Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Naturalization certificate turn around time

Started by iKate, September 18, 2015, 10:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iKate

I want to update my naturalization certificate. Yes, I know it costs $300. Yes, I know I can get by with my passport. But I want it updated especially since my birth country will never update my birth certificate.

Anyone done that, and how long did they take? I have heard that it would take a year???
  •  

KarynMcD

What office did you file it with?
Nebraska is showing about 6 months and Texas is processing from about November of last year still.
You can check processing times from this page:
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplay.do
  •  

iKate

Quote from: KarinMcD on September 21, 2015, 02:54:03 PM
What office did you file it with?
Nebraska is showing about 6 months and Texas is processing from about November of last year still.
You can check processing times from this page:
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplay.do

Haven't filed it yet. Filing for my passport first because I don't know if they need it yet.

So 6 months? That's fine.
  •  

makipu

Hi Kate, I also want to update my naturalization certificate. I already have my ID and passport changed to M. Is it true that no one will need to see the naturalization certificate for a proof of citizenship?
(My birth certificate is also foreign and I don't want to be bothered with that either unless I will need to show anyone? I am not sure.)
My passport took about a month to be changed.
I am male because I say so and nothing more.
I don't have to look or act like one therefore.
  •  

iKate

Quote from: makipu on September 28, 2015, 10:30:36 AM
Hi Kate, I also want to update my naturalization certificate. I already have my ID and passport changed to M. Is it true that no one will need to see the naturalization certificate for a proof of citizenship?
(My birth certificate is also foreign and I don't want to be bothered with that either unless I will need to show anyone? I am not sure.)
My passport took about a month to be changed.

Almost everywhere that requires proof of citizenship will accept your valid U.S. Passport as evidence of citizenship. In fact I think that the only place that won't accept it is the passport office, but that is only if you've never had a US passport before.

My main reasons for changing it is because I can and because it has his picture on it and I don't want any more reminders of him...
  •