Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Name changes

Started by Hypatia, September 12, 2007, 08:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hypatia

Questions:
1) The legal name change petition in my state can be done by filing with the clerk of the circuit court and paying a fee, it doesn't require a personal court appearance. The petition asks "The petitioner desires a change of name for the following reasons:". What is a good reason to put here for a male to female change that isn't likely to be rejected? One suggestion I saw at tsroadmap.com  said "In many areas transsexuals may have a hard time getting their name changed due to prejudiced judges. Well, I know of a way around it. File for the name change as you would otherwise, but for the reason of the change put that you simply do not like your present name (a perfectly valid reason), and make no mention of your transsexuality." But that seems awfully vague. What cogent-sounding reasons have you given that are likely winners?

2) What do credit card companies require in order to issue a new credit card in your new name?

3) I'd like to see a checklist of all the places that would have my old name (to make sure I get them all at once) and any special procedures needed for the change at each one.
Here's what I find about compromise--
don't do it if it hurts inside,
'cause either way you're screwed,
eventually you'll find
you may as well feel good;
you may as well have some pride

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Lisbeth

I was asked that question at my hearing.  The answer I gave was, "Because I can no longer relate to having a male name."  What I don't understand is how anyone would think that a judge wouldn't know why you are changing from a male name to a female name even if you don't use the word "transsexuality."  I didn't use that word at any time either, but I don't think there was any doubt about what was going on.

I would expect that your credit card companies will want to see a notorized copy of your name change court order.  They probably would make a photocopy of it and give it back to you.

Here's a list of places to change your name.  When you file, they may also have a list of places to give you.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Kate

Not to hijack this, but were any of you charged a large fee to update things like mortgage, titles, etc.?

~Kate~
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Kate on September 12, 2007, 10:16:22 AM
Not to hijack this, but were any of you charged a large fee to update things like mortgage, titles, etc.?

~Kate~
Expect mortgage companies and cell phone service providers to try and rake you over.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

•  

Hypatia

Here's the reason I gave--

I am transitioning to be a woman. I need a name that is appropriate to my gender.

Ol' Honest Abigail, that's me. Yep.
eventually you'll find

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Sandi

Quote from: Hypatia on September 12, 2007, 09:40:26 PM
Here's the reason I gave--

I am transitioning to be a woman. I need a name that is appropriate to my gender.

Ol' Honest Abigail, that's me. Yep.
Sounds perfect to me.  I had to appear in court, and that is basically what I told the judge although not the same words.

Quote from: LisbethExpect mortgage companies and cell phone service providers to try and rake you over.
I think that is probably true with mortgage companies. Fortunately I was refinancing to a lower rate at the time anyway, because my bank said that the only way the name could be changed was refinance under the new name. However the rest of the utilities, social security etc were free and painless.
  •  

gothique11

I don't know what it is like where you live (I don't know where you live) but here we fill it out on a form. I just put that I'm transgendered and that my old name doesn't reflect my new gender.

I changed over everything pretty easily -- I had to send a photo copy of my name change certificate that came in the mail. My cell phone charged me $20, but then I found out that it is illegal for them to do that (they have to use my new legal name, and they can't charge me for it -- no one can). I was going to call, but then they reverted the $20 a week after. So, I didn't call.

The misunderstanding that a company may have is that you are changing things over to another person, but they need to be clear that you are you and they have to change the name over -- I believe the US has similar laws, but companies will try to con you our of money or the employee you're talking to doesn't know what to do in the situation and will try to do an account transfer. But, actually, if you're a woman and you get married and legally change your last name, they do not charge you for it... in this case, changing your name legally is the same thing.

I'd look into the laws of your state; you are not a new person, but your name has changed. And I'm fairly certain they are not charging every woman who gets married an extra fee when they legally change their name.

•  

Hypatia

You pay a fee to cover the expense of processing the form. The civil servants who do these tasks for us need to get paid for them. A woman changing to her married name has already paid for a marriage license, the fee for which covers everything in the process, I guess.

Some civil servants are just like my loved ones
They work so hard and they try to be strong

--Talking Heads
eventually you'll find

--Indigo Girls
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Sandi on September 12, 2007, 10:14:50 PM
Quote from: LisbethExpect mortgage companies and cell phone service providers to try and rake you over.
I think that is probably true with mortgage companies. Fortunately I was refinancing to a lower rate at the time anyway, because my bank said that the only way the name could be changed was refinance under the new name. However the rest of the utilities, social security etc were free and painless.
I have heard of at least one case where the cell phone company used the name change as an opportunity to change the terms of the calling plan.  Unfortunately they didn't tell her they were doing that until she got the next bill.
--Julia Serano

•  

HelenW

This is what I wrote on my name change petition:
QuoteI have been medically diagnosed with a gender identity disorder whose treatment, as laid out in the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care for Gender Identity Disorders, includes the transition from the biologically assigned gender to the gender the patient identifies with.  As part of that transition I wish to alter my name in order that it be unambiguously female rather than male.

I had no problems at all with the court and received my order in due time.

I made up a list of name change notifications by going through my wallet and my checkbook.  That identified most of the places I needed to contact.  As I thought about it a few more items, really back burner stuff, came to mind.

The only organization that gave me trouble was Discover Card.  I sent them the info they told me to send to change my name: a copy of the court order and a photocopy of my driver's license.  I received a letter back (from Utah) saying they couldn't remove "Old Name" because he was still liable for debts incurred on the card.  After a bit of WTF? I called customer service and got a really nice person named Kathy who worked on the problem for me, she called me back twice (still working on it) and then I didn't hear anything for a week or so.  Just tonight I got a call from another person at Discover and after they verified that it was really me on the phone (SS number, etc.) they profusely apologized and gave me a $50 credit  (!!!???!!!???!!!) because of the snafu.  It turns out that they had removed spouse's name by mistake and kept both my old and new names on the account.  Go figure!

Other than that, almost every place I went I was treated with dignity and respect when I went to get my name changed on their records.  As a matter of fact, at the hospital's outpatient lab yesterday, the lady taking my information actually said, "Well congratulations!" after I told her!

I hope this helps and amuses!

hugs & smiles
Emelye
FKA: Emelye

Pronouns: she/her

My rarely updated blog: http://emelyes-kitchen.blogspot.com

Southwestern New York trans support: http://www.southerntiertrans.org/
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Emelye on September 13, 2007, 07:15:24 PM
I had no problems at all with the court and received my order in due time.
In my case "due time" was about 20 minutes.  Walk out of the court room, go down three floors, pay for the copies, and wait for the clerk to finish her paperwork.
--Julia Serano

•  

Hypatia

I went down to the county courthouse and submitted the petition the other day. I gave them a self-addressed stamped envelope. They said my court order will arrive in the mail in 2-3 weeks. Soon as I get that, it will trigger my on-the-job transition which is all set to go, as well as the new driver's license, SS card, and passport. I can't wait!
eventually you'll find

--Indigo Girls
  •