News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Why People Are Already Mad At Michelle Rodriguez's New Transgender Movie

Started by stephaniec, October 30, 2015, 01:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

Why People Are Already Mad At Michelle Rodriguez's New Transgender Movie

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-People-Already-Mad-Michelle-Rodriguez-Transgender-Movie-91337.html

Cinemablend/By Mike Reyes  10/29/2015

"When we had first heard about Tomboy: A Revenger's Tale, we had a feeling it would ruffle some feathers. Sure enough, we've got the first statement coming out against the film today, and it falls in line with the most logical complaint one could lodge against it."
  •  

Ms Grace

QuoteThe most interesting part about Adams' statement against Tomboy: A Revenger's Tale, is the fact that he readily admits that he hasn't read the script.

OK, the film synopsis does sound a bit dodgy but I wish for once people would stop rounding off on movies when they haven't seen them or haven't the foggiest idea what's really going to happen.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

stephaniec

•  

Peep

Seems a little early to judge. It's possible to have a comedy about gender (i'm assuming this isn't meant to be a serious movie...) without being insensitive.

Personally i think that the more movies that aren't the same kind of ultra sensitive maudlin 'coming out' plotline the better.
  •  

Michelle-G

Quote from: Ms Grace on October 30, 2015, 02:06:25 AM
OK, the film synopsis does sound a bit dodgy but I wish for once people would stop rounding off on movies when they haven't seen them or haven't the foggiest idea what's really going to happen.

I agree, we as a society (and LGBTQ activists in particular) are far too quick to express outrage without any sort of analysis or reflection before they go ballistic.

Kinda reminds me of the brouhaha over The Last Temptation of Christ. Religious groups went nuts before anyone had seen the flick, forcing star Willem Dafoe to go on a press tour to defend the movie. Turns out the criticism was unnecessary, as the movie tanked at the box office anyway. Michelle Rodriguez hasn't done anything worthwhile besides her participation in the Fast and Furious series, so unless Sigourney Weaver's star power can pull this thing along (Willem Dafoe couldn't do it) then I predict this will flop also.

That said, a hit man undergoing forced gender reassignment is pure exploitation. Now, if they wanted to have a hit man undergo a gender reassignment they might have used the idea behind Hit or Miss, where the hit man (now woman) actually was going through transition. Sure, you have to suspend disbelief, but it seems logical in the plot line. But forced feminization only reinforces the kink aspect that people associate with gender transition.

Oh, yeah - and the red dress is fab!
  •  

Serenation

Quote from: Michelle-G on October 30, 2015, 08:00:45 AM
I agree, we as a society (and LGBTQ activists in particular) are far too quick to express outrage without any sort of analysis or reflection before they go ballistic.

Kinda reminds me of the brouhaha over The Last Temptation of Christ. Religious groups went nuts before anyone had seen the flick, forcing star Willem Dafoe to go on a press tour to defend the movie. Turns out the criticism was unnecessary, as the movie tanked at the box office anyway. Michelle Rodriguez hasn't done anything worthwhile besides her participation in the Fast and Furious series, so unless Sigourney Weaver's star power can pull this thing along (Willem Dafoe couldn't do it) then I predict this will flop also.

That said, a hit man undergoing forced gender reassignment is pure exploitation. Now, if they wanted to have a hit man undergo a gender reassignment they might have used the idea behind Hit or Miss, where the hit man (now woman) actually was going through transition. Sure, you have to suspend disbelief, but it seems logical in the plot line. But forced feminization only reinforces the kink aspect that people associate with gender transition.

Oh, yeah - and the red dress is fab!

she was in another movie with Sigourney Weaver it was pretty popular. I always like her tomboys roles the world needs more rolemodels like her, hopefully this movie isn't offensive
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

suzifrommd

I have to say, the idea of cisgender character forced into a sex change is intriguing. They'd have the same sort of gender dysphoria we do. Unfortunately I don't think the movie will approach that as an intellectual exercise.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Michelle-G

Quote from: suzifrommd on October 30, 2015, 08:28:54 AM
I have to say, the idea of cisgender character forced into a sex change is intriguing. They'd have the same sort of gender dysphoria we do. Unfortunately I don't think the movie will approach that as an intellectual exercise.

You know, that's an interesting thought. Dysphoria after transition caused by being in the wrong body. Hmmm . . . .
  •  

Peep

Quote from: Michelle-G on October 30, 2015, 09:34:14 AM
You know, that's an interesting thought. Dysphoria after transition caused by being in the wrong body. Hmmm . . . .

A bit like Andreas Krieger?
  •  

Michelle-G

Kind of, but not entirely. From what I understand the imposed doping he went through exacerbated some pre-transition feelings of dysphoria that had already been present.

But that might be an interesting idea to present to opponents who question the validity of how gender dysphoria leads to one desiring a gender reassignment. The question might be "If you suddenly woke up in a body of the other gender, how would you feel? Would you want to change back to the body you had? That feeling of being out of place post-transition is what we feel pre-transition."
  •  

stephaniec

Michelle Rodriguez to Star in Gender-Reassignment Thriller 'Tomboy' (Exclusive)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tomboy-michelle-rodriguez-star-gender-834998

Hollywood Reporter/October 28, 2015  8:31am PT by  Borys Kit

"Look out, she's got a knife! Sigourney Weaver is on board as a rogue surgeon.
Fast and Furious star Michelle Rodriguez will go under the knife for Tomboy, A Revenger's Tale, the gender-swapping action movie to be directed by Walter Hill."
  •  

stephaniec

LGBT group blasts Michelle Rodriguez 'sensationalistic gender reassignment thriller'

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/10/30/lgbt-group-blasts-michelle-rodriguez-sensationalistic-gender-reassignment-thriller/

Pink News/By Joe Williams   10/30/2015

"GLAAD has criticised a new Hollywood thriller about a hitman forced to undergo gender reassignment surgery.

'Tomboy – A Revenger's Tale' will star openly bisexual actress Michelle Rodriguez as a male assassin who falls into the clutches of a rogue surgeon named The Doctor.

The surgeon – played by Sigourney Weaver – then transforms the character into a woman against his will."
  •  

Jill F

Walter Hill...  Why am I not surprised?   Dude made a career out of making bad movies. 
  •