Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Boy meets girl - UK comedy - trans actor in trans role

Started by rosinstraya, September 06, 2015, 12:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosinstraya

I broke into the iplayer to watch this one and it was lovely.

There were some typically British humour bits, and a good regional setting - the depths of Newcastle-upon-Tyne - as well as a truthful (could it be otherwise?) portrayal of a trans woman in her 40s. With a madcap family - ok, ok!

The show managed not to feel like a comedy with a trans angle cobbled to it, and nor did it come across preachy or imploring.

It will be interesting to see how the story develops and what the viewer feedback is. Hopefully it will also get shown in other countries.
:)
[table][tr][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]
  •  

Alison-Rose

I first heard about this show about two months ago when Rebecca Root promoted it on a YouTube channel I'm subscribed to, though I missed the first part due to it clashing with my work schedule. However, earlier this week I finally decided to watch through the whole series and came away very impressed.

Sure, there might be a few too many lowbrow jokes (which I probably should have expected - this is Newcastle, after all!) and one scene* in particular felt a little unrealistic, but overall it was great to see a subject so close to my heart finally being tackled in a way that didn't come across as even remotely mocking.

I'm hoping to enjoy another marathon through all six episodes over the weekend with my partner, who's yet to see any of it, though she's certainly heard a lot of praise from myself in the last few days. The best description I've read for Boy Meets Girl is "Gavin & Stacey with a twist," which is actually quite on the mark.

Incredibly, the trans element never feels shoehorned in, and for something advertised as a comedy, I was amazed by how much I nearly cried in places. Both the good and bad of life is almost flawlessly represented, but I'm not certain what to make of the ending, as it was both definitive to a point and also open-ended.

I've yet to see how this performed in the ratings, but the BBC clearly had high hopes to put it in an early post-watershed slot, plus there is already talk of another series being ordered. I'd certainly be up for more, with perhaps my only real complaint being that it could easily been much longer.

Then again, it's said the flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long, so maybe it's for the best we only got a short run as opposed to something obviously padded out with filler? Overall, the story had a fantastic, natural pace and didn't outstay its welcome. I predict great things for its lead...

Speaking of Rebecca Root, for those who aren't aware, she's not only a fantastic actress and comedian, but a vocal coach, too. I'm hoping that come the next award season her efforts aren't forgotten, as it's amazing how she's on the verge of deservedly becoming a star relatively late in life!

*I don't want to give away any spoilers, as I'm guessing many of you may end up getting the DVD that's only just come out, but the end of the bowling sequence just didn't sit comfortably with me. Also, the final episode was quite densely packed, having a much faster pace than everything before it.

P.S. The woman that is portrayed only turns 40 at the very end.
  •  

rosinstraya

Hi Alison-Rose!
I'm off 10 pin bowling with friends later today, so I'll tell you if it ends up like that! I know what you mean about that scene - I'd more likely find ways that don't involve violence, in fact almost certainly that's the case. Although it would be quite nice to knock over every stupid bigot out there it ain't gonna happen in RL! (Real life, not rugby league.....where it must happen all the time!)

I've really enjoyed the 3 episodes I've seen so far - might try and catch the rest tomorrow. Sounds like I'll be asking for a copy of the DVD too.

I agree with you on Rebecca Root (good name in Strayan English....) - she really is terrific as Judy and also when she speaks about her life and experiences. I hope she gets a lot of good roles following on from this - and is one of many trans actors playing trans roles in future!

Brava to her!
[table][tr][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]
  •