Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Need a bit of help with naming a character

Started by Everbrooke, August 23, 2015, 04:44:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everbrooke

Soooo...growing up I wasn't super manly and hung out with a bunch of nerdy kids in my town, because they were happy to accept me and my older brother was also in to the nerdiest of things and as such I picked up a lot of it through osmosis.

Recently, I have joined up with some friends in an effort to make our own superhero universe.  We'd like to plan it out so it could fit into a multi-media infrastructure from the start and develop said multi-media in house.  We have a diverse group of skills and I am tasked with finishing up on a series of books that will detail an introduction to the superhero world and politics.  I'm also one of the lead designers of new characters.  I've pitched a character that has gone over very well with the rest of the group but am not happy with her current name and thought I might toss it up here and see if anyone is game to help me with something better.

Right now her name is Switch.

Switch is basically a mutant, a la the X-Men.  She isn't really a mutant because power source, yada yada, but what I mean is she is a person who was born apparently "normal" and developed extraordinary powers through natural progression of her development.  These powers made the apparently male Switch into a girl, which led to her getting beaten and sexually abused by her father at the age of 14.  After that she ran away from home, learned how to filch and steal to keep herself steady before she finds a group of people trying to protect the community who give her an actual home at the age of 19.

At the core of this idea is that Switch is a shapeshifter, but didn't turn into a girl because of her powers.  She became a girl because her subconscious perception of herself was as a girl, because regardless of having powers or not, she was transgendered and starting to explore and accept that before everything goes to hell in her life.  She doesn't fully realize this is what happened when first introduced but will grow to accept the truth as the story progresses.  She may have been able to figure it out sooner without the unneeded guilt put on her by her family, and her need to survive in a harsh city on the street.

Anyway I think "switch" is too generic, and would like a better name to fit the character.  It would have to be one she chooses for herself, and I'd like it to reflect her background and powers.  Switch does this, but almost sounds like a reference to her sexual preferences...I'd like to move away from that.  Thanks in advance to any help offered :D
  •