Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

My Experience at Papillon Center

Started by Maybebaby56, September 12, 2015, 10:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maybebaby56

First a little side story:

I went to the Papillon Center yesterday to get my upper lip done with a local anesthetic. The Papillon Center is in New Hope, PA, about a three-hour drive for me, but it was the closest place I could get it done with a local anesthetic. 

When I walk in, who is sitting there, but Christine Kitzler, that poor woman with the parents that tried to get a court injunction to stop her SRS.  I filled out my paper work, and went outside for a while (I was very early for my appointment), and when I went back in, Dr. McGinn is standing there, talking to Christine. I must say, they both look just like their pictures.  I wish I had introduced myself to Dr. McGinn, but I felt a little star-struck, and Dr. McGinn looked very busy as she rushed off afterward, so I kept to myself. 

I found out later from the staff, Christine had her SRS last week, and was up and walking around like nothing had happened!  (She might have been in pain, for all I knew, but she certainly didn't show it.)

Enough gossip.  For the electrolysis, the PA, Crystal, gave me the injections.  I thought it was going to be something like a dental block, but what it turned out to be was three injections on each side of the lip with about a 1-inch needle.  They. Hurt. Like. Hell.  The last one, to the center-line of my lip, I nearly came off the table.  Beads of sweat were running down my face, and tears were involuntarily coming out of my eyes.  The electrologist, Lori, was asking "Are you okay?"  "Yes," I panted.

So she did my lip.  There were still some whiskers that were real zingers.  It was done in about 45 minutes, so I asked for my throat to be done.  Crystal came back in and shot up my throat.  It did not hurt nearly as bad.

My lip was a bit puffy afterward, so I took some ibuprofen and applied some ice when I got home.  This morning I got up and Oh-My-God - my lip was twice as big!  I look like Bugs Bunny.  My throat, where the injections were made, puffed up too, so now I have big jowls as well. I'm icing my lip and throat down down periodically, and I can only hope I look semi-normal by the time I go to work on Monday.

This was not what I anticipated. I expected some swelling, which is why I made the appointment on a Friday, but I didn't expect this.  I didn't expect the injections to be their own special form of torture.  I'm not sure I would recommend this for others unless you have no other options.  The plus side is the staff is nice, and obviously they are very trans-friendly, and New Hope is a very cute little town if you have time to visit.

Terri

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives" - Annie Dillard
  •  

Dena

I did it all without pain killer but I feel your pain. While I was in college I had a bee nail me on the upper lip and i walked around for days with my face distorted.

As for walking around after surgery, when they let me out of the hospital, I had to take a several hour bus ride to Denver and then a cab ride to the airport followed by the flight back to Orange County, CA. The only real problem was sitting for a long period of time would get uncomfortable. Standing or laying down would have been better. In addition, I returned to work 4 days out of the hospital and the real problem was getting enough sleep, not moving around.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Maybebaby56

Dena,

Wow. Then one thing is clear.  I am a total wuss when it comes to pain. This is going to be along road for me. <sigh>

Terri
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives" - Annie Dillard
  •  

cheryl reeves

•  

Dena

Quote from: Maybebaby56 on September 12, 2015, 12:03:02 PM
Dena,

Wow. Then one thing is clear.  I am a total wuss when it comes to pain. This is going to be along road for me. <sigh>

Terri
The trick is distraction. Tell the operator you don't want to talk during the session unless it's important and concentrate on a problem or blank your mind like you are trying to go to sleep. Above all don't think about the area being worked on. Yes I felt what was going on but I didn't pay attention to it. I would get deep enough that after the session it would take a little time before I was ready to get up. Like you, I hate pain but about the only option for pain killers was going to a doctors office before treatment and my operator didn't work with a doctor so I found other ways to deal with it.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Laura_7

You could have a look here:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,189332.msg1698168.html#msg1698168

Bromelain can also be found in fresh pineapple.
All at your own risk... and ask your doc... 

Wish you a speedy recovery.
  •