Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

So What Do You Think Of the About Ray Movie?

Started by noah732, August 19, 2015, 10:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noah732

Trailer:

Hi all,

So if you hadn't heard, a film that portrays the life of a transgender male teen titled About Ray is heading to theaters pretty soon.

A lot of my social media feed has been lit up with opinions (mostly negative from what I've observed thus far) thrown out there from trans folks about the movie. The majority of the main criticism focuses on the casting, that the transgender protagonist is played by a cisgender person. One other thing that has been controversial is the director's comments about the movie casting, made in an interview, which somewhat butcher the ideal definition of a transgender person. Ultimately, many transgender individuals have blatantly stated that they intend to boycott the film.

I personally do not have a problem with this movie. I am very much fine with the fact that they cast Elle Fanning as a transgender character. Realistically, there probably aren't very many pre-T trans guy actors available, much less one who could play the part well. I also don't see the necessity of making sure the actors have actually experienced the characters' experiences before casting them.

It's true that the director's interview was a bit if-y, but after watching the trailer I found no major issue or inaccuracy surrounding the concept of transgenderism.

Overall, I found the preview heartwarming and emotional — it's so very very inexplicably amazing to see something that hits so close to home on the big screen!  Honestly, if people are going to boycott the film then I am going to counteract by supporting it and going to see it. Totally excited for when this comes out in a month.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

captains

That quote from the director reads pretty badly, but the more I  look at it the more I wonder if this is a problem with language rather than actual content? Like, I'm hoping what they meant to say was "I cast a female actor bc my story was explicitly about life pre-transition" (to which one could respond "cast a pre-transition actor" but). I dunno.

I dont want to be all pollyanna about BS, but also if this film is executed even just adequately, it'll be really valuable to me. And I mean, I actually do think the pre-t experience is partially defined by being perceived as female and how that shapes you, impacts you, and even how it alienates you. So having a female actor doesn't automatically put me off.

That said, if that quote ISNT a language issue and in fact DOES accurately represent the filmmakers' feelings, it's ... maybe not a good sign as to how strong the film will be re: trans issues and representation. All the interviews I've seen w/ Elle Fanning looked pretty good though, and the trailer seems strong. I'll definitely be seeing it. I want this to be good.
- cameron
  •  

Garry

Will be avoiding it like the plague. What the director said is outright disgusting transphobia and I wont be supporting it. We dont need cis people speaking for and over us. The stories are ours and ours alone to tell. Pre-transition trans guys exist yet cis people are favoured over us, while invalidating us the entire time (all the quotes about 'becoming herself chasing the opportunity to start hormone therapy' 'she is a girl'.. seriously? That is disgusting). Even if its not as bad as that on screen I will not be supporting it from someone who sees us that way and makes her story more important than our lives. They dont care about accurate representation, all they care about is benefitting from our stories for profit. This does not benefit us by false representation catered to ignorant cis people. Any representation is not good if it is bad which from the sounds of it its going to be. Not in the least bit beneficial to trans people for that narrative to be reinforced

Top surgery soon plz..
  •  

FTMax

Will also be avoiding it like the plague and letting everyone in my social circle know that I disagree with it. The director clearly doesn't know what she's talking about, and it's insulting to cast a female as a transman even pre-transition. There are plenty of cisguys who could pass for a younger pre-everything guy, and they made the decision to go a different route. It's ridiculous.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Carrie Liz

I'm kinda okay with a cis woman playing the lead, because first of all I'm a realist, this is Hollywood, they need big names to get funding to make it in the first place, and the lead character is pre-transition, so it's not as blatant of a problem as portraying a post-transition person who's been full-time for years with a cis actor/actress because it doesn't grossly misrepresent what we look and sound like as much.

I do think it's great that they're actually making a story about the transition of a trans guy. You guys get like NO representation in media whatsoever because society is so fixated on the transitions of trans women.

Everything else about the movie screams bad things to me, though.

The director's comments calling the lead character "a girl who is being herself" and "a girl who is presenting in a very ineffectual way as a boy" is hugely problematic in sending up red flags that the director doesn't actually understand trans people at all.

And judging by the trailer, which seems to make it seem like the ENTIRE movie is about the character's transition, I'm really afraid that this is going to share a lot of the same problems that the whole "Gender Novel" thing has in the book world... they're written by cis people for cis people about what being trans is like, although with no actual understanding of what real-life trans people are like. http://thewalrus.ca/rise-of-the-gender-novel/

One of the things I loved about more recent trans-themed shows/movies like "Boy Meets Girl" and "Transparent" is that they weren't just about transition, being trans was just one aspect of their lives, and not some grandoise Hercluean quest for self-acceptance with transition itself being the end of the hero's journey. Give the trans person some hopes, dreams, aspirations, defining personality traits where their gender is just one part of that. Acknowledge that transition is just the treatment of a medical condition that isn't the end goal of your life, it's the beginning of your life where you can finally pursue your life's purpose because gender doesn't constantly interrupt it anymore. Acknowledge that there's still struggles even after transition. Don't just make it some "oh poor me, I'm just fighting to be who I am, this is all I've ever wanted, I'd be so happy if you'd just let me do this ONE thing, PLEASE accept me" thing where it's meant to do nothing but engage the audience's sympathies.

Ever since I saw the Youtube video posted by the trans guy who was rejected from American Idol, ( http://tinyurl.com/p4j67z2 ) I can't help but think that Hollywood is basically cashing in on our stories because we're a trend right now, and they deliberately have a very specific type of trans person they're looking for because it's a type that their audience can "accept" and feel sympathy for even though it completely does not challenge their views on gender or sexuality or, you know, accepting gender diversity for what it is, a spectrum, rather than only showing the stories of those who are white, middle-class, fit into a narrow box of gendered stereotypes, always felt that way, and are completely compliant woobies who don't challenge or lash out at the big bad system, they're just little puppy dogs that just want your acceptance, oh socially-progressive white cis viewing audience. Accept me! Please!

Those are my problems with it. Show me some defining character traits and diversity that go beyond turning the character into a walking token trans person where being trans is the only aspect of their character, and show me that the writer actually understands what it's like to be trans, they're not just writing a "trans story" that liberal Hollywood can pat itself on the back for for being so "progressive" when in fact it grossly misrepresents what it's actually like to be trans, and then I'll be excited.
  •  

noah732

Quote from: ftmax on August 20, 2015, 08:12:33 AM
There are plenty of cisguys who could pass for a younger pre-everything guy, and they made the decision to go a different route. It's ridiculous.

@ftmax
I do have an issue with the director's quotes but I strongly disagree with your opinion on the casting. It seems incredibly unrealistic to spend time finding a cisgender male who not only looks like he could be a trans male, but who is also a decent actor, AND who is also able to play the kind of character that the movie intends to portray.

Furthermore, I do not see any benefit whatsoever in having anyone other than a cis girl play the role of Ray. In my opinion, having a male play Ray would be even MORE damaging to the transgender image than having a female as the role. Pre-transition trans males ARE male, but most of the time, they LOOK female and they SOUND female. This is transgender in its total rawness, and I actually like that that is how the movie chose to execute it.

•  

noah732

Quote from: Carrie Liz on August 20, 2015, 12:29:23 PM
I'm kinda okay with a cis woman playing the lead, because first of all I'm a realist, this is Hollywood, they need big names to get funding to make it in the first place, and the lead character is pre-transition, so it's not as blatant of a problem as portraying a post-transition person who's been full-time for years with a cis actor/actress because it doesn't grossly misrepresent what we look and sound like as much.

I do think it's great that they're actually making a story about the transition of a trans guy. You guys get like NO representation in media whatsoever because society is so fixated on the transitions of trans women.

Everything else about the movie screams bad things to me, though.

The director's comments calling the lead character "a girl who is being herself" and "a girl who is presenting in a very ineffectual way as a boy" is hugely problematic in sending up red flags that the director doesn't actually understand trans people at all.

And judging by the trailer, which seems to make it seem like the ENTIRE movie is about the character's transition, I'm really afraid that this is going to share a lot of the same problems that the whole "Gender Novel" thing has in the book world... they're written by cis people for cis people about what being trans is like, although with no actual understanding of what real-life trans people are like. http://thewalrus.ca/rise-of-the-gender-novel/

One of the things I loved about more recent trans-themed shows/movies like "Boy Meets Girl" and "Transparent" is that they weren't just about transition, being trans was just one aspect of their lives, and not some grandoise Hercluean quest for self-acceptance with transition itself being the end of the hero's journey. Give the trans person some hopes, dreams, aspirations, defining personality traits where their gender is just one part of that. Acknowledge that transition is just the treatment of a medical condition that isn't the end goal of your life, it's the beginning of your life where you can finally pursue your life's purpose because gender doesn't constantly interrupt it anymore. Acknowledge that there's still struggles even after transition. Don't just make it some "oh poor me, I'm just fighting to be who I am, this is all I've ever wanted, I'd be so happy if you'd just let me do this ONE thing, PLEASE accept me" thing where it's meant to do nothing but engage the audience's sympathies.

Ever since I saw the Youtube video posted by the trans guy who was rejected from American Idol, ( http://tinyurl.com/p4j67z2 ) I can't help but think that Hollywood is basically cashing in on our stories because we're a trend right now, and they deliberately have a very specific type of trans person they're looking for because it's a type that their audience can "accept" and feel sympathy for even though it completely does not challenge their views on gender or sexuality or, you know, accepting gender diversity for what it is, a spectrum, rather than only showing the stories of those who are white, middle-class, fit into a narrow box of gendered stereotypes, always felt that way, and are completely compliant woobies who don't challenge or lash out at the big bad system, they're just little puppy dogs that just want your acceptance, oh socially-progressive white cis viewing audience. Accept me! Please!

Those are my problems with it. Show me some defining character traits and diversity that go beyond turning the character into a walking token trans person where being trans is the only aspect of their character, and show me that the writer actually understands what it's like to be trans, they're not just writing a "trans story" that liberal Hollywood can pat itself on the back for for being so "progressive" when in fact it grossly misrepresents what it's actually like to be trans, and then I'll be excited.

Yes, I agree with most of your perspective. However, I personally am still willing to believe that the film might just turn out to be heartwarming. I think that the movie is mostly just about transition, but it seems like just a subjective choice, and it kind of appeals to me. I especially like that it focuses on his mother coping with the idea of her child's transition. These concepts I currently find very relatable and I'd be happy to see them on the big screen if done well.

I liked what I saw in the trailer enough to give the movie a shot (although I am certainly not enthusiastic about the director's cringeworthy comments in the interview!).

-N

•  

graspthesanity

Avoiding just like everyone else said. The whole situation with the director is downright disgusting.

I'll also disagree about getting a female actress for the role, no woman should ever play a trans man. This just falls under blatant transphobia which the director proved to have. And I'm very sad to see that many people are still supporting this step backwards. Sorry for being upfront about it.