Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

name and gender marker change in hong kong?

Started by jordmungand, January 24, 2016, 10:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordmungand

blah
i live in this place yet i know almost nothing. i might need help with this even though most of you don't live here..

i heard we have to be 18 to be able to change our name?
it would be easier for me since i do not have my given english name printed on my id card, i don't know about my birth certificate, though.

i'm more nervous about the gender marker change.
i want to get a driver's license and i can do that when i am 18, but i might not be on treatment at that age, since i remember my mother saying i can only transition once i finish school. which would be me at the age of 20 something? since college / uni..
but i want to learn how to drive.

in hong kong we have to get our 18+ id card change once we turn 18 and it is very important that we do that. we cannot wait it out. but
but there will be a big fat chinese character for "GIRL" and F on the card and i don't want it.
it's ugly.

all of this is frightening... and i haven't even considered my passport and "return to mainland" pass...

is it all possible to change?
jordan | 17 | pre-everything | came out on facebook (march 6th, 2016)
  •  

Amy1988

I know this is off topic but why the urgency with 18 ID?
  •  

jordmungand

it is law

"When to Apply for Hong Kong Identity Card

Holders of juvenile identity cards issued between the age of 11 and 17 must apply for an adult identity card within 30 days following their 18th birthday. If such persons are outside Hong Kong, they must apply for one within 30 days of their return to Hong Kong.

If a person is a new arrival aged 18 or over and has been permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days, he/she must register for an identity card within 30 days of arrival.

If a person holds a permanent identity card issued overseas (in connection with a HKSAR passport issued abroad), he/she must apply for a new card within 30 days after returning to Hong Kong.

If a person's identity card has been lost, destroyed, damaged or defaced, he/she should apply for a replacement card at any Registration of Persons Office within 14 days."
  •  

Devlyn

Our Wiki on legal documents has no information for Hong Kong, we apologize for that. :(  If you find any information that we can add to the Wiki it would be appreciated, and you would have the satisfaction of knowing that you helped the next person looking for information.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn

https://www.susans.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_changes
  •  

jordmungand

i just thought it would be a hassle to go through every thing if i can help it
no need for apologies, devlyn =) i understand.
there is limited talking of this in hk because hk is rather reclusive and small, with little protection against discrimination

i asked a fellow ftm who lives in hk through facebook, he gave some helpful tips.
from what he told me, it seems that you can only change the gender marker on documents and hkid card when you have both top and bottom surgery.

also;

from the immigration department of hong kong's official website
Q22. What procedures should be followed and what supporting documents should be submitted if I want to change the sex entry on my identity card?
Generally speaking, persons who have received different forms of treatments by professional psychiatrists and clinical psychologists, including psychotherapy, hormonal treatment and real-life experience of the chosen gender role for a period of time may be recommended for sex re-assignment surgery (SRS).
Persons who have undergone the above treatments and have completed SRS should follow the below procedures and submit application together with the relevant supporting documents to reflect their change of sex on their identity cards:
(a) produce a medical proof which should indicate that the following criteria for the completion of SRS are met:
   (i) for sex change from female to male
removal of the uterus and ovaries; and
construction of a penis or some form of a penis;
   (ii) for sex change from male to female
removal of the penis and testes; and
construction of a vagina;
(b) In general, the medical proof should be produced by the doctor who performed the SRS in accordance with the criteria as set out above;
(c) If the SRS was performed outside Hong Kong, the medical proof should carry the doctor's medical qualification, place where the medical qualification is obtained and other contact information of the doctor;
(d) Where there are difficulties in obtaining the relevant medical proof from the doctor who performed the SRS outside Hong Kong, the applicant may request a Hong Kong registered doctor to give an assessment on the SRS that has been undergone;
(e) Please refer to the sample medical certificates which are available through the following link.
Sample medical certificate for registered doctors practising in Hong Kong
Sample medical certificate for doctors practising outside Hong Kong
Other forms of medical proof used by medical practitioners may also be accepted when the relevant information supporting the application is contained; and
(f) Upon receipt of the relevant documents, consideration will be given to whether to allow amendment of the personal particular sought by an applicant having regard to the particular circumstances of the case.
Notes to applicants:
Further information may be required for processing the applications depending on case circumstances.
To ensure consistency in identity documents and avoid possible inconveniences, the applicant may be required to make corresponding changes to other identity documents (e.g. travel documents) as necessary.
  •  

Amy1988

Quote from: jordmungand on January 31, 2016, 07:54:13 AM
it is law

"When to Apply for Hong Kong Identity Card

Holders of juvenile identity cards issued between the age of 11 and 17 must apply for an adult identity card within 30 days following their 18th birthday. If such persons are outside Hong Kong, they must apply for one within 30 days of their return to Hong Kong.

If a person is a new arrival aged 18 or over and has been permitted to stay in Hong Kong for more than 180 days, he/she must register for an identity card within 30 days of arrival.

If a person holds a permanent identity card issued overseas (in connection with a HKSAR passport issued abroad), he/she must apply for a new card within 30 days after returning to Hong Kong.

If a person's identity card has been lost, destroyed, damaged or defaced, he/she should apply for a replacement card at any Registration of Persons Office within 14 days."

Are there criminal penalties for non compliance?  It sounds serious?
  •  

jordmungand

i think there is because you can get away with a few things if you're a junior

but obviously i dont really wanna find out what punishments there are =p

this might not seem related, but there are punishments for those who are found to keep more than one id card. jail time and a fine.
  •