Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Model trains, yes I love trains and girls can...

Started by TGSine, December 08, 2015, 11:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Smith

Some years ago I gave N Gauge a go Tyslio with a small British themed layout and I actually started to build a scratchbuilt tank engine body on a Farish 0-6-0 chassis, - only I gave up before I completed it.  Far too tiny for this woman I'm afraid.  :D
That was an awfully good score though being able to buy that N Gauge collection.  Model railways are a good and creative hobby only I would hate to be trying to start off from nothing these days with the way prices are for things.

Northern Jane, - I love steam :D  There is a very active model engineering society in the next town with a huge outdoor dual gauge 5 inch/7&1/4 inch railway laid out through a public reserve.  When I was more well and could still drive I would go to their open days which were great fun.  The only steam experience I've had myself is with basic '0' Gauge locos and then only briefly which is something I regret.  (Come on girl, pull yourself together, - no regrets now....)

•  

TGSine

Quote from: Tysilio on December 09, 2015, 08:25:36 PM
N scale: Boston and Maine, depressed New England mill town ca. 1970.  Industrial waste polluting the river... homeless people under the highway bridge... lots of graffiti... dead cars...

The early 70s were the absolute lowest point for the B&M for revenue and maintenance --  so it's totally realistic when the trains derail.

The New Haven here...but my dad has a different history than the prototype...it is a successful railroad, with lines going to Washington DC and Chicago (They didn't merge into the PC, but they did sell off a few lines...the P&W, Housatonic and have a shortline - where my locomotive runs on the track...the Winsted and Western.
  •  

Lady Smith

So I decided to go with working on my large scale models again and I'll sell all my vintage tinplate stuff off to help fund my model making.  The rural town where I live has a fascinating history with logging and mining tramways and I've started to do some research to aid me in building up a historical based layout.  I'm also making contact with some of the railway related groups I used to belong to.

Hobbies are good.  Since I've started to think seriously about building models again I haven't been getting down so much about my health problems and other issues.
  •  

Devlyn

I googled the Ewing system and it brought me straight to your photos on that forum!  :)

I have a bunch of diesel era N scale stuff packed away, I never built a proper layout for it. My house is right on the Greenbush commuter rail line, they're some good looking trains. I'd like to model that.

Great topic!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Lady Smith

Ha ha, yes funny that  :D  I think i must be the only one who has attempted to make a model of a Ewings loco.  There's a particular make of rare 1920s French cyclecar I'm keen on as well and if you Google that it brings me up too  :laugh:

Be careful about building layouts Devlyn they can become very addictive.  I just Googled the Greenbush commuter rail line and wow, that is some cool colour scheme they have on their trains.
  •  

Devlyn

The purple paint is sold locally at the train shows and is a hot item.  :) Me and my buddy went for a ride on it one day last winter.

•  

V M

LOL... Looks like your buddy had a pretty good time  ;D
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Tysilio

MBTA!!! I thought I recognized that paint scheme -- used to live out there.

Ever go to Ken's Trains, Devlyn? (Ken retired a couple of years ago, alas.)
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

Devlyn

Where is Ken's? Someone brought me to a great hobby shop in RI once, but I can't recall the name. South Shore Hobbies was right around the corner from me before they closed, I usually went there and the shows. There's a club and layout in Hingham: http://www.ssmrc.org/#
  •  

Tysilio

It used to be on Rt. 20 in Sudbury. I hope Ken is doing OK -- I remember him as a sweet guy. One of the last times I saw him (it's been several years), he has just adopted a 10 year old golden retriever, and was so happy to have the company and to be able to help the old guy out.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

Lady Smith

I've been working on my large scale train stuff as therapy to get my brain and hands working together properly again.  Working on models this size is good, - especially now that my aging eyesight isn't so hot.

This loco is having a new wooden cab built as the old one was a bit small for 16mm scale.
  •  

V M

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Lady Smith

•