Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What percentage choose not to do SRS?

Started by Jake25, June 12, 2015, 10:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake25

I don't know how many years it will take me before I start transitioning or if I'll even still want to years down the road. I was also thinking there may be better technology in 10 years.

What percentage of trans people do you think choose to be non-op?
  •  

Mosaic dude

I can't tell you anything about percentages, but I'm in the same boat as you regarding SRS. I want to see where the technology goes in the next few years.  I know a lot of guys are very happy with the results of their surgeries,  but I'm personally not sure about the current FTM options.  In fact after a couple of things I've read on here and a bit of Google research I'm not even sure the current methods are necessarily the best way to work with my anatomy.

And hey, the thing about non-op is that you can change your mind at any time.
Living in interesting times since 1985.
  •  

Elijah3291

that depends on what you classify as SRS, as a FTM when I think of SRS I think of bottom surgery, some people may think of SRS as top and bottom surgery.

I would say that way more FTM's get top surgery then getting both.

no harm in waiting, right now I don't plan on spending the money and dealing with the pain of bottom surgery, but if there are further advances in technology (and price/insurance coverage!) then it may be a possibility one day.
  •  

Tossu-sama

From my perspective SRS is bottom surgery AKA metoidioplasty or phalloplasty. I've had top surgery and hysto done but as for now I don't feel the need to continue further. But who knows how the technology develops in the future, maybe I'll change my mind and go for it.
  •  

Allison Wunderland

"Let us appropriate & subvert the semiotic hegemony of the hetero-normative dyad."

"My performativity has changed since reading Dr. Judith Butler, Ph.D., Berkeley."
  •  

Allison Wunderland

OTOH --

"Schizo-Morphia" (Latin: "split shape") a term I made up. It's the anxious post-transition realization that you're still who you've always been, but no longer who you were.

I'm not changing who I am, not changing my name, not changing the way I dress. I assiduously refuse to revise some sort of "personal bio" that integrates the narrative that once I was me and now I'm somebody else.

I'm still ME ! ! ! Always have been. Only now I'm a heap more relaxed, at ease. Big "out of the closet" moment is being entirely comfortable, unaffected, relaxed un-self-conscious about shopping for clothes. I even I'm able to examine, consider fabric/color/design, even discuss w/ nearby Cis-Women. No more pretending "It's for my wife!"

Been around fashion all my life, understand it. Women I talk to are amazed that I know what I'm looking at, can name design features like darts, gathers, hems, sleeve/shoulder treatments, pockets . . . Mom was partner in a hand-made fashion boutique, seamstress, tailor.

Finasteride and Spiro are going to take care of the androgens. I get to step off the testosterone bucking horse. I get vellus hair rather than the coarse stuff I need to shave -- toes to nose -- every 12 hours.

Wishing the genitals would just drop off, wishing I'd get a visit from the "gender faerie" -- Not gonna happen.

Looking here like the dreaded "man in a dress" -- But I have dear cis-women friends who can't/don't wear dresses.

"Mahu" is the Hawaiian native cultural term for "Middle People" -- those who embrace both ends of the heterosexual dyad. Considered shamans -- and this is very much broadly cross cultural -- Mahu and similar are viewed as having the magical power to inhabit both realms.

Not happy here as male.

Not able here as female.

Working on being "less androgen crazed" and developing the somewhat increasingly militant position that --

"My orientation and presentation is not an issue for me. If it's an issue for you, then that's your issue, not my issue."
"Let us appropriate & subvert the semiotic hegemony of the hetero-normative dyad."

"My performativity has changed since reading Dr. Judith Butler, Ph.D., Berkeley."
  •  

Shonjon15

Quote from: Jake25 on June 12, 2015, 10:43:22 PM
I don't know how many years it will take me before I start transitioning or if I'll even still want to years down the road. I was also thinking there may be better technology in 10 years.

What percentage of trans people do you think choose to be non-op?
Hey Jake25,
Just wanted to share my thoughts.
Im FTM have been trans since I was 4 but up until these last 3-4 yrs (besides crossdressing) had I done anything about it. I remember being in high school thinking the same thing. That the is no way Im doing SRS until they come up with some very impressive and inexpensive types. Im now 30 and 11mo on T. It seems they are making great progress so maybe by the time I'm 40 I'll do it. But for now Imma wait.  There are a lot of more inexpensive was to create the same experience especially with someone who let's you be u in the bedroom!!!! But I guess it depends on how bad your dysphoria down there is.  Mines livable as long as I pass for male in public,  and find partners that are open. 

ShonJon

•