Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Another Rite of Passage

Started by allisonsteph, September 27, 2015, 07:18:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allisonsteph

I have reached another milestone in my transition, I had my first mammogram on Friday.

I was almost as terrified of this as I was using the women's restroom at the beginning. I knew it was something that needed to be done, I am well past 40 and breast cancer runs in both sides of my family; yet somehow it felt like I was invading a sacred space and didn't belong there. The tech was wonderful, she was very gentle and was able to make me feel comfortable in such an awkward situation. The only question she asked was to clarify my response to "when was your last period?" on the intake form because I responded n/a.

In the end I was treated with dignity and respect and had nothing to worry about. The actual procedure while slightly unpleasant, was no where as bad as some of my cis friends had led me to believe; I am glad I did it.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

mfox

Wow, Congratulations!  I'm still worried I won't develop well enough to have a proper mammogram.
  •  

Dena

I have another name I call the machine they do the mammogram with but if I post it here, I will have to write myself up for a language violation  ;D The procedure doesn't hurt but sometimes it can be a little uncomfortable but they can take mammograms of some pretty small breast.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

suzifrommd

My doctor is waffling about whether I need a mammogram. The data is that breast cancer is no more common in transwomen on HRT as it is among men, so he's uncertain on whether I should have one.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Mariah

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

XKimX

I have been told that breast density has a lot to do with the effectiveness of mammography, and that it is reliable only with women why have been pregnant.  That seems to exclude us.  Does anyone know of any case where a transwoman has been detected with breast cancer through mammography?
  •  

stephaniec

•  

RobynD

As of this week, i was told to schedule my first one as well.  :)

•  

RobynD

Quote from: XKimX on February 17, 2016, 04:35:55 PM
I have been told that breast density has a lot to do with the effectiveness of mammography, and that it is reliable only with women why have been pregnant.  That seems to exclude us.  Does anyone know of any case where a transwoman has been detected with breast cancer through mammography?

I have heard of both CIS guys having mammograms and getting detection of cancer and at least one TG woman. Anecdotal, but i suspect that the modern machines and perhaps the techniques for reading the results are more effective.

•  

allisonsteph

Agreeing to routine mammograms was part of my informed consent agreement when I started HRT, particularly because breast cancer runs on both sides of my family. I now live clear across the country form where I did when I started on hormones, but it is something that I intend to keep doing.

In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •