Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Is it even worth it?

Started by Toddin3D, October 15, 2015, 08:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toddin3D

Posting here since it's kind of about the detransitioning process more than the actual HRT treatment.

So I've been reading more and more about HRT, but suddenly everything came crashing down after I read that I may have to stay on it for the rest of my life for a variety of reasons just to keep myself in good health.

I've also read that after I stop taking T, my body will revert back to female patterns. I guess this is a stupid question, but is everything going to go away after I stop HRT? I know things like the voice is an irreversible change, but what about everything else? Will my face become more feminine? Will I end up losing the masculine body and get curves again?

Is it all even worth it?

I definitely should be asking a psychiatrist about it (turns out the person I was seeing for counseling was a psychiatrist and not an actual therapist like the person on the phone said) but my appointment is still pretty far away so I might as well ask here in the meantime.
  •  

Dena

Gee, it would be nice if it works that way. I wouldn't have needed my beard remove or my voice surgery. Some features such as fat distribution will vary depending on the hormones you are receiving but some features will remain permanent.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Bunter

I know a couple of trans men who have stopped taking T after some years (at least 3 or 4). They still pass as men (provided they had good passing when they were on T).

The voice stays the same, and so do certain physical changes like the male face form, and the beard.

The physical shape gets more rounded again, so that you might look somewhat in-between from behind.

Generally it's an individual thing, some people look completely male without T, others look more androgynous. But going back to 100% female would be not that easy.

It is certainly possible for trans men to do it this way, provided that you kept your ovaries. You need some hormones in your body to function physically, and with the ovaries removed you could get serious health issues, also many people report strong depression and lack of physical energy without any hormones. Your bone health could be affected irreparably without hormones.

But that is not a problem when you keep the ovaries.

•  

Tamika Olivia

It's worth considering that everyone is on hormones for the rest of their lives. You get yours from an external source, while a cis man would get them from his testicles. And if that isn't comforting, consider that many adults over middle age are reliant on one prescription or another.

I can't answer the "Is it worth it question" but let me pose it to you this way: Is being your true self worth taking medication?
  •  

Toddin3D

(Late response is late, I know.)

After a few days of thinking, I have read the responses on this thread and did a little more research. Thanks y'all. I feel so much better and I do plan on HRT. As much as I hate needles, I am kind of excited for it actually (at least for the positive changes), and I do plan on discussing it with my psychiatrist.

My current plan is to stay on it for 5 years (10 at maximum, it's do-able but definitely not preferred), but that completely depends on how much T affects my body. So the time on T will change in the future. But overall, it definitely is worth it.

I didn't mention this earlier, but I don't plan on getting bottom surgery. I don't really feel any dysphoria in regards to the lower half of my body, so I don't feel the need on changing it. So, pretty much everything is staying except my breasts (which I do have negative feelings about).

Again, thank you all so much. I did feel better after reading the comments. I'm just really bad and forgetful with replying.
  •