Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Hows it spose to work

Started by lily paige, October 29, 2015, 04:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lily paige

Ok so ive been seeing my psychologist and got an assessment from him and took it to a gp that deals with transgender people. So he wants me to go see a psychiatrist! I feel offended . Is this process normal or should i find another gp. is there a point in going to a psychiatrit, what is the out come spose to be and the refered psychiatrist have a 7 month waiting list. I feeling frustrated

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

•  

Serenation

Hi lily, are you trying to get hormones?

edit nvm, read the other thread. I have same advice as in that one.
I will touch a 100 flowers and not pick one.
  •  

lily paige

Which other tread is that

•  

Serenation

•  

lily paige

Yup thats the psychiatrists that i was referred to. Mr fintan harte 7 month waiting list i can get in at the end of june if i wish.

•  

Ms Grace

Effectively any psychiatrist will be able to refer you on to an endo. Such is the way it works here in Oz. It doesn't have to be anyone specific but obviously if they have some experience with gender identity that will be a bonus. Maybe there's another psych you can see earlier, try to negotiate with your GP.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Sarah82

What state are you in?

When my GP referred me to the gender clinic in Brisbane I asked about the psychiatrist and endocrinologist and thought I had to jump through many hoops but I didn't!

After speaking with the doctor at the gender clinic and telling her my story (we spoke for nearly two hours) she told me that none of that was necessary in Queensland unless there were medical or psychological contraindications and wrote me a script for Spiro that same day.

She even offered to link me with the clinics psychologist as the one I had been seeing on the coast charged a $90 gap fee and the clinic bulk bills.

So if your state has a gender clinic contact them and see if your gp is following state guidelines and if not find a new gp.

Hugs and good luck,
Sarah

•  

Serenation

Quote from: lily paige on October 29, 2015, 06:42:48 AM
Yup thats the psychiatrists that i was referred to. Mr fintan harte 7 month waiting list i can get in at the end of june if i wish.

Fintan is director of southern health gender clinic, you will at least have access to hrt and srs through him if that's your goal. They also have speech pathologists and support groups etc, I found him to be more of someone that guides you through the system than someone that will provide you with therapy. You are on the right track and there are plenty of things you can do in that 7 months to work towards your goals.

I was living full time and hrt many years before I met Fintan so I can't elaborate on that aspect of it. If you have a GiD diagnosis and you wanted to pursue hrt before I'd ask the GP about it. Maybe they will give you some blockers if that's what you want to do.
  •  

Ms Grace

Quote from: Serenation on October 29, 2015, 09:04:28 AM
...there are plenty of things you can do in that 7 months to work towards your goals.

This is true - I'd advise getting started on beard removal ASAP, especially if you need to go down the electrolysis path as it will take you one to two years to complete and a head start is a good idea.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

lily paige

I have talked to people who have gone to north side who didn't need to see a psychiatrist or endo. From what they said there is not set pocudure it all depends on your doctor

•  

AnonyMs

If you have the money to travel could could probably speed it up a lot by going interstate. I doubt it takes very long it Sydney (not sure as I didn't do the usual thing).
  •  

lily paige

I have all ready started laser hair removal. I am starting to bald at the front of my hair line and wondering if i should start using regain or some thing to help hair regrowth. Any ideas or experience with that anyone

•  

AnonyMs

Quote from: lily paige on October 30, 2015, 10:45:37 PM
I have all ready started laser hair removal. I am starting to bald at the front of my hair line and wondering if i should start using regain or some thing to help hair regrowth. Any ideas or experience with that anyone

I believe getting rid of testosterone will fix that, and some small amount may even grow back.
  •  

Tiny

You may also want to look at other hair restoration options, or even if a nice hair do will help. :)

Once you're on Regaine you'll have to keep using it forever or the hairs grown with it will fall out again.
  •