Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Need advice

Started by boredrooster, August 29, 2015, 06:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boredrooster

There's something that's been disturbing me for a while now. That is coming out to my parents. They will never accept me being trans. I don't want to come out to them in all honestly. I just don't want them in my life. I have spent countless sleepless nights thinking of what I should do. I pretty much think my only solution is to dissappear from their lives. One day I plan to move to Toronto from the United states. When that day comes I will just leave quietly and leave a note saying that I'm a mtf trans woman and to stay out of my life forever because I'm a disappointment in their eyes. If I come out I will be met with unecessary opposition. I thought about it and in all honestly I hate my family. I used to respect my dad but he has recently converted to Christianity from Buddhism. Honestly, I know this is prejudice but I really can't stand christians.... I'm sorry but this belief has changed my dad into a moderate father figure to a religious fanatic on a lgbt crusade. And I'll never forgive Christianity for that. I used to respect religion itself because in some self it gives society a moral stance. Not anymore. It took away the only person in my family that I respected.

Has anyone ever done this? That is have they ever just left they're family when financially sufficient and just told them I'm trans and stay out of my life forever? I know it's cowardly but what else am I going to do... it's not worth the bull that comes with coming out.

•  

Dena

I haven't done it and I think may not be a better idea. I can understand needing to move out, but keep a line of communication open to your parents even if it's only an email address created just for this purpose. People change when they have to face the truth and there may still be something to salvage. You owe them the chance to open the communication lines again. If they decide not to do it, it only cost you a free email account. Also if they understand the only link to you is the email account and you can break contact at any time, they might be more careful with their discussion.

As for christians, I consider myself to be one and there are many good ones out there. I do admit there are christians that I wouldn't want to associated with as well. Judge people by the content of their character and not by the label they wear. You will have far more good friends that way.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Arch

Your particular family dynamic is key.

At twenty-one, I left home and cut all ties WITHOUT telling my parents I was trans. I knew that there was such a thing as MTFs, but I didn't realize that it could go the other way.

My brother eventually gave them my contact info, and after a nasty struggle, I started sending letters to my folks, mostly out of guilt. Several years into that, I realized that I was a transsexual, but I thought that meant mental illness, so I started labeling myself a cross dresser (the book I had didn't say that women who dress as men are mentally ill). I still didn't tell my parents.

After a few more years of this (maybe five), I was finally calling myself transgender, but I reached my limit and could no longer write letters to my parents. I cut them off again, this time for about twenty years. If my father had been divorced or a widower, I wouldn't have done that. I can't stand my mother. She is very traditional and conservative. Unless she has changed radically, she is guided by conservative religious beliefs.

My father tracked me down, and I reestablished contact with him alone. I am living as a man now, and I came out to him a little while into the relationship. He was thrown for a loop, but he hasn't cut me off. However, he has kept me a secret from my mother. As far as I know, she doesn't know that he is even talking to me. He recently dropped me a note to tell me that he is still figuring things out. He didn't say that in so many words, but it's what he meant.

I have mixed feelings about the whole mess because, frankly, I want nothing to do with my mother, but my parents have been married for sixty years and aren't going to divorce at this late date! So it's a package deal. And I don't even know quite what I want from my father, either, so I'm further confused by my inability to figure that out.

As you can see, this has been a thirty-year ride that isn't over yet, and it has been affected by so many variables that I still haven't teased them all out. No two families are alike, so you need to figure out and act on your own variables. You can sort out some of this stuff with a professional. See if you can figure out exactly what you want and why. And don't burn your bridges. Think carefully about coming out and when you come out, since you cannot stuff that genie back into the bottle. And don't forget that your fortunes can turn. Some time after I cut my parents off for the first time, I was broke, hungry, and thiiiis close to being homeless. I wouldn't have asked for financial help from them under any circumstances, but you might feel differently in a similar situation. And I should point out that a lot of parents surprise their kids and become accepting, even if it takes a few years.

Think carefully, talk to someone, plan, and make conscious choices and not kneejerk reactions.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Dena

I must be slowing down because I should have thought of this much earlier and I hope I am wrong about it. If you haven't met with the people you know in Canada, I would think very carefully about making this move. I looked at your past post and you are young and without much money. It sounds like your friends are willing to take care of you and pay your way. You are unhappy  with home life and want to get away so bad you are willing to go to another country where US laws have little control over you. With what I know, this is exactly how sex slavery prostitution ring acquire street walkers. You could find yourself working the street earning only enough to feed yourself, not receiving treatment and afraid to go to the law for help. I would not consider that a dream life.

Before you dismiss what I say, ask yourself one question, how many rich young people are there on Susan's. Yes there are a few but for the most part everybody is trying to figure out how to pay for medical expenses.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

boredrooster

Obviously this Will be once I have the funds... I can't move to an entire country without money.
  •  

stephaniec

the only thing I can add is look at the words that Jesus spoke not at the words that are put into his mouth.
  •  

CarlyMcx

I am not going to come out to my parents, but that is mostly because it would not matter.  Dad had a massive stroke in 2009 and is bedridden.  He probably still has the intellectual capacity to understand me transitioning, but frankly if I had been able to transition when I was younger, came out and went for it, Dad would have said and done everything he could possibly think of to stop me.  And before the stroke, Dad was one sneaky, smarmy, stalkerey, boundary violating, manipulative s.o.b.

The big reason it took me until last year to come out to myself was because he got so far into my head with his b.s. that I went into deep denial about being trans, and put everything into living the life he wanted me to live -- white collar career, nice house, wife and kids, etc., etc., etc.

Mom still has most of her mental faculties, but has been physically crippled by severe arthritis, to the point she can barely walk.

I always thought she and Dad were partners in marriage, but after he suffered the stroke Mom kind of fell apart, and I learned from that that Dad always pulled the strings.

Add to this that my parents always treated my younger brother and sister better than they treated me (even my wife noticed this and brought it up to me without any prompting from me), and frankly there is no love lost between myself and them.

So I understand completely if you have to cut ties with your parents.  You have to live your own life, not the one they want you to live.
  •  

rib

I just came out to my mom as ftm maybe 6 months ago and I haven't come out to my dad. When I was 6 my dad went through my sister's trash and found a note outing her as a lesbian. Then he grounded her and basically crossed the line. She moved out on her 18th birthday with no warning or explanation. She went to live with her girlfriend who was 28 (now they're married) Then she didn't talk to my parents for years. Eventually my mom realized that she wasn't homophobic it was my dad pretty much brainwashing her. Now my mom has a great relationship with my sister and me. My dad continues to be an idiot in every aspect of his life. I'll never give him a chance but I'm glad I gave my mom a chance. I'm young still but maybe think about the pros and cons. My dad just had a hunch I was trans and immediatly decided he would no longer pay for my school in order to prevent me from using my money for trans related surgery. This is kind of all over the place but I hope something I said helps you make a desicion.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

•  

ActionLiz

Hi boredrooster,

I'm really sorry to hear about your dad, and your tough situation in general.  Your post really tugged at my heart strings because I lost a brother to suicide ten years ago, and I know how much pain there is in losing a family member and knowing that you can never, never get them back.  Obviously moving out isn't quite that permanent, but here are a few things to think about before you make the decision.

I'm an MTF born-again Christian, so I can say from personal experience that there are both trans Christians and trans-friendly Christians out there.  If you do get to the point where you feel like you want to try to bring your dad around on some of the lgbt stuff, there are some good resources out there that examine TG issues in a positive light and from a Christian perspective.  A pro-trans perspective from someone who shares his faith might help to broaden his views a bit.

Also, one other thought -- for folks who take your dad's view, there's often a world of difference between denouncing LGBT people in the abstract and realizing they have a daughter who is trans.  If there's one thing in the world that could change his mind on this issue, coming out to him may be it.

That said, when it comes to cutting off your parents, I'd ask what you'd do if you weren't trans and go from there.  If you were a cis female and your parents already knew you as their daughter, would you want them in your life?  If so, it seems like a shame to lose the potential for that relationship because of the anxiety associated with the coming out process. (Not to minimize that -- I haven't come out to my parents yet, either, and I have absolutely no idea how they'll react, and it scares me to death.) If not, maybe it's best that you don't see them any more -- but please, please make sure you have a good support network in place before you make the jump.  I think Dena makes some really good points about that.

Bottom line -- I don't know your parents, and it's possible that they're vampire people who add nothing to your life.  It definitely sounds like your relationship with them is pretty rocky, so maybe that's the case.  But if there's a part of you that wants a good relationship with them, please consider giving them a chance to do the right thing and accept you for who you are.  If they don't, you can move on with no regrets.  But maybe they'll surprise you.  I'm going to give my parents the chance to surprise me.

Love and hugs.  It's never easy when you feel shut out by the ones who should care and understand the most.  Just remember there are people who care.

All the best,
Liz

•