Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Purchasing Makeup and Other Beauty Products as a MTF

Started by Punzie, September 25, 2015, 06:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Punzie

Hi, so I'm still very early in my transition. I'm worried about going to a store and purchasing makeup while looking like a boy. I've considered purchasing online, but I'm not sure if I would be able to find the right products that match my skin tone. In terms of make up, I'm shooting for a natural but cute look. I've watched a few youtube tutorials and for now I hope to get foundation, concealer, lashes, eyeliner and maybe mascara. The foundation and concealer would help cover blemishes and give a natural look, while the lashes and eyeliner would help make my eyes look larger and more kawaii. I am also considering buying circle lenses (they make your eyes look super cute and full) but they are not sold in the US so purchasing online would be the only option. I'm wearing prescription contacts now, so I'm not sure how that is going to even work (can you even put a contact over a contact? or would I have to see if the circle lens comes in my prescription?) Anyways, please do share any advice or tips on how you go about purchasing your makeup as a MTF. Thanks!
My Journey
9/1/2015 Fully accepted myself as Transgender
9/24/2015 First Therapy Session with Therapist
9/25/2015 Joined Susan's Place
2/?/2016 ~ Hopefully starting HRT!
  •  

Ms Grace

If you feel uncomfortable about going into a store then shop online, just buy a few things to begin with - that way even if it isn't the right tone then you won't have wasted much money and will be able to aim closer next time. (That's how I did it!) Depending on where you live it may not be a problem anyway, most cosmetic stores are probably used to selling to both genders - after all they want business and what you do with their products is none of their concern.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Deborah

Just go in the store and buy whatever you want.  I have  never had anyone say anything at all.  The first few times will be stressful but there is really nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Rue

This is one of those issues that only looms large for us (I guess it's an extreme version of the Spotlight effect).

In practice, I will wager you dollars to doughnuts that nobody will bat an eyelid. I avoided womens' wear, lingerie and cosmetic sections for years out of this fear of...what? Hostility, mockery...though to be honest I can't really tell what I was thinking. It was just tooooo intimidating darlink.

Once you've done it a few times, you'll just laugh at your own previous bashfulness :).

•  

KristinaM

Try shopping for some basic makeup supplies at a local (or distant) pharmacy.  CVS, Wal-Greens, Rite-Aid, etc... They all have good makeup selections usually.  Revlon, Loreal, Covergirl, etc...
  •  

Punzie

Hmm, I think I'll be courageous and try shopping at the Walgreens near my house since its usually not so busy and I doubt I'll see anyone I know. If I'm ever going to be able to become full time, I might as well start trying to get used to doing everyday shopping for things from now on.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support everyone! :)
My Journey
9/1/2015 Fully accepted myself as Transgender
9/24/2015 First Therapy Session with Therapist
9/25/2015 Joined Susan's Place
2/?/2016 ~ Hopefully starting HRT!
  •  

lisarenee

If you go to a drug/grocery store, most folks either won't care or will just assume you are buying for someone else. I remember buying lipstick for the first time when I was a teenager. The cashier said something along the lines of "buying for your girlfriend" and I just kinda nodded rather than admitting it was for me.

That was about 20 years ago. Nowadays, you could go into Sephora and they'll happily help you find the right shade, etc...Only thing that will get hurt is your wallet.
  •  

Kanda Jo

I think it's easier to buy makeup in guy mode than it is to buy clothes...I'm not sure why it's different for me.
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: Kanda Jo on October 03, 2015, 05:10:51 PM
I think it's easier to buy makeup in guy mode than it is to buy clothes...I'm not sure why it's different for me.
Have a piece of paper ready and look at it from time to time... inferring its to bring something along for someone  :)
  •  

Kanda Jo

Exactly! When I bought some dermablend from Ulta, I once told them it was for a videoshoot so they could match my skin tone.

Quote from: Laura_7 on October 03, 2015, 06:02:00 PM
Have a piece of paper ready and look at it from time to time... inferring its to bring something along for someone  :)
  •  

RavenL

What I do when I bought makeup was go to a Walmart with a self check out during the night. Really after 10 at night they are dead and if anyone sees you they don't care. So that might be something to think about.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

•  

Chrissy1

I am just learning everything now and decided to get some makeup today. Like you I have no idea what colors or tones yet. I actually did get put on the spot as to why I needed makeup by the clerk. Thinking fast without thinking I simply replied that the that I am in a play and the stage lights completely wash out my face. No I'm not an actor, but it worked.
  •  

michelle

I have felt free to shop for myself in the female departments of stores for the past five or six years.  In 1999 when my marriage broke up, I went shopping for my ladies clothing by myself.  I went to Walmart and picked up some groceries and threw in some feminine items like was was shopping for my wife.   When you are married for over twenty years and have daughters you are used to being in the female departments of stores.   The first barriers I had to break down were being comfortable buying my own effeminate clothes.   

When I meant my current partner over 13 years ago on Susan's chat line,  she knew that I was a trans lady from the beginning.  I have spent years shopping with her picking out all of the clothes I currently wear.   So buying my dresses and bras with my current family has helped me  overcome all of fears of shopping in the women's section of stores.  In fact, I feel uncomfortable shopping in the men's sections of stores.

When it comes to make-up I am a novice.  I keep it simple.  I have also found that when I put on make-up it is gone with the wind in a flash.   I am tanned all the time because of where I live and having to walk or use public transportation to get around,  so I don't need foundation and power to not look pale.   My facial hair while coarse is very light so unless you get really close to me my facial hair is not noticeable unless you're a person who really looks a person over with a picky eye.  I have my make up which I carry in my purse all the time, but I rarely use it.   

This is my choice as a woman not to use makeup often because I don't need it to hide my male facial hair.   I just shave a lot.

I have gotten so used to being my female self it would scare me to dress as my old dyke self.

It takes time.
Be true to yourself.  The future will reveal itself in its own due time.    Find the calm at the heart of the storm.    I own my womanhood.

I am a 69-year-old transsexual school teacher grandma & lady.   Ethnically I am half Irish  and half Scandinavian.   I can be a real bitch or quite loving and caring.  I have never taken any hormones or had surgery, I am out 24/7/365.
  •  

Eva Marie

I started buying makeup by picking up a single item at a time at the grocery store or at the pharmacy - I wasn't concerned about the quality of the makeup; I just needed somewhere to get started so that I could learn and those items sufficed. Over time I eventually built up my collection of makeup that I used to learn with.

I only had one instance of "trouble" and thats when the checker held up the item in front of everyone and asked it it was mine - I just told her yes and she rang it up. I doubt anyone even noticed even though it seemed huge and scary to me at the time  :laugh:

You'll eventually learn that a lot of the potential issues with buying femme things are just in our minds - the people checking you out couldn't care less what you are buying.

•