Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Running into an old acquaintance

Started by lionheart, September 10, 2015, 06:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionheart

This is a pretty weird situation, and this might not necessarily be the right place to ask but I need all the advice I can get.

So, I recently moved out of state, and I just started at my new school. By some insane coincidence, there's a kid in one of my classes who I went to middle school with; it was in 7th grade, long before I came out, but I don't know if he remembers me or not. I remember having a class with him and we talked occasionally, but never outside of the class and we weren't very close.

This might not be that much of an issue, except for some stupid reason I decided to mention that I was from Michigan, too, after he said he was. He asked me where I was from and I panicked and told him I was from the city where I was born, where I only lived for about 4 years, and so he asked me if I was familiar with the area where we both went to middle school, and knowing I was already in too deep, I said no.

Since then he's been really nice to me, he talks to me in class and acknowledges me in the hallway and everything. To be honest, since school started, he's kind of the only one who's actually been that friendly to me. Despite all of this, every time I talk to him I feel really awkward and almost anxious, because I feel like he knows and I feel bad for lying to him. On one hand, I haven't seen him since the 7th grade and we were never that close in the first place. But the other hand, my chosen name is pretty similar to my birth name, and my face hasn't changed all that much either, so if he has any suspicion he could easily look in a yearbook and make the connection. Plus, since I don't know him that well, I don't know how he feels about the whole transgender thing or how he'd respond to it.

Does anyone know what I can do about this? I feel like I should wait and see if we get any closer, but every time he walks into the class I feel the elephant in the room and it kills me not knowing whether or not he recognizes me.
  •  

billystuart92

Personally I wouldn't worry, it doesn't sound like he's made the connection, or if he has he clearly doesn't mind and has chosen not to bring it up.

If it's something that makes you very upset constantly though you might be better off just letting him know, it doesn't have to be a big deal if you don't let it!
Do you have him on any social media? People frown on telling people stuff online but I think it's a good way to remove the anxiety of a face to face convo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •