any information please share.

Thank you,
  •  

Mariah

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

iKate

Quote from: BlackSword94 on August 11, 2015, 08:43:17 PM
Hello,
I am studying to be a computer engineer and I would like to go to Canada but I'm not sure they would hire a non-experienced young engineer and give a residence right away. I came across the term asylum or refugee programs that I can access the country through. If I contact a lawyer and explain my condition would I be able to emigrate there?

If anyone has any information please share.

Thank you,

Hi Yousef,

Refugee status in Canada is complex. I know people who have emigrated to Canada via refugee status. However it was on dubious grounds and they were eventually found out and had to go back home. So the Canadian Government is very skeptical now. However, you can still try. There is an organization called Rainbow Refugee Canada based in Vancouver that may be able to help you. They deal with LGBT refugees.

If you want to emigrate based on your skills, and not refugee status, you can apply but the best thing is to get a company to offer you a job. Canada uses a points based system where several things are factored in, including education and experience. Having a confirmed job offer increases your chances and having family in Canada also increases your chances. You must also have enough money to settle in Canada.

Getting a good attorney to help will go a long way. Choose wisely because there are a lot of crooks in the business.

Good luck and I hope you find success.
  •  

Athena

If there were a way for you to finish your schooling in Canada that would be helpful. This might expose you to companies that might offer you a job which would likely be the easier method of immigrating to Canada. I believe that there are videos on youtube that can give you some information on the process.
If I remember correctly currently Canada is unsympathetic to refugee claims based on LGBT discrimination though there is an election this year so with hopefully a new government then hopefully there will be a better response to LGBT people.

Canada itself even with an unsympathetic government still treats the LGBT community not terribly, there is much room for improvement. It is better here then probably most places in the world but not as good as others. Ontario elected an openly gay female premiere so like I say it isn't terrible here though there is a large backlog of people waiting for the ok for grs.
Formally known as White Rabbit
  •  

Evolving Beauty

I was in a similar country as yours. Me in 2011, I got sick of all the complication and complexities of emigration online, searching jobs abroad etc...that I just took a plane randomly as tourist and came to Europe. Reaching here I found my way out via associations and ask political asylum once here. Important is you need to make contact to the country you are targeting before you reach there like this you're not alone cos me I was 100% alone and it was a hot mess in the beginning. And think already in your head what job can you do with no contract. Majority of fleeing mtf tend to end up in the sex work but ftm I have no idea what you can do as work. Maybe cleaner of houses, work in a restaurant or private arabic teacher something like that but you need to find a friend online from the target destination to help you.
  •