Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on not shampooing? Or using alternatives such as baking soda + apple cider vi

Started by sqrkbkwmqko, August 02, 2015, 09:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sqrkbkwmqko

So I stumbled upon this post about not shampooing.

"What I've Learned From Three Years Without Shampoo" http://thehairpin.com/2014/01/three-years-without-shampoo/

The part where Lauren mentioned that her hair got softer & fluffier after switching to non-shampoo is what interests(?) me the most, as my hair is.. not that soft... Just fluffy :-\ I'd like it softer.
  •  

Laura_7

Well if you look at animals they don't wash their hair often and usually have very healthy, soft and shiny hair.

So imo its not really necessary to wash hair too often.

In some products there are ingredients which imo should not be there.
Some people report allergic reactions etc... well its advisable to look at the contents... there are some which use better or less harmful ingredients...

I'd go with organic products, and if you look at it at the core are some simple ingredients...

baking soda together with cider vinegar still makes for an excellent recipe in dough, by the way...
some baking powder has additionally to baking soda metallic acids which make for a metallic aftertaste...
if you go with the simple recipe it tastes like from grandma... very yummy...

hugs
  •  

barbie

Quote from: Laura_7 on August 02, 2015, 02:47:26 PM
Well if you look at animals they don't wash their hair often and usually have very healthy, soft and shiny hair.

And no animal is bald.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

kittenpower

•  

Picklehorse

No-Poo is a craze right now, particularly if you have dry, curly hair (say 2c curls and up). I don't shampoo and haven't for months. I use a sulfate-free cleanser once a week and a conditioner wash (co-washing) every other day.  You can find loads of information on this on the Web.

Word of warning though, women with 1a/b hair would find it hard to deal with the greasy hair stage for as long as you need to for this to work.

•  

sqrkbkwmqko

Quote from: Picklehorse on August 02, 2015, 05:05:55 PM
I don't shampoo and haven't for months.
How has your hair changed in texture & appearance?

Currently mine is... I don't know... stiff? Although it looks soft because of my natural soft curls. I swear when ever I go for a swim any one could notice how my hair looks as though water hasn't touched it! "waterproof" :p

I am going to try the baking soda + apple cider vinegar combo. Usually I shampoo once per day or per two days, but I didn't shampoo in the last 3 days I think.
  •  

Dena

That would never work for me. As a male, my skin was a grease factory. Hormones and surgery slowed production down a bit but by the third day my head starts to crawl. In the motor home when holding tank storage was limited, I would cut back to washing my hair twice a week but that was about all I could stand. With water plentiful, I rinse it one day and wash it the next.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

michelle666

I shampoo every three days. Only when my hair needs it. I've worked on clients who use dry shampoo and alternative methods and it's kinda gross. You need to keep you're scalp clean. Animals have different body chemistry than we have and don't sweat.
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: michelle666 on August 03, 2015, 09:16:16 PM
Animals have different body chemistry than we have and don't sweat.

:)
The building plan and components are exactly the same.

How did people fare hundreds of years ago ? They had shiny hair, too... if you look at indigenious people they have very healthy hair.

Its like a neovagina. There is positive bacteria that keeps a healthy flora intact.
Too much or the wrong products cause a need for those products to be applied constantly because the natural balance is disturbed.

There are different hair and scalp types. Products and procedures should be adapted accordingly.
But imo the main focus should be on retaining a natural balance.
Its not natural to wash hair every day with lots of chemical components.

hugs
  •  

kittenpower

Quote from: Laura_7 on August 04, 2015, 03:49:00 AM
:)
The building plan and components are exactly the same.

How did people fare hundreds of years ago ? They had shiny hair, too... if you look at indigenious people they have very healthy hair.

Its like a neovagina. There is positive bacteria that keeps a healthy flora intact.
Too much or the wrong products cause a need for those products to be applied constantly because the natural balance is disturbed.

There are different hair and scalp types. Products and procedures should be adapted accordingly.
But imo the main focus should be on retaining a natural balance.
Its not natural to wash hair every day with lots of chemical components.

hugs
I have long thick full hair that is shiny and healthy; I shampoo and condition my hair every three days.
  •  

Picklehorse

Sulfate free cleansing conditioners clean your scalp - its not gross. Just ask most women with Afro-Caribbean heritage.

For some of us shampoo is absolutely impossible to use without creating an unmanageable frizz ball. My hair is amazing right now and, as I said, I haven't shampooed since beginning April. But that's because I have dry 3a type curls and this is suited to my hair type.

But once again, this is for women with dry, curly hair that is dried out and damaged by shampoo, not fine, straight hair that gets greasy easily.

I've no idea about the benefits of other alternative methods.

•  

Lyric

I started the baking soda+vinegar shampoo substitute thing a few months ago. I can't say I'm crazy about it as a full time thing, though. After three or four weeks of it my hair starts to seem pretty grungy all the time. I decided to start throwing in a shampoo at least once a month and that seems to help. Some people who do the baking soda method occasionally use Dr. Bronner's soap for periodic shampooing and I may try that. Also, if you use mousses or styling products the baking soda idea is pretty much out.

Last week I tested another Internet hair care trend going around, the "Inversion Method", which some people claim has increases hair growth as much an inch in a week. I actually measured growth of 1/3 inch, but the method calls for daily oil treatments and daily washing (for one week). Baking soda didn't do the trick at all and I used baby shampoo most of the time. You do get really, really silky hair after a week of oil treatments, though. I may continue it as a monthly thing for awhile, so I'll be curbing the baking soda thing some.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •