Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Too low T and histamine problems?

Started by Ephemeral, September 04, 2015, 05:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephemeral

I am waiting to see my endocrinologist, but I need to know if others have been experiencing this as well. I have been self medding for about one and a half years, and about a couple of months ago, I began experience problems that are clearly imo related to histamine in some way. Initially, it began with itchy and dry eyes though it could be partially caused by that I use the pc a lot in my job, but it developed into pretty serious reactions including hot flushes and hives and eventually pretty serious case of angiodema (swelling of the face). The doctor thought it was an anaphylactic reaction because I have all the symptoms.

However, what they don't know is that I'm an ftm who is surgically castrated because I removed my gonads a bit before I began taking T.

Reading a little on hot flushes and eczema which I got a diagnosis for today, I keep finding myself on sites for menopausal problems. Has any guy whose been on low T and not have any functional gonads or began transition in menopause experienced this? The solution is simple, obviously. Up my T so estrogen becomes aromatized more, and the menopausal symptoms should go away.
I'll try that either way.

I am however wondering if I should seek further assistance about this but I have a sour taste in my mouth because I felt like the doctor I saw today for this was very unsympathetic and too certain it was stress induced eczema and I should just treat the eczema and everything else will solve itself. What about >-bleeped-<ing flashes??  They're way worse than the damn eczema. Obviously the eczema isn't causing me have hot flushes. I've never heard of that before, and if anything it's the flushes causing the eczema and I told him this and I brought up my dry eyes too. These are all related symptoms I'm extremely sure because they all onset after each other and I didn't have them before.

Yeah I'm kind of pissed and frustrated over not feeling like I'm taken seriously.
Come watch with me as our world burns.
  •  

FTMDiaries

I'd recommend you seek further assistance, and please do tell the doctor about your oopho and T supplementation: they can't diagnose & treat you appropriately if they aren't in possession of the facts. If the doctor presumed you were a cis male when he saw you, he wouldn't consider the usual causes of hot flushes and may have dismissed them as a misreported symptom, e.g. of skin irritation due to eczema.

It's possible that the itchy eyes, eczema, swelling & hives are unrelated as they could be caused by anything: food or drink; toiletries; pets; airborne irritants; other medications such as painkillers; vitamin/mineral/herbal supplements; laundry detergent or fabric softener etc. Have you considered the very real possibility that you've developed an allergy to something in the T preparation? If this is the case, what do you think might happen to your symptoms if you increase the dose? At any rate, I wouldn't recommend upping your T in the hope that aromatase would take care of the problem, as this is unreliable and potentially dangerous.

•  

HeyTrace19

I began having similar issues after the ovaries were removed...itchy, dry skin, painfully dry eyes, increased hair loss.  No hot flashes, but I live in a warm climate, so maybe I just do not notice.  Having been on T for three years already at that point, I was fairly certain it was due to the loss of the estrogen factories and not an allergen issue.  My doc and I discussed upping my T dose a little, to see what would happen, but that caused some other undesirable effects such as polycythemia, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.  For my body, the dose of Testosterone is a delicate balance, and I must pick the lesser evils.  I am back down to a minimal dose and things have stabilized, but the dry eyes are very unpleasant! 

•  

Ephemeral

Skin dryness isn't a problem, just the eczema, dry eyes and hot flushes. It does feel better now that I'm at home, can walk around essentially naked with the door open and with the skin creams I got to help soothe the eczema. The real question is how I'd feel once I go back to work as I always found the flushes got worse at work, likely because I have to wear clothes, higher overall temp in the work environment etc. The warmer it is and the warmer I become, the more uncomfortable I feel flushes wise. Really feels like my skin is burning up.

I tried to google the relationship whether eczema in itself can cause hot flushes but I didn't find anything. The only thing that shows up is hot flushes and itching in relation to menopause.

Quote from: HeyTrace19 on September 04, 2015, 10:26:47 AM
I began having similar issues after the ovaries were removed...itchy, dry skin, painfully dry eyes, increased hair loss.  No hot flashes, but I live in a warm climate, so maybe I just do not notice.  Having been on T for three years already at that point, I was fairly certain it was due to the loss of the estrogen factories and not an allergen issue.  My doc and I discussed upping my T dose a little, to see what would happen, but that caused some other undesirable effects such as polycythemia, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.  For my body, the dose of Testosterone is a delicate balance, and I must pick the lesser evils.  I am back down to a minimal dose and things have stabilized, but the dry eyes are very unpleasant!

Did you ever try to take some estrogen supplement? Did you ever investigate this more?

As for those concerned about increasing my T levels, I wouldn't be. I've been on the low but average range the last times I tested my levels, ranging at 16 was it?, about 12 hours after application last time I checked. For a normal cisguy, 16 is really low. I think I spiked at 19 shortly after application, so it's still low and barely within average range.

Also, have others found themselves needing to adjust the dosage as they went on? Increase or decrease, in order to sustain the same levels, even though they are using the same method e.g. gels, whatever?
  •  

FTMDiaries

Quote from: Ephemeral on September 05, 2015, 10:36:45 AM
As for those concerned about increasing my T levels, I wouldn't be. I've been on the low but average range the last times I tested my levels, ranging at 16 was it?, about 12 hours after application last time I checked. For a normal cisguy, 16 is really low. I think I spiked at 19 shortly after application, so it's still low and barely within average range.

This site has strict rules about self-medding, so I can't go into my doses or levels here. But I would like to say that the higher level you mention there is actually very close to the maximum T level that my GIC wants its patients to achieve. None of the levels you mention are low; they're actually very normal levels in cis guys.

It'd help enormously if you could get to see your endo ASAP... and if you could explain the hot flushes & eczema to them too.

•  

Ephemeral

Quote from: FTMDiaries on September 07, 2015, 04:49:10 AM
This site has strict rules about self-medding, so I can't go into my doses or levels here. But I would like to say that the higher level you mention there is actually very close to the maximum T level that my GIC wants its patients to achieve. None of the levels you mention are low; they're actually very normal levels in cis guys.

It'd help enormously if you could get to see your endo ASAP... and if you could explain the hot flushes & eczema to them too.

Are we even talking about the same measuring system, here?
  •  

FTMDiaries

Quote from: Ephemeral on September 09, 2015, 08:49:37 AM
Are we even talking about the same measuring system, here?

That's a good point, but I'd imagine we are because you've said before that you're in Sweden and I'm in the UK, and both countries use the same measuring system: nmol/l. They also have pretty much the same range of levels which are considered 'normal'.

Are you using a different system of measurement?

•  

Ephemeral

Quote from: FTMDiaries on September 09, 2015, 11:15:25 AM
That's a good point, but I'd imagine we are because you've said before that you're in Sweden and I'm in the UK, and both countries use the same measuring system: nmol/l. They also have pretty much the same range of levels which are considered 'normal'.

Are you using a different system of measurement?

From what I learned, the ranges I offered were in the low range, but yes, it was nmol/l.
  •  

FTMDiaries

Phew! That's cleared that up. :)

I'm afraid you've been misinformed if you think 16 or 19 are 'really low', and you might want to consult with your endo to determine the right levels for physiology. If I presented with those levels my doctors would be very happy with them, so I would urge you not to increase your dose without first having your levels tested & seeing your endo... and even then, only if they advise you to do so. They're also a good place to start looking for a solution to the hot flushes & skin problems you mentioned in this thread.

•  

Ephemeral

Quote from: FTMDiaries on September 11, 2015, 03:59:26 AM
Phew! That's cleared that up. :)

I'm afraid you've been misinformed if you think 16 or 19 are 'really low', and you might want to consult with your endo to determine the right levels for physiology. If I presented with those levels my doctors would be very happy with them, so I would urge you not to increase your dose without first having your levels tested & seeing your endo... and even then, only if they advise you to do so. They're also a good place to start looking for a solution to the hot flushes & skin problems you mentioned in this thread.

The problem is that I've yet to meet my endo. I'm still on the waiting list.
  •