Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Documentary - Girls to Men. Short review/opinion

Started by Daniel92, October 21, 2015, 05:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel92

I wanted to post something about this documentary that was on Channel 4 in the UK last week. It followed 3 female-to-male trans young adults through various stages of their transition.
A lot of people have taken serious offence to it and although it was a bit sensationalized I thought it was adequate enough for educating people who know nothing about trans guys. It showed how phalloplasty was done and showed some of a peri-areolar top surgery too. My parents sat and watched it with me and I can only hope it helped them!
Smile... it confuses people  ;D
  •  

Peep

Why do the general population have to know about genital surgery? I thought we wanted the foucs to be away from what's between the legs? But then i suppose if we moved the focus away from the actual treatment, there'd be nothing to make the doco about, it would just be like some dudes going to uni or cooking dinner or whatever haha

I haven't yet watched the doco because the ones i've watched already don't tell me anything i didn't find out in ten minutes on google and they kind make my dysphoria worse (i don't know why...)

as for educating actual trans peolpe, the NHS resources i've found online have been way more helpful than any documentaries, and trans visibility can be achieved in a less voyeuristic way.

in an ideal world i'd have been taught about gender issues in school and wouldn't have to rely on channel4 :P
  •  

Tysilio

People are curious. Ideally, they'd take the responsibility of educating themselves and look up the answers to their questions about genital surgery and other aspects of trans experience online, or read books on the subject. But it's not an ideal world, and I'd far rather see someone watch a documentary like this (assuming it's well done) than pester trans people with intrusive questions.

It's not our job to educate them, but they still need educating.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •