Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Canadian radio station offers $40,000 prize for transgender person's transition

Started by stephaniec, September 10, 2015, 08:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Canadian radio station offers $40,000 prize for transgender person's transition

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/radio-station-offers-transgender-person-transition-article-1.2355640

New York Daily News/BY  Joel Landau     / Thursday, September 10, 2015, 2:50 PM

"This is one life-changing contest.

A top 40 radio station in Canada is offering $40,000 (about US$30,300) to help a listener transition to a different gender.

The New Hot 89.9 in Ottawa, Ontario, launched "The New Normal" contest Tuesday and sought personal stories from all Canadian residents. The winning entrant will be able to use the prize for hormone therapy, gender reassignment surgery and other associated costs including a new wardrobe, Program Director Josie Fenech told the Daily News."

•  

suzifrommd

I have such mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it will be great to have one less trans person trapped by dysphoria because they can't afford medical treatment (which should be covered like any other medical treatment).

On the other hand, I'm so uncomfortable with a radio station profiting from a transgender person the way a circus does from its freak shows.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •