News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

holsters, skirts, and carrying

Started by Sigyn, August 13, 2015, 03:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigyn

[mods, please move if this may belong in another forum]

***Please note that it is not my intention to start a debate on gun control. This is not a political sub-forum***

I live in a "constitutional carry" state (Arizona), although I do have a CCW. Yesterday was the first day that I went "en femme" (love that term) today for the first time. As a rule, I wear long, ankle length flowing skirts and loose blouses that are tucked in the waistband and then bloused over. I'm currently a 4X blouse and a 18 skirt.

I'm used to IWB appendix carrying a compact pistol (Makarov) except when I am out in a more dangerous area I'll carry a larger pistol (CZ P-07 Duty) IWB at 5 o'clock. The issue I have is that both holsters require a sturdy belt to clip on to or snap on to. Obviously when I am wearing a skirt, this presents a problem, as most of them are elastic or tie on.

I have a thought that thigh carrying will be problematic wearing long skirts, so I'm looking toward a girdle or corset holster, such as made by Can Can Concealment or by Dene Adams. Has anyone had any experience with either of these or with any other holsters?
  •  

Sammy

We had thread where those nice holsters were discussed, btw... I just dont remember which one it was...
Found it, but I suspect it wont be of much use, unless You PM the OP and ask if they went with buying it and could provide any feedback.
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=162934.160
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Retired Deputy Sheriff here. Stick with a purse with concealed compartment. No female police officers carry under the skirt. :)
  •  

Zumbagirl

Quote from: Sigyn on August 13, 2015, 03:32:02 AM
[mods, please move if this may belong in another forum]

***Please note that it is not my intention to start a debate on gun control. This is not a political sub-forum***

I have a thought that thigh carrying will be problematic wearing long skirts, so I'm looking toward a girdle or corset holster, such as made by Can Can Concealment or by Dene Adams. Has anyone had any experience with either of these or with any other holsters?

My carry gun is extremely light and small (a smith and wesson titanium/scandium j-frame revolver) and it's very easy to conceal and carry. I use either my friction holster or a thigh holster. Since I dress up nicely for work with skirts and dresses, I don't want to wear a dress on the weekends and prefer shorts and flip flops. I rarely wear skirts anymore, but the friction holster had proven to be great for shorts, even inside the waist band. I've thought about a flash bang holster, but the woman who accidentally shot herself in the boobs has made me rethink that.
  •  

Colleen M

Would something like a Kangaroo work with your blouses?  Personally, I've about given up on carrying on my person without a serious gunbelt and just gone with the purse. 
When in doubt, ignore the moral judgments of anybody who engages in cannibalism.
  •  

Sigyn

Thank you for all the responses!

I have several concerns with purse carrying, in that:

1. my weapon is separated from my body. If my purse leaves my body, I'm unarmed.
2. I'm comfortable and practiced drawing from both appendix and 5 o'clock.
3. It just appears to be a lot slower and clunkier should I need it.

I can learn and practice drawing from other positions, so number 2 is my problem to deal with. Are there any comments about 1 and 3?
  •  

KristinaM

Any updates on this?  I usually carry with a heavy gunbelt IWB at ~4:00 and am curious about alternatives with non-baggy/sturdy female attire.
  •  

Sigyn

If I'm wearing jeans, I'll wear a gunbelt and my standard IWB holster for my Makarov, and just wear a loose blouse.

I'm waiting for some more work to come in before getting this from CanCan Concealment:

Depending on how it works with my Makarov, I may get a "big shebang" for my CZ-P07. The corset interests me as well.
  •