Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Astronomy

Started by Tracey, August 28, 2012, 09:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmapwv

Quote from: jeni on August 26, 2015, 09:40:37 AM
:)

I do radio astronomy, where stars are relatively irrelevant (except when they're forming, dying, or returning to life as pulsars).

I live a few miles from this.... it is visible on the horizon and I used to know some of the staff who ran it. I have been "round the back" more than a few times. (BTW - for scale... the fence at the bottom right is 2m (6' 6") high. The whole dish is around 250ft diameter)

•  

Joelene9

Quote from: bmapwv on November 15, 2015, 12:37:53 PM
I am currently rebuilding my 10" f/5.6 Dobber. The main scope assembly is done but I need to make the box and fit the bearings and the whole thing has to be light enough for me to lift. A few years ago that was not an issue but now I have arms that look like transplanted chicken legs compared to the muscly, beefy ones of old. Picking up the old base box was simply out of the question and so a new, lighter one is needed.

One of these days .....
Sooner better than later! My case, the very thin arms got more muscle mass as with the girly things happening on HRT than before. My Doctor said that this does occur in a few cases. My feet have 50% muscular atrophy from the neuropathy but I still try. I've done more maintenance runs at my club's DSS than observing runs the past 4 years. At the star party 2 months ago, I was still pull pressing the 200 lb telescope up the ramp despite of of the numbness in the feet. I have to keep my ankles and legs upright so my feet won't slip on the truck bed. I cannot put much "English" to the feet anymore.

Joelene
  •  

janetcgtv

When I see a meteor shower,

I yell the end is coming!

its the end of the world!
  •  

TG CLare

Yes. I get my telescope out from time to time for some star gazing. Even if I don't have it out I look at the stars and wonder if anyone is looking back at me.

It became so much easier once I could orientate myself by using the constellations and stars to find other things.

I remember the days of the original 7 Mercury astronauts through the televised space shuttle flights until it was no longer shown on TV. Had space flight become that common?

Love,
Clare
I am the same on the inside, just different wrapping on the outside.

It is vain to quarrel with destiny.-Thomas Middleton.

Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dr. McGinn girl, June 2015!
  •