Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Mass media and the face/stereotype of the transgender community

Started by clearleeraines, September 07, 2015, 11:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clearleeraines

Everywhere I look it's about trans F2M or M2F Period. Thats it! thats US? all of us? They don't realize there IS so much more to it! agender,androgynous,etc.
YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE

Thanx, Clear.
YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE
  •  

kellb

My catchphrase of the moment is "being differently-different sucks!".  People like to think in clear binaries/dualities/partisanships... it's a human thing.  We form tribes/teams/troupes/groups/cults/cliques/cicles like nobody's business.  All of these things are deeply predicated on our personal sense of who we are and what is "Normal".

And then along comes us. :P

Remember the old rallying cry of "But it's not normal!"  Yeah, like normality is a good thing? It's normal that people die, that people fight, that people suffer.  Norm-ocracy is stupid.

Nobody likes fence-straddlers.  Bi-racial, bi-sexual, bi-gendered, non-binary, otherly-sexual... geeze, it's too complex to build a 10-second soundbite around!  We can't even get people just to realise that issues are more complex than Republicrats vs Demoplicans.   From the media's perspective, it's better stick to the clearly identifiable teams you can create a narrative around and establish empathy.  Even if they want to help, it's beyond their power to communicate it in an effective manner.
One day they woke me up; so I could live forever.
  •  

suzifrommd

I think the concept of non-binary fries people's circuits. Unfortunately for us, people are wired to see two binary genders and their imaginations don't stretch far enough to envision what non-binary might look like.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Allison Wunderland

Quote from: suzifrommd on September 08, 2015, 08:13:55 AM
I think the concept of non-binary fries people's circuits. Unfortunately for us, people are wired to see two binary genders and their imaginations don't stretch far enough to envision what non-binary might look like.

One problem is that insight into gender requires formal study in "gender theory" or ID with the group. Media can't present that sort of theory to a popular, hetero-normative audience.
"Let us appropriate & subvert the semiotic hegemony of the hetero-normative dyad."

"My performativity has changed since reading Dr. Judith Butler, Ph.D., Berkeley."
  •