Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Help with Wigs

Started by SimplyThea, July 30, 2015, 09:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimplyThea

So I'm an mtf who is beginning to transition and unfortunately I'm balding pretty badly. I have come to terms with having to wear a wig, but I don't know much about them or about picking one that would be right for me. I want something that can be styled pretty similarly to a real head of hair and is fairly long so I have options when styling it. What kind of wig should I go with and how much should it cost me? I've tried doing research online and I seem to get conflicting answers and prices that range drastically even for the same type of wig. So I figured I'd ask here because someone might know more about them.
  •  

Confetti

I'm not an expert by any means but here is what I think..

Go for a lace front or full lace wig, the hairline is much more realistic than a standard wig.
You can get synthetic lace fronts which are pretty good, I just got one delivered today. These come in a range of prices to suit all budgets.
If your budget is higher you could consider getting a human hair lace wig.

Freetress Equal do affordable lacefronts and you can find them on amazon and other online retailers.
Googling Lace Front Wigs will take you to wig retailers online which will be helpful.
I'd also suggest watching some lace front wig youtube videos so you can see some reviews, what they look like and how to wear them etc.
  •  

lostcharlie

SimplyThea, Look up wig salons in your area, check their websites to get a feel for the shops practices ( do they have private fitting areas , how well trained is the staff etc. ) Send out some e mails and ask if they have any issues with serving a transgender client. Based on replies pick a salon. I did this exact thing and found a wonderful local salon, the owner is a real sweetheart, made me feel super comfy even though I was in guy mode the first visit and very nervous. She helped me pick a style that would work well with my face shape and complexion , did some trimming and snipping here and there so the wig would work best for me. Even though the prices at a salon may be a little higher than on line shops your less likely to end up with a closet full of wigs that really don't look that good on you.
  •  

Jessirules

Another route to consider is hair club, the have options for hair in a membrane that is basically glued to your head, then removed once every 4vto 6 weeks for maintenance.  It's not cheep but it's more like having your own hair.

Jessi

•  

byanyothername

Thanks for posting Thea, this will help me too. I just don't know what will or won't look good on me! I called up a wig salon who are happy to see trans girls and she was very welcoming. I did find out though that there would be a £40 consultation charge and that the wigs started from £175 which surprised me to be honest.

I know quality doesn't come cheap but this does seem very expensive. What do you all think?
  •  

Anna33

Kanakelon wig. You dont want something overly bright and fake looking. Try to buy 3 or 4 of the same style because you will most likely damage and tangle a few.

Brush them softly to stop the hair from tangling and you can wash it with woolite and cold water after 10-15 wears. Hope that helps x

Clara.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The truth is, I often like women. I like their unconventionality. I like their completeness. I like their anonymity. - Virginia Woolf
  •  

Lyric

While nothing's better than one's real hair, the one advantage to not having it is that wigs can fit the scalp quite well. If you get a front lace wig and use wig tape adhesive on the scalp you can fit the wig very closely to your head. Done right, this can look practically just like it's your own hair.

I've had a number of wigs and I strictly buy good quality human hair these days. There's more maintenance involved, but that's true for anyone's real hair. For constant use, synthetics tend to only last a few months, while a top quality human hair wig can go a couple of years with care.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

Life-as-Grace

Hi Thea, i ordered a wig from Wigs.com. The wig was around 154 dollars and its sythentic. The wig place EVERYONE should advoid, is wigsbuy.com. I unfortunately  ordered a wig from them last week and i didnt look at the reviews about the company and 98 percent were horrible reviews saying the wigs didn't come or it was really thin or wasnt what they wanted. Also, helpful hint if you can pay with Paypal, you can file a dispute with them and potentially get a refund. I didnt do that so I'm possibly out of 185 dollars. You always take a wig you bought and have it cut and styled at a salon or a wig store if you feel comfortable doing that.

Best of luck,
Grace
  •  

Marlee

the one I am wearing in my profile pic cost me about $200
got it online from the breastformstore
  •  

CrazyCatMan

hello, I studied fx makeup back when I was in high school and know some about wigs.

One of the things I learned when I was buying wigs was that just because it's cheap doesn't mean its looks bad, I have bought good looking wig for as little as $24

depending on where your balding there are different options, if your are balding on the top of your head or at the crown you can get what is called a topper, if your hair line is receding you can get a hair line wig. if you can i would try these first, they are much more comfortable than a full wig.

if you need a full wig i would suggest shaving any remaining hair off (i personally find it less itchy and essayer to keep on). I like lace top/front wigs made with Japanese Kanekalon Fiber or human hair. adjustable wigs are nice but any wig can be altered to fit with basic sewing skills. when i get a wig i get the hair thinned (or remove lace), many manufactures put a lot of hair on the wig and it can look too full to be natural. also wig tape can be a life saver.

Suggest buying multiple cheap wigs until you find what you like, ebay is a good place to start looking.
  •