Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How to get my parents on board?

Started by SilverWing, October 27, 2015, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverWing

Some time ago I came out to my parents as trans. At the beginning they seemed like they were trying to understand, but since then they've acted more difficult. My mom pushes the subject away at best, and at worst yells at me about using a different name. My dad meanwhile has told me his opinion, and it's that "you'll always be a boy" and "there's no such thing as transgender" stuff.

What I'm wondering is, is there any way I could get them on board? Not necessarily to have them pay for my transition or HRT or anything, but just to be more accepting (and maybe let me wear women's clothes)?
It's a puzzle, because technically I'm still not alive.

Check out my blog at http://princessiris.tk/. (18 and over)
  •  

Dena

Unless you can get another adult on board, discuss it often and provide any information you can to them. It took years for my mom to see the light but she didn't object to a therapist. There is no quick and easy way unless you you get lucky and hit a nerve. Ask us as many questions as you need to educate your self before you discuss this with your parents so you can answer all there questions. The only short cut is if you can get them to join the SO section and from what you have said so far, that isn't likely.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

ThaliaNyx

Ouch. I expected my dad to be like that when my mom told him, that's why I asked her not to when I first told her. Luckily, all my dad said was "Don't start until you're absolutely sure because if you change your mind, everyone will think you're a freak."
I did, however, have one of my best online friends flat-out reject me. She said something along the lines of "God made you who you are and you have no right to question his decision." We still talk occasionally, but whenever I mention my femininity she instantly stops talking and ignores me.
Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long, till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
  •  

Elis

Sorry to hear that. Maybe send them stuff about being trans and hope they read it. They are some studies online showing it being a genuine medical condition and buzzfeed has done some vids on being trans. You could also dress more fem so your parents get used to it and subtlety use makeup. Or find a trans group for yourself. Hope this was somewhat helpful.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

suzifrommd

The first step would be to try to educate them. Make sure they know:
* You didn't choose to be transgender
* Being transgender doesn't go away on its own and it can't be "cured".
* It is serious. Severe depression and anxiety are common among those who ignore it.
* The only effective treatment anyone has ever found is for people to transition to a presentation that reflects who they are.

Try repeating these (in a non-emotional, low-key tone). Sometimes people need to hear things multiple times before they think about them.

Another thing that might help is to find another adult as an ally. Is there a relative, neighbor, family friend, or someone at your school who will understand and help your parents see how devastating for you not to be yourself.

And give yourself credit for bearing up under really tough circumstances. Stay strong.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

SilverWing

My mom actually told me later that when she read my coming-out letter, the first thing she did was go on the Internet and look it up. I'm assuming she Googled "my soon is transgender" or something like that. My dad, well, all he knows is what my mom told him and what he hears on the news.

From what I can see, one of their biggest problems is my name. My birth name is Dakota, but I chose Nicole as a female name. (While I know Dakota can also be a girl's name, I can't think of it in association with a woman anymore without instantly thinking of 50 Shades of Grey . And then moving on to the specific kind of sex portrayed in it. Just... Just no. I've got no beef with people who are into that sort of thing, but I can't have that be the first thing I think of when I think of my name.) Anyway, my parents are mad that I want to change my name, I think more so than me being trans. Almost as mad as me referring to myself as a hacker (the original version of the word, not the version the media likes to use). However, they don't like to talk about it (me being trans, not my name) and I'm reaaaly submissive when talking to my parents. Like when we start talking, I'm instantly shy. I don't really know how to get over that.

Another thing: they're in denial about my depression. I shouldn't still have it here because "we didn't pack that when we moved". In spite of my MDD diagnosis. (Unfortunately I didn't, while I was at it, ask the doctor to check for anxiety or gender dysphoria, just to have that official as well.) But yeah, the signs of depression are so obvious that even if Death himself came to the door and told them, it would be old news. I mean, I ran away twice and was suicidal.

Basically, I'm a really screwed-up person, and they know that. So, I'm not sure how to get them to take me seriously, or actually hear me out instead of cutting me off when I say something controversial (or stupid).
It's a puzzle, because technically I'm still not alive.

Check out my blog at http://princessiris.tk/. (18 and over)
  •  

Elis

I've seen your other post about your parents ignorance about your interest in computers. All I can say is just to wait it out like I'm doing with my dad. Time passes more quickly than you think, very soon you'll move out and have the life YOU want. I wouldn't stop emailing your parents about trans stuff though in the hope they may at least glance at the articles and learn something. I also really like the name Nicole, I've never come across someone with that name before :). Maybe your parents could pick a middle name for you and you could ask by saying  something like "I really respect your opinion and would love it if you could pick something for me". Could even be a unisex name if that makes your parents more comfortable.  I'm also shy around my dad and usually communicate through texting or email.
I also have spells of depression and wish I could just give up. I have to remind myself that time does go quickly, a day goes by as if only a second has passed. Keep posting and using the forum. You'll get where you need to be quicker than you think.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

ThaliaNyx

Talk over email instead - that way, you have a lot longer to formulate your words, and you also won't feel the need to let them talk over the top of you. I couldn't talk to my mom about my gender at first except by email, and I still can't talk to most people except over the web.
Somebody to lean on
  •  

ThaliaNyx

I just remembered something else that helped me out -  try listening to "Brave" by Sara Bareilles on repeat. I listened to that song for two hours straight while writing the first "coming out" email to my mom.
Somebody to lean on
  •  

Laura_7

Here are a few resources that might help:

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,197523.msg1756901.html#msg1756901

Well... I'd say be more stubborn than them  :)

*hugs*
  •