Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Getting in shape

Started by kittenpower, June 26, 2015, 05:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittenpower

I started exercising in April after a 2 year hiatus. I don't want to work out at a gym because I am intimidated by all of the beautiful in shape women that are usually there, and also because I can't tuck adequately enough to maintain comfort and concealment in women's work out attire. So, after seeing Shaun T on Dr. Oz, I decided to get his T25 workout DVD since what he demonstrated on the show seemed to be low impact type exercises. Well, big mistake, because it felt to me that T25 is all about high impact, and I was following the model that was supposed to be doing the modified low impact version. After a couple of workouts my knees were in so much pain, that I couldn't continue the program.

The next DVD workout program I tried was Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds series, and it is so awesome if you're trying to ease into getting in shape; it's not high impact at all, it's very easy to follow, and it didn't burn me out like some exercise regimens that make you dread your next workout. I slowly started breaking away from the DVD, and started lightly running, and I have now built up my running time to 45 minutes, and I am going to increase it to an hour starting next week.

I haven't given up on T25, and now that I am in better condition, and my knees are stronger, I'm ready to give it another try, because it's a really good workout, but as an out of shape person, it was just too much too soon. 
  •  

orangeskipper

Hello Kittenpower,

Congrats on dedicating yourself to exercise again.

I can tell you from experience, it will be great if you can make it a well-integrated part of your life now.

I don't want to make assumptions, but if SRS is in the future, it -may- get much harder to keep weight off in subsequent years. I had a three-year window post-SRS where everything hormonally and metabolically was perfect. After that, it got harder and harder for me to keep off the weight. It's been my observation that I am not alone in this experience.

Without knowing what part of the world you are in, maybe these won't apply, but I have a few ideas that may be heathy, fun, and compatible with where you are in our journey.

1) How about hiking (I mean workin it!) in the woods? We can have some modesty in the shade, there aren't many people, and good wardrobe selection can make for a good workout without the emotional and physical discomfort.

2) Branching off of #1, foraging in the woods is a popular new trend where I live. I didn't even know this was a 'thing', but it turns out that it can be fun, and a good workout to forage for fiddleheads and berries and mushrooms. Proper education with regard to identification is a must, of course.

3) What about Sea Kayaking? With this, you wear a bib kind of thing that seals you into your kayak. Paddling can be as intense an exercise as any I've found, and modesty can be preserved without holding back. You can even fish from a kayak now!

4) For at home, resistance tubing can be good for helping to maintain tone, and is 'Orange is the New Black' compatible:)

These are just a few ideas. They may not all apply, but my intent is to be supportive and share ideas that may help.

Who else has ideas for good exercise?

•  

SciNerdGirl

I just got back into exercise and restarted my diet two weeks ago.  So far it has been pretty low impact.  Just walking with one of the ladies from the office for about 30 min (on hills so there is some work going on).

When I was previously exercising I had myself up to running around 5K, 2-3 times a week.  I felt great, then life got crazy and I let myself go (pretty badly).

One thing that I was worried about before was strength training (everyone says it's super important) but since I wasn't on any HRT, the last thing I wanted to do was build muscle mass.  Now that I am on HRT (low dose, not necessarily for transition, mostly for dysphoria). I might add some strength training to the mix so I can tone up a hopefully be more effective than I was last time just doing cardio.

J.
If I want to look like a girl, I need to eat like one.

Happiness is getting your eyeliner perfect on the first try  :angel:
  •  

AnaSpencer0957

Got this tips from LifeHacks.  I'd like to share a few of those lesser known tips.

1) Exercise Daily
2) Duration Doesn't Substitute for Intensity
3) You Have a Set Point, Acknowledge It
4) Eat Healthy, Not Just Food That Looks Healthy
5) Watch Out for Travel
6) Starting Slow is Better than Fast
7) People Can Lift OR Anchor

And lastly, Set a goal for yourself!

"Our health is determined by our daily habits. The more you know, the healthier you are."
  •