Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Who here plays guitar?

Started by abd789, September 10, 2015, 08:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devlyn

Quote from: Serenation on September 11, 2015, 11:02:50 AM
Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 11, 2015, 08:21:01 AM
What, not one sample of music in this thread? I want to hear everybody playing!  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn

Heres one Devlyn, from the Top Gun Movie

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0SkWmkoP6jm

Thank you, that's what I'm talking about!  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

NikkiJ

Quote from: RitaChans on September 10, 2015, 09:13:04 PM
I have the worst guitar of all time

Norlin era, 1979 Gibson Custom, ebony and gold

everyone on the web hate them... best guitar I have ever owned

Don't listen to those people on the web with the Norlin snobbery. My '72 Custom rocks!!
Better watch out for the skin deep - The Stranglers
  •  

abd789

Quote from: NikkiJ on September 11, 2015, 01:03:38 PM
Don't listen to those people on the web with the Norlin snobbery. My '72 Custom rocks!!

sarcasm doesnt translate well via interwebs
  •  

Jill F

Not me...  ;D

Yes, I collect them.  Right now I'm ripping on a 1954-65 Frankenstrat- the best pre-CBS parts assembled into the best vintage guitar ever.  The pickups were made in the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop by my friend Maricela Juarez and were modeled after a set once owned by Jimi Hendrix and rewound/modified by Seymour.  I can almost nail some of Hendrix's tones with it and a 1969 Marshall Super Lead.
  •  

Stevie

Quote from: Jill F on September 11, 2015, 04:16:16 PM
Not me...  ;D

Yes, I collect them.  Right now I'm ripping on a 1954-65 Frankenstrat- the best pre-CBS parts assembled into the best vintage guitar ever.  The pickups were made in the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop by my friend Maricela Juarez and were modeled after a set once owned by Jimi Hendrix and rewound/modified by Seymour.  I can almost nail some of Hendrix's tones with it and a 1969 Marshall Super Lead.
Super leads are such sweet amps, what year is the neck on Frankie?
  •  

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on September 11, 2015, 08:21:01 AM
What, not one sample of music in this thread? I want to hear everybody playing!  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn

I play guitar! <--- Turn down volume before clicking!

It's super loud for some reason.  The original mp3 recording I made doesn't clip, but for some reason vocaroo has this awful db clipping on this recording.  I don't know how to get it to go away???

Doesn't matter I suppose... this is just for S&G's on here haha.

So this is a solo I wrote years ago and it's me playing all the backing parts and solo etc.  I've been playing and into music since I was 12, some 25 years ago.  Always loved creating and recording my own schlock haha.

I don't play much lately though :'(

•  

Devlyn

There we go!  ;D  I salute your axe wielding!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Stevie on September 11, 2015, 09:00:06 PM
Super leads are such sweet amps, what year is the neck on Frankie?

It's a super rare August 1965 custom-ordered extra large neck with binding.  It has a "2" on the butt stamp, so it was a Strat from day one, and not a cut down Jazzmaster (which could have had a "4" or maybe "13").  They probably made 20-25 like this.  The body is a 1954 pre-production model with the earliest of features, probably one of the first 50 or so ever made.  If it hadn't been badly beaten, refinished and parted out, it would have been worth a fortune.  Oh well, it's featherweight, sounds like a million bucks, and the best part?  It's mine.  ;D
  •  

AshBear

I've been playing guitar for about 8 years now, and still haven't gotten around to learning how to read music. :P

So, most of what I play starts like things I hear then turn into improv.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0dnGenjv0rx <- here's a bit on my 83' Fender Gemini II. (The ending kind of fell apart)

I'm only 16, so I don't have any "rare" gear, sadly. I do enjoy playing though either way.
  •  

Devlyn

Nice, AshBear! You're sixteen so you have a lifetime of guitar playing and collecting to do, look at it that way.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: AshBear on September 12, 2015, 04:24:00 PM
I've been playing guitar for about 8 years now, and still haven't gotten around to learning how to read music. :P

I've been playing for over 30 years and still can't read music... but don't feel bad about that, the most successful songwriter in history - Paul McCartney can't read music either.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

MugwortPsychonaut

I play all the rock and roll instruments. Guitar, bass, drums, keys, and I sing. I write songs, do all the recording, mixing, all that bru-ha-ha. It's the only thing I'm remotely good at. I actually write songs almost pathologically.

By the way V, that track you posted is rad. Totally hits me.
  •  

Obfuskatie

I played a little in High School, and picked up a decent Gibson acoustic then. I recently started playing again after picking up a cheap electric and play Rocksmith on my computer when I have time to practice. I'm much better at singing though, and don't really know how to read guitar music though I can read a percussion and piano score.

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •  

Serenation

Quote from: Ⓥ on September 12, 2015, 10:42:59 AM
I play guitar! <--- Turn down volume before clicking!

It's super loud for some reason.  The original mp3 recording I made doesn't clip, but for some reason vocaroo has this awful db clipping on this recording.  I don't know how to get it to go away???

Doesn't matter I suppose... this is just for S&G's on here haha.

So this is a solo I wrote years ago and it's me playing all the backing parts and solo etc.  I've been playing and into music since I was 12, some 25 years ago.  Always loved creating and recording my own schlock haha.

I don't play much lately though :'(

I'm not gonna lie, that was pretty epic
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

Stevie

Quote from: Jill F on September 12, 2015, 02:56:41 PM
It's a super rare August 1965 custom-ordered extra large neck with binding.  It has a "2" on the butt stamp, so it was a Strat from day one, and not a cut down Jazzmaster (which could have had a "4" or maybe "13").  They probably made 20-25 like this.  The body is a 1954 pre-production model with the earliest of features, probably one of the first 50 or so ever made.  If it hadn't been badly beaten, refinished and parted out, it would have been worth a fortune.  Oh well, it's featherweight, sounds like a million bucks, and the best part?  It's mine.  ;D

Binding on fender neck is rare especially a Strat, beside the Jazzmaster's I've only seen it on an old Bass VI,and a Fender XII. So is that a 7.25 radius or was that custom too?
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Stevie on September 14, 2015, 10:49:16 AM
Binding on fender neck is rare especially a Strat, beside the Jazzmaster's I've only seen it on an old Bass VI,and a Fender XII. So is that a 7.25 radius or was that custom too?

It started out as a 7.25, but now it runs from 7.25 at the nut to about 10 at the heel after the last refret.

I totally want a 1966 Fender XII, AKA the electric hockey stick.  See "Pinball Wizard" and "Stairway to Heaven".  (Yes, Jimmy Page played it live on a Gibson EDS-1275, but he recorded it with a Fender XII and Telecaster.)
  •  

cindik

Here's my current collection. I want a resonator, and maybe a bc-rich perfect 10.

--
50-something AMAB revgal transitioned 30 years ago.
  •  

NikkiJ

Quote from: Jill F on September 14, 2015, 03:24:40 PM
I totally want a 1966 Fender XII, AKA the electric hockey stick.   

Cool, make sure you get one with a straight neck. I'd like a Bass VI.
Better watch out for the skin deep - The Stranglers
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: NikkiJ on September 15, 2015, 12:41:04 PM
Cool, make sure you get one with a straight neck. I'd like a Bass VI.

This is why I don't just get one on eBay.  Planing and refretting a bound neck is never fun.

Bass VIs are the same way, but to a lesser extent.

Oh, and another pro tip- avoid Guild 12 strings like the plague.  They always need a neck reset, but they have the dreaded double dovetail joint at the heel that's damned near impossible to unglue, even if you've completely removed the fingerboard.  I see these for stupid cheap all the time, and this is why.  It's potentially a 20 hour/$1000 repair job.
  •