Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

resigned senior

Started by Sammy, September 07, 2015, 09:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy

Hello.  All of my life, from the time I was old enough to know I hated dolls and loved fire trucks, I've known I should have been male.  But the rub is, I'm now 65 years old.  As I was growing up, I only knew that something was not right, but after resisting the best a child can, finally being forced to start wearing shirts at age 10, I pretty much went along with what a girl (and woman) should be like and do.  School was agony as I had to wear dresses.  At least my parents went along so far as to give me the 'boy toys' I requested and heaven help any relative that gave me a doll.  Because in that era we also had to wear dresses in high school, I was not a happy or good student.  I went ahead and played the part my body dictated, married several times, but never wanted children.

I guess the most confusing thing of all was, I was never sexually (or pretty much in any other way) interested in girls.  In my early 20s, I finally could dress as masculine as I liked, and figured, since I'm really a boy, I should like girls.  But after several uncomfortable excursions into the lesbian scene, I knew that wasn't right either.  I was attracted to men, as a girl should be.  I have held this as the bellwether all my life that meant I really wasn't a boy inside at all.  But after reading Chaz Bono's book last week about transitioning, I realized that I could actually be a male who was homosexual.  Very confusing to say the least.  But that knowledge led me to do a lot of research.  I now know who I am, and what I am, and probably why I have spent the last 10 years very alone and enjoying it.  There was just no where I fit.  Were I 20 years, even 10 years younger, with what I know now, I would definitely look into transitioning.  If nothing else, getting rid of the large breasts that have been a horror to me since I was 13.  But I'm not.  I'm just too old physically to go through the hormonal and physical aspects of transition.

Mostly why I am here is to be able to express all this to someone.  I have never told a soul how I felt and it has led to 5 divorces after short marriages and a pretty solitary life.  Thank you for being here, because if nothing else, I can finally verbalize the hell I have lived with (and will continue to live with, although it's easier at my age) for all of my life.  I would like to read success stories here about how transitioning worked out for you younger folks, even if I can't do it myself.  Again, thank you for supplying a forum for this.
  •  

Megan Rose

If you choose to be female the rest of your life, that's okay.   I've known other trans-people who aren't up to transition for their own reasons.

But, age shouldn't be an excuse.   I personally know another transman who transitioned at age 66.   Many of my friends (myself included) transitioned after age 60.   It has challenges because a person becomes less flexible both mentally and physically.   But, it's also a good age because obstacles are somewhat easier, like jobs and family.

Best of luck!
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Sammy on September 07, 2015, 09:12:10 PM
I have held this as the bellwether all my life that meant I really wasn't a boy inside at all.  But after reading Chaz Bono's book last week about transitioning, ... 

For me once the first myth tumbled the rest fell like dominoes, I had 51 years to make them fit and I never could...There are those here older than both of us who have and are in the process of transitioning...if that is what you want...if you don't, then great save yourself the $$. If you can find a way to be happy then do it,  don't fall as I did for the old "my narrative is not exactly like that person so I can't be" rubbish because we all have our own history that shapes how we ended up where we are at now. I hope you find what is right for you and get some peace in your life

Take care

Sarah T
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Cindy

Hi Sammy and Welcome to Susan's

Please check out the following links for general site info...

Change is something that is hard to do and the older we get sometimes it feels impossible. But you have to decide what will make you happy for the rest of your life.

I transitioned when I was 58. I am so glad I did. If I die tomorrow, at least I will die as me. Oh and I intend to keep living for a long time!

Welcome to the site!

Cindy
  •  

warlockmaker

I talked with my therapists for 3 years before I knew I just had to transition. Once I decided I started HRT and my SO saw the happiness and peace in me and was amazingly supportive. But, as I approach the surgery date she has been talking with me about staying where I am, she like the new me. She quotes other trans that have done this succesfully, however while I can accept that this is ok choice for some of us of us its NOT for me. Age is never an issue if you are healthy and I am alot older than anyone could imagine. I have that zest for life and a positive attitude my whole life and I look forward to the wonders that will make the latter part of my life facinating as a female.
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

V M

Hi Sammy  :icon_wave:

Welcome to Susan's  :)  Glad to have you here, join on in the fun

Hugs

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

katrinaw

Warm welcome to Susan's Sammy

big hugs...

Its hard, very hard, I have also tried hiding and protecting myself and my family since a very young kid, had nowhere to go then, so you do what you need to do to survive.

Even after starting transition (secretly from those I love the most) 12 years ago, I am still struggling with how to turn around years of hiding and the big charade.

Now at 62 I am starting to undo all those years...

So really you know how it affects you on a daily basis and whether you can still manage it or not... But anyway thanks for recognising what we do and offer... thanks xxx

Look forward to seeing you about the forum's

L Katy  :-*
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

Rachel

Welcome to Susan's.

I am 53 and started HRT a little over 2 years ago and did my intake almost 3 years ago. I have done things I once thought impossible. Good luck in your journey.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •